Author Topic: QR seat clamp  (Read 2815 times)

sloe

QR seat clamp
« on: November 18, 2007, 11:17:29 pm »
Sometimes I want to lower and then raise the saddle again a couple of times on a ride, if descending something steep and rough. Using the allen key is a bit of a pain and I wonder if I'll wear out the threads or fatigue something in that area. It's a Raventour.

Would a QR clamp be the thing - and does it go above the existing bolt or right round it?

Please relieve my ignorance.

jimmer

Re: QR seat clamp
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:39:45 pm »
Hello Sloe,

Wondered much the same myself for use on my Catalyst. Could do with lowering the seat for sections of steep singletrack and giving my wife a bakky. Not sure that a proprietry seat clamp would work given the shallow slit on the seat tube, the clamp may be so wide that it binds on the complete tube without reducing the tube diameter. I've been chucking round the idea of fettling some sort of shortened bolt with a camming device to fit through the M6 bolt hole...possibly using a spare wheel skewer... the pressure faces of the skewer and acorn nut may be a bit too large to be effective though.

Having the allen bolt does deter some behooded n'eredowell from half inching your seat. Mind you a locked shed didn't stop them from lifting my wife's bike from the garden shed last week to fund whichever habit they've elected to succumb to, hence the need to go tandem...

sloe

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 10:21:58 pm »
Hmmm...

Hi Jimmer, how's it hanging?

Understood the concept of wife on a backie - enjoyed it actually - but you got a bit technical thereafter.

Well I'm sure it will all become clear in its own good time.

sloe

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 10:26:09 pm »
Hmmm...

Understood the concept of wife on a backie - enjoyed it actually - but you got a bit technical thereafter.

sloe

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 10:27:41 pm »
Hmmm...

sloe

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 11:18:13 pm »
Tch!!   Who are these imposters?