Author Topic: Stolen thorn Raven  (Read 4008 times)

Skitch

Stolen thorn Raven
« on: April 25, 2021, 12:23:05 pm »
Hi folks. I'm camping at Pooley Bridge in the lakes and woke up this morning to mine and 3 other bikes being stolen. Just posting this so as if anyone sees anyone selling ect. Could let me know. It's a black Thorn Raven Tour. New Rohloff fitted 6 months ago. Surly front rack fitted. Also has a sticker on the crossbar with a union jack and my nickname SKITCH  on it.  Just fitted a electric front hub motor as knees are knackered.   I've added a photo. If anyone sees and suspicious postings of bike or parts for sale would be very much obliged if you could let me know.   Needless to say I'm totally gutted. 

ourclarioncall

Re: Stolen thorn Raven
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 12:53:51 pm »
Sorry to hear that mate, you must be gutted.

I hope I don’t offend by asking what security measures you guys were using on your bikes? I’ve been researching a lot recently on chains/d locks/methods of locking up etc, so just curious as to what tools they had

I often see thorns on gumtree when doing a nationwide search. eBay too as I’m sure you know.

Skitch

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 01:19:03 pm »
Hi. Thanks for your reply. We had five sets of locks on them they were all locked together and locked to a van. A motor bike chain a lite lock and a couple of Oxford shackles with big cables on. By the looks of it One of the cables was cut at the van then the 4 of the bikes locked together through wheels and frames were dragged locked together about a hundred yards and then worked on out of sight and sound where we found and couple of locks cut by either bolt croppers or cordless angle grinder. The motor bike lock and the lite lock must have been unable to be removed and there is sgns that the bikes have been dragged away probably about a half a mile and into a van assumably. All must have happened in the early hours of the morning and a windy night so didn't here anything. I've had my raven about 7 years and have gradually upgraded it and bespoke it just put a new Rohloff hub on 6 months ago I bloody love that bike I ride it every day   I'm weeping inside and out. I'm retired due to ill health on a small pension and that bikes my life. Not sure what I'll get back from the insurance but I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford another one. Ther robbers will probably sell it for a fraction of what it's worth which if like a kick in the teeth too. In answer to the lock question. Look at Lite Lock about £100. But if they want it they'll have it. Must have been about 4 of them to drag the bikes away like they have. 

ourclarioncall

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 01:47:59 pm »
Wow that’s crazy

You would just never expect that to happen. Thieves seem to be willing to go to great lengths and effort.

Was the place your at a popular place to camp? It almost seems like they knew you were there or that there was bikes to steal , or maybe just changing their luck to see what they could find

I feel your pain. I am hoping to buy my first Thorn bike this year but at the same time comes the concern for it getting stolen

I was just looking at litelok again yesterday I think it was to see what current stuff they have.

lewis noble

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 03:21:41 pm »
Very sorry to hear your news, Skitch.  I know that area well, we often camp at Glenridding, the other end of the lake from Pooley bridge. 

There are several people here that keep an eye on Thorns coming onto the market, so you did the right thing by letting the Forum know. 

Angle grinders can get through pretty well anything if villains have a bit of time and space / access . . . .

Regards

lewis

in4

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 09:23:37 pm »
Terrible. There really are some miserable people around, thankfully not here. I’ll have a trawl around the usual outlets. Any car boot venues nearby? Sounds like the perpetrators have previous form to me.

brummie

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 09:31:23 pm »
Sad news. I've shared details on FB inc. photo of bike ( Hope you don't mind? ) - I live in Cumbria & hopefully someone will spot it.

leftpoole

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 08:26:16 am »
Hi folks. I'm camping at Pooley Bridge in the lakes and woke up this morning to mine and 3 other bikes being stolen. Just posting this so as if anyone sees anyone selling ect. Could let me know. It's a black Thorn Raven Tour. New Rohloff fitted 6 months ago. Surly front rack fitted. Also has a sticker on the crossbar with a union jack and my nickname SKITCH  on it.  Just fitted a electric front hub motor as knees are knackered.   I've added a photo. If anyone sees and suspicious postings of bike or parts for sale would be very much obliged if you could let me know.   Needless to say I'm totally gutted.

Are restrictions regarding Camping in England lifted earlier in that area by any chance?!!!!

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 08:33:17 am »
I feel your pain, Skitch. Sounds like an organized criminal gang, not a spur of the moment crime.

PH

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 09:00:20 am »
Are restrictions regarding Camping in England lifted earlier in that area by any chance?!!!!
This is a sad thread about someone's loss.  I hope the moderators remove your ill informed off topic post.  Campsites in England can currently open within the restrictions, providing they meet certain conditions.

PH

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 10:02:43 am »
Camp sites are only open to those with built in toilet facilities. Camping in a tent is still not allowed. I know I have been packed ready to go for Months!
I sympathise regarding the loss of bicycles of course-but-.....

Please try and be a bit better informed and stop this misinformation:
ENGLAND:
As of 12th April, many campsites in the UK are now permitted to open for bookings by single households (or support bubbles). Self-contained holiday accommodation is now open. So, too, are campsites, provided that the only shared facilities used by guests at the campsite or caravan park are washing facilities, toilets, water points and waste disposal points. While shared public toilets can open since 12 April, showers must be either private or reserved by each household and then cleaned.
https://coolcamping.com/news/295-coronavirus-travel-advice-for-campers
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/hotels-and-other-guest-accommodation

leftpoole

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 10:33:07 am »

I hope I don’t offend by asking what security measures you guys were using on your bikes? I’ve been researching a lot recently on chains/d locks/methods of locking up etc, so just curious as to what tools they had

I often see thorns on gumtree when doing a nationwide search. eBay too as I’m sure you know.

Again it appears that someone is writing as though all Thorn bicycles For Sale on Gumtree and Ebay are stolen!

Aleman

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 10:45:31 am »

Again it appears that someone is writing as though all Thorn bicycles For Sale on Gumtree and Ebay are stolen!
As OurClarionCall has stated quite often, he is looking to buy either a second hand Nomad Mk II or a new MK III, I would expect him to be looking on Gumtree and eBay ... As someone looking for a second hand bike on those sites I'm SURE he wasn't implying that they were ALL stolen!

Skitch, I'm sorry for your loss, I hate it when a bike of mine gets stolen ... luckily nothing really worth getting worked up about so far. If either of our tandems went though I would be devastated.

PH

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 10:52:29 am »
I have been searching for weeks on a daily basis-the information shown above is incorrect for 2021.
The information above includes a link to the Government regulations updated 15 April 2021. 

geocycle

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 06:29:17 pm »
So sorry to hear about the theft. I would have thought the Lake District would have been safe. As I’m in the region I’ll keep an ear to the ground.