Author Topic: And another.  (Read 3078 times)

Dirk

And another.
« on: September 09, 2007, 04:42:57 am »
My secretary/IT person is asleep, so the best I can offer is this...
http://www.pbase.com/canyonlands/image/83946439

ians

Re: And another.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 10:28:50 am »
Nice bike - and pic.  A very addictive site; I am amazed at the range/style/variety of bikes on show.

ian

PH

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 03:39:56 am »
That's one loaded bike, looks well set up to handle it.

Dirk

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 11:41:37 pm »
Ians, Thanks , I love the bike. I can't take credit for the photo though, that was taken by Ron the who runs the website. As you say, very addictive.
PH, Yes, I packed way too much gear,but in my defence,It was my first tour and I had no idea what to expect and didn't want to be without something important. I was carrying about 55lb's + group food etc.
We did a stretch of 120 miles on dirt road which in parts was no better than rubble and the bike handled like a dream. On the down hills the bike really soaked up the bumps and filled me with confidence.
I even did some offroad riding, unloaded, through some long abandoned mining trails in the back of beyond, and the bike was superb. Really solid.
I'll post some pics when she has time.javascript:insertsmilie('[:I]')

freddered

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:01:28 am »
Superb looking setup  You have my enormous Rear Panniers as front low-riders!!!!

Can you tell me:

1) What tyres are those?  Marathon 2.2" ?
2) What do you think of the Sprung saddle (B17?) I am concerned that I will be bouncing down the road if I get one.

Dirk

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 06:42:56 pm »
freddered, yes, Schwalbe Marathon XR 2.25.  I believe they can be ridden safely well below the manufacturers minimum pressure recommendation. I found 25lb's would take me anywhere, but rode mostly at 50lb's and let the frame soak up the bumps as I didn't have a spare.
The saddle is a Brooks Conquest which is very comfortable and not at all bouncy as you might expect.  The saddle springs compress  when one hits a bump but the springs are no way strong enough to throw a rider out of  the saddle. In fact I would say that one would be more likely to bounce out of the saddle without the springs.