Author Topic: Reversing my V brakes / suspension fork  (Read 3139 times)

AndrewClark

Reversing my V brakes / suspension fork
« on: July 16, 2007, 06:04:00 pm »
I ordered my Thorn Nomad with the rigid fork. This has the brakes on the rear of the fork, cable noodle on the left .

In preparation for my Manali-Leh ride I'll be fitting a Magura suspension fork. This has the brakes on the front, cable noodle on the right.

Will I need to do anything else besides rotating the pads to face new direction of travel ?

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Reversing my V brakes / suspension fork
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:57:22 am »
'anything else?'
You may well find that you need more cable.  Don't scrimp on the cable length.

'rotating the pads'
(Do you mean switch the pads right / left or spinning the pad round in the calliper to run upside down?)
Some pads have a top and bottom (curved pads) others do not care. Personally, even with straight pads, I would switch the pads right / left as this should reduce any bedding in required.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 10:04:38 am »
Sorry to double post - You may also require a new noodle - depends on the angle of the current one.  You will need one with an angle of 90° or preferably tighter.

AndrewClark

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:00:09 pm »
Well, that was fun!  I took the rigid forks off and found that the bike had been built up with a standard fork crown rather than the split one FSA are supposed to use.  Didn't fancy taking it off so ordered another (not from SJS, they don't list them), when this arived it was also the standard type so had to carefully fit it with a hammer & screwdriver!

I used a Gusset Headlock rather than a star-fangled nut and didn't need to cut the steerer, a extra 5mm spacer took care of the excess.

Tightened everything up and it felt OK. Put the brakes back on and switched the pads, I then had the mildly horrible task of adjusting everything. I can only guess that the bosses on the Maguras are slightly further apart than those on the rigid forks. If I make a habit of swapping I'll take Adrians advice and get a 2nd set of brakes.

More than enough cable but my noodle seems to be leaning forward :-)

Short test ride over the local cobbles & potholes seemed OK.

Anyone else done this or have any other comments on the Maguras?

freddered

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 05:41:45 pm »
If you buy a new brake for the front then buy an Avid Ultimate V.

1) they are superb
2) They have swappable Noodle so you can fit it on the left hand side and keep a nice neat cable run
3) They are £50 each...ouch