Author Topic: Can anyone please recommend a good sleeping bag?  (Read 4382 times)

hwilson019

Can anyone please recommend a good sleeping bag?
« on: October 30, 2008, 09:56:38 am »
Hey everyone, I planning a winter trip and want to get the best suited sleeping bag that is going to keep me snug on freezing cold nights, but will also be compact. Any ideas?

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Can anyone please recommend a good sleeping bag?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:30:40 am »
hwilson019 ,

To my mind you cant beat a Down sleeping bag.  They are much less bulky that synth.  They are also more comfortable to sleep in.  The down side is that they are expensive and must be keep dry. They are also a pain to clean, but let me assure you that the benefits FAR out way the negatives.

About 10 years ago I purchased a Mountain Equipment Snowline - it is still in regular use.  This is a Very warm bag (good down to -9c),  It is a great do anything bag,  I use it for summer camping, touring and alpine mountaineering.  However it is not the smallest of the down bags (pack size 23cm by 30cm) and in summer it sometimes get a little too hot - even when used as a quilt.

Last year My wife purchase a Mountain Equipment Xero 550 this packs a good deal smaller (19cm by 28cm) It is much better in the summer and autumn but it is only good down to about 0c.  My wife really feels the cold so if it looking like a cold night she uses a cheapo synth bag on the outside of her Down bag.  It works a treat!

freddered

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 10:33:06 am »
You just described a Down sleeping bag.

As for design I love the Mountain Equipment range.  The ones with elastcated middle section are superb as they allow you to sleep on your front, with a knee out, but still keep toasty and warm, snug but not claustraphobic.

PS.  I didn't even read Stutho's reply before I wrote this so that's 2 ME independent recommendations

julk

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 11:03:34 am »
As an alternative, consider buying an Alpkit down bag.

I have a Pipedream 400 and like it a lot.

bobs

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 11:04:08 am »
Alpkit do some well priced down bags.

john28july

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 11:12:18 am »
I use a North Face Superlight Down in Winter and a Mountain Equipment Dragon in the rest of the year. Both down and very good, plus costly.
John.

beatsboy59

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 11:04:24 pm »
Whatever bag you choose,i would suggest a fleece liner which will add comfort even when damp.On extended tours any bag will become damp during persistent wet weather because you add body moisture during the night,wet weather during the next day means you will be unable to air your bag and it will get progressively damper and clammy next to the skin.I had a Snugpack Quart system for many years and still use the fleece liner .

jags

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 12:47:37 pm »
alpkit pipedream 400 great down bag packs small.very well made .

bobs

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 01:13:29 pm »
Would agree the Alpkit pipe dream is the one I would buy, great bag for the money.

hwilson019

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 12:04:28 am »
Thanks for all the advice everybody. Really useful.

Alpkit look like the best on offer at a reasonable budget (between £100 and £150), but annoyingly they are out of stock of the pipedream range until the new year.

Is their other range - "Sky High" - as good as the pipedream ones that everyone seems to have? They look a bit heavier.

Also... I have done a bit of Google research on down sleeping bags, and happened upon (Highlander) Down-Tec Sleeping bags. Does anyone have an opinion on these? (Link below)

http://www.highlander-outdoor.com/Sleeping_bags/sleeping_bags/index.html

Thanks again everyone!

john28july

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 08:41:04 am »
Thanks for all the advice everybody. Really useful.

Alpkit look like the best on offer at a reasonable budget (between £100 and £150), but annoyingly they are out of stock of the pipedream range until the new year.

Is their other range - "Sky High" - as good as the pipedream ones that everyone seems to have? They look a bit heavier.

Also... I have done a bit of Google research on down sleeping bags, and happened upon (Highlander) Down-Tec Sleeping bags. Does anyone have an opinion on these? (Link below)

http://www.highlander-outdoor.com/Sleeping_bags/sleeping_bags/index.html

Hello,
Generally speaking, this brand is at the lower end quality wise. Best to actually find someone who has one of these before spending.Some low end stuff is good, but sleeping is a priority. Think carefully. Choose wisely.
John.
Thanks again everyone!

julk

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 09:25:16 am »
The Alpkit sky high bags are just as good to sleep in, but as you noticed they are made from heavier materials and are thus a bit cheaper than the pipedream models. It is your choice.

We have one of each in the family and both are well respected. The sky high models can also be bought in a longer version which is great if you are 6'3" or taller.