Author Topic: Does your bike have a name???  (Read 28854 times)

georgeidf50

• Touring website
Re: Does your bike have a name???
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 10:41:26 pm »
My Thorn Catalyst is called Cat but as we are in Chile I may change her name to Puma.
I also have a time trial bike called  Psycho, racer called Turd ( cos its brown and sh1tty) A mountain bike called Cape etc etc

george
touring website :-
www.pedalpatagonia.co.uk

freddered

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 09:32:13 am »
At the base of Butser Hill in Hampshire on my old Tourer I changed onto my smallest chainring in preparation for the steep climb ahead.  The chain promptly fell off and jammed in between bottom bracket and crank.  That's when I named my bike "F*****g Bast**d".  I'm sure it's a fairly common name for a bike.

As I get used to the new Raven I should always try to remember these Derailleur 'quirks'.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 12:24:41 pm »
My Raven is called Thorny and my Trek is called Trekky - I've tried a Vulcan mind melds on it :-)
Originality was never my strong point.

Pavel

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 08:14:21 pm »
I like this thread.  Why'd it die?  :-\

My fuji was named " Squidword " for the character in sponge bob square pants and for the fact of how it felt like jelly with more than 14 kg.

My Moulton is named "Pip"  from Great Expectations.  I wanted something very british for my forest green very upright yet smooth gent.  He doesn't mind being a bit different and doesn't complain.

One old (94) Universal Alpina 6.3 sitting in the corner is referred to as "Obie" - My daughter loves this bike and the name both so it should see many more years, I hope.

Until I made a horrific mistake in 2004 and threw it out (I was never going to cycle again - of course) I had owned my bright (Tonka?) yellow Peugeot named Frodo. I think it was a PY-10 model but am not sure. It had been bought in South Africa for my 17th birthday and looking back the bike was the equivalent of a first girlfriend. Ahhh how the years obliterate the bumps!  This took me places in fact adn in mind. This is the bicycle which made me think of myself as a cyclist.  I had read tolkien two years before and it really fit.

Many others were never named.  I can hardly remember any of them now, even the grossly expensive bling bling bikes of the hour.  Is that just a coincidence?

I have some ideas for my in the womb, Thorn Nomad nomad.  I feel it works better for me if I wait until the character of the bike beckons a name.

Hopefully, half mad from a nine hour ride and sweating terribly, the clouds will part, I will have a narrow beam of sunshine hit the road in front of me just as the road starts to head downwards into a gently curving delight with fresh green grass and singing birds - and the name will come.  And it will be good. Oh, and did I mention that it will look and smell just like it does after a gentle spring shower - but the road will be dry?  Yeah.  I'm waiting.

Alternately I may have a few beers and pick one.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:20:31 pm by Pavel »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 09:03:27 pm »
Pavel,

Don't forget the Angel Chorus -- there has to be a chorus of angels to top it off. It. will. happen.  :D When it does, we want pictures!

Thorn Nomad nomad
Nomad Squared?

Best,

Dan.

Pavel

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 11:10:40 pm »
Thats a good idea. Do you think Angels can work aperture priority and bounce the flash off of the parting clouds?

;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 11:31:57 pm »
Do you think Angels can work aperture priority and bounce the flash off of the parting clouds?
<nods> Sure! Take a look at what happened the day mine arrived...  :D

Best,

Dan.

Fred A-M

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 10:47:36 am »
Very nice shot indeed Dan.

My RST has been named Bessie by my better half, the joking implication being that I had a mistress every time I went on cycle-tour!   ;D

misterianbrown

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 11:56:10 am »
initially called my Nomad Halle Berry cos it's black and beautiful....but have renamed it Brian cos we go everywhere at a snails pace

Pavel

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 10:16:43 pm »
In an unexpected twist of the subconscious ... my Nomad now has a name.
Alas ... it is ...
... Atlas.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 01:15:29 am »
it is ...
... Atlas.

<shrug>*

Sounds like a wonderful name, Pavel. There's even a mountain range of the same name to explore!

Best,

Dan.
*ref. for Ayn Rand fans.  ;)
The novel's title is a reference to Atlas, a Titan of Greek mythology, who in the novel is described as "the giant who holds the world on his shoulders".[3] The significance of this reference is seen in a conversation between the characters Francisco d'Anconia and Hank Rearden, in which d'Anconia asks Rearden what sort of advice he would give to Atlas upon seeing that "the greater [the titan's] effort, the heavier the world bore down on his shoulders". With Rearden unable to answer, d'Anconia gives his own response: "To shrug".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

Pavel

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 07:26:56 pm »
I hadn't read the book but was aware of it as several english major friends keep recommending it. 

I hope Atlas "shrugs" off any trepidation at the base of hills to be conquered, loaded with Carradice bags a bulg'n, and Ms. Rohloff a whirl'n in those bottom gears.

I'd hate to have to rename him - Bonked!   :'(

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 09:01:40 am »
NO!

I've put a reminder in my calendar for 1 year on from today.
Perhaps I'll have asked it's name by then.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

Pavel

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 12:43:46 pm »
 :D

Well, make sure you keep the bottom bracket well adjusted - or it will keep talking to ya, and click doesn't seem like an auspicious name! ;)

JWestland

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 02:18:05 pm »
Raleigh Elegance with childseat and DT swiss rim: "The Beast"
Charge Hob with super silent shimano freewheel: "Shinobi"
Thorn XTC: Em...undecided, Vista maybe?

Still amazed at stability of XTC it just doesn't give a **** about potholes, side-winds or anything.

Whether it's the frame or wheels or tuning or Thorn's propitiatory frame sizing or the a class frame work no idea but it rolls like nothing will disturb its path. 
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)