Author Topic: NEW - THORN 14 speed hub gear models!  (Read 18420 times)

Andrew

NEW - THORN 14 speed hub gear models!
« on: October 28, 2003, 01:16:09 pm »
All New THORN 14 speed! Rohloff hub gear equipped Raven Tour and Raven Sport Tour - available Now! ...
Click here for the latest information (takes a little time as it's a PDF, but worth waiting for!)

Contact us

Brains

Re: NEW - THORN 14 speed hub gear models!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 05:22:51 am »
So, how much ?

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 09:19:46 am »
Click here

As a complete bike the Raven Tour will cost £1099 and the Raven Sport Tour will cost £1299 both cycles will come with the superb Rohloff hub and gear shifter, top quality tyres, headset and SKS mudguards and all the other components will be of good quality… many upgrades will be available.
Touch up paint and an eccentric adjusting tool will be supplied.

(prices inc VAT).

Chris Land

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 06:18:08 pm »
What tube-set are you using on the Tour?  I could only see that the Sports is 853.

Andrew

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 09:13:34 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Land

What tube-set are you using on the Tour?  I could only see that the Sports is 853.

Hi Chris,

Thorn 969 double butted, conical, seamless, cold-drawn, heat treated cro-mo frame tubes.
With Reynolds 725 heavy-duty stays.

John S2

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 04:26:14 pm »
Out of interest, now you've shown yourselves in favour of high-ratio-number hub gears, why do you provide your Commutour only with a 3-speed?  Do you have reliability questions about Shimano or Sram's 7 speeds?

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 05:28:39 pm »
Hi, WRT the question:
"Out of interest, now you've shown yourselves in favour of high-ratio-number hub gears, why do you provide your Commutour only with a 3-speed? Do you have reliability questions about Shimano or Sram's 7 speeds?"
The Commutour is now a model that we will not now produce, we only have a few frames left. Being made in the UK it is no longer economic or viable.
The Sturmey hub IS more reliable than SRAM or Shimano, but more importantly spares are more readily available AND it is cheap.
The Rholoff however is just fantastic in EVRY respect!!!

hoogie

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 06:43:57 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
an eccentric adjusting tool will be supplied.

Wow ... I knew the English were a bit different but even an tool to adjust the rider! [:)]

cheers,
hoogie
Timaru/Oamaru, New Zealand

John S2

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 01:47:55 pm »
Robin: thanks for the reply about Thorn bicycles with hub gears.  I speak as an ardent enthusiast for Thorn products and service ... but I was surprised that you gave your entry for the commuting bike market only three speeds on its hub-gear version.  I don't need the same number or range of gears for commuting as for touring but I would find just 3 too limiting (I actually use a Sram 7 speed and on my normal 8 mile commute use bottom for about 10 yards up one specific hill and top with a following wind)

On the other hand, would I be able to justify the cost of the 14-speed for a dedicated commuting bike rather than for touring when I wouldn't use most of the ratios?  Not sure on that one, however good the engineering....

RJC

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 06:18:30 pm »
Just curious, what is Thorn 969 tubing?

Andrew

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2003, 08:01:09 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by RJC

Just curious, what is Thorn 969 tubing?

Hi RJC,

Welcome to the forum.

Thorn 969 tubes (down tube, top tube & seat tube) are custom cold-drawn from cro-mo to our exact specifications and are conical, double butted, seamless & heat treated.  They are a heavier-duty gauge than the Reynolds 853.
The 969 frame tubeset also gets Reynolds 725 heavy-duty rear stays.

Andrew

strat

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 11:43:12 am »
Hi.  What are the relative weights of the two models. Any info on wheels and other componants available?

Andrew

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2003, 12:25:23 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by strat

Hi.  What are the relative weights of the two models. Any info on wheels and other componants available?

Full brochure available very shortly!  Im working on it right now.

Frame weights vary by approx. 200g (Sport Tour being lighter).

RJC

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2003, 03:15:32 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
Thorn 969 tubes (down tube, top tube & seat tube) are custom cold-drawn from cro-mo to our exact specifications and are conical, double butted, seamless & heat treated.  They are a heavier-duty gauge than the Reynolds 853.

Is 969 similar to 531/525 in yield strength or something stronger?
Did you consider putting disc brake mounts on the rear - preferably in a way that doesn't interfere with a rack?

Robin

MattHodges

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2003, 10:19:18 pm »
What about using the disc brake version of the Rohloff hub. This would make sense with the tour for off road particularly in muddy or sandy conditions.