Author Topic: My Raven Tour. 3500 miles on (11,000 miles on)  (Read 110983 times)

stutho

• Administrator
Re: My Raven Tour. 3500 miles on
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2008, 03:56:24 pm »
Hi DavidH,

I use the shifter with my left hand, there is no problem mounting it on the left at all.  Unless you count the confusion I get when I try to ride my wife’s bike that has the shifter on the right.

freddered

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2008, 09:55:15 am »
Is the list equally limited with cantilivers? - I say this as I expect I might end up putting the drops back on my old tourer, for when I want a different ride. I had canti bosses brazed on when I got it resprayed 12 years ago.

Your comments about left / right made me wonder when / if Rohloff would make a grip shift for us left handed cyclists. Its a little foible of mine to make a mental note of the occassions when right handed people make us left handed people alter what comes naturally. Chainsaws and photocopiers being two of my favourites  - and have you noticed how the text is written the wrong way round?
...xobpaos ym ffo kcab wohyna

Your saracen seems better cared for than my similarly aged bike. But is that a standard thorn raven saddle? I will be swapping my current B17 with the Selle Royal Travellite, and wondered if you've done the same

Don't know the Clatfords - is that the big stretch of beech wood near the 303

The issue with Brake Levers and cable routing affects V-Brakes (long-pull, Linear-pull) only.  Cantilevers are centre-pull (symmetric) and also use 'Normal' brake levers rather than long-pull Dia-Compe287V levers. 

freddered

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 11:05:36 am »
Update:

My Thorn Raven Tour has now completed:

1) 7000 miles
2) several 100km Audaxes
3) several 200km Audaxes
4) sereral 300km Audaxes
5) loaded camping trip

It is about to attempt

6) a 600km Audax
7) a 400km Audax

In 2011 it may attempt

8) 1200km Paris-Brest-Paris Audax

You really can do everything with this bike.

PS.  It hasn't missed a gear-change yet.

geocycle

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 03:50:49 pm »
Glad everything is still going well with the bike -not that there was much doubt!  Items 7, 8 and 9 on your hit list look challenging.  I'm doing my first 100 mile in a day this year (and the bike's approaching its 5000 miles) but I don't know how I'd cope with something like the PBP... sounds very painful!

freddered

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 08:18:10 pm »
I think once you get over 100 miles then you stand a chance of being uncomfortable.  Audax has taught me that a lot can go wrong if you don't prepare well and start treating 100 mile rides too casually.

All the >100 mile rides I have prepared for have been easy (ish).  All the ones I didn't prepare for haven't.

Examples of not preparing:

- Not doing enough miles in the weeks leading up to the 'Big One'
- Too much alcohol the night before
- Not enough to eat the night before
- Not snacking regularly on the ride
- Not drinking enough water during the ride

Personally I consider 100 miles as a sort of threshold into the world of long-distance cycling (some people think less and some think a lot more).  I consider it a threshold becasue it moves out of 50 mile Charity Ride territory.  Many non-cyclists I know can ride a 50 mile Charity Ride, however, they tend to finish in the sort of pain that would prevent them ever continuing for another 50.

So good luck with your 100, treat it with a bit of respect and it won't be a problem.

Oh yes, if it starts to get really tough, eat something and keep pedalling.  It's just your body complaining, that's natural every so often, it will stop after 20 minutes and let you get on with it.

geocycle

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2008, 09:29:51 am »
That's really interesting.  I know from my own experience of 60-80 mile touring days that once you get above 50 you really have to keep eating and drinking regularly or everything goes wrong.  It's often tempting to push on but eventually you'll hit the wall (sometimes literally).  Once you have a basic level of fitness, a lot of distance cycling is in the head. 

I think the 1200 PBP must be one of the hardest single sport events I am aware of.

Cake

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2008, 10:00:27 am »
Coincidentally, i completed my first ever century day ride on Saturday (105.6 miles).  It had been a target of mine since i got back into cycling last August.  I have been gradually upping the distance of my longer rides with the century as a goal (as well as getting used to the RT i've had since February).  My longest ride previous to this was an 80 mile effort.  

Preparation was/is key to myself - it allows to me to relax because i know i have most eventualities covered, which makes the ride more enjoyable - which is the main objective!

Eating and drinking regularly is most important - i drank loads on Saturday (twas baking!), mainly water with a pinch of salt and sugar. I have found keeping salt levels up stops me feeling peculiar afterwards and prevents post-ride cramps.  Plenty has been written about electrolyte levels during exercise and loads of drinks are available - has anyone tried any that they have found to make a difference?

The most important factor for me though was pacing myself from the start. I must admit to being quite proud of myself - as Fred said 100 miles seems to be a bit of a threshold for long distance cycling (in my mind at least) and i consider it a personal achievement!

The RT was superb, i had no problems or issues with comfort whatsoever considering i was cycling for 9.5 hours (including an hour of stoppage), and was surprised to feel as spritely as i did afterwards.  A bike for every occasion indeed!

My next target is 125 miles (200km) and after a couple of these i may enter an audax event, with a bit of confidence.

Fred, how close to the wind were you sailing time-wise with the 300km audaxes?  I suppose if you are considering a 600km (600km!!!), you must have been relatively happy during the 300?

This cycling lark is really quite addictive....

Cake

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2008, 10:06:56 am »
Geocycle, i find the mental aspect of it fascinating.  I was fading a bit at 75 miles and then got back onto a road i knew.  Knowing where i was in relation to home told me i was going to crack it which instantly renewed my strength etc. - a physical manifestation of a totally mental event.  I suppose it is good to experience this and remember it during future struggles - it is all in the head!

lewis noble

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2008, 12:32:09 pm »
Some excellent observations and advice here, especially as I get ready to start a ride from Lancaster to Liverpool on Tuesday next week, then over the Trans Pennine Trail to Sheffield . . . for me at 61 and never the strongest of cyclists, not bad going I think.  In support of Back Up Trust, a spinal cord injury charity and supported by Origin, a care provider based in Lancaster.

I also would be very interested in people's ideas re 'home-made' drinks, which I suspect are just as good as the commercial variety, and what sort of foods best keep you going.  If you get tired and hungry, it is very easy to get demoralised and give up too soon.

And good luck, Fred!

Lewis

freddered

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 01:33:01 pm »
I tried some Sports Drinks but they made me feel nauseus.  Now I take note of cravings.  If I start craving a Ham & Cheese sandwich then I have one at a petrol station.  I think your body knows best.  Milk-shakes seem to be popular even amongst cyclists who never drink them at other times.

My most common craving is Bitter-Shandy.  Beer is a no-no for me on rides but Bitter-Shandy seems to be a real pick-me-up (I guess it's a sugar/carb rush).  Especially last Saturday when I was dehydrating on a 271km ride around the New Forest.

The only home-made drink I use is adding some blackcurrent squash to water to make it a bit more palatable (warm plastic water doesn't hit the spot sometimes).

As for my 300km ride, I finished in plenty of time.  I target 5.5Hrs/100km normally.  That is usually enough in the rolling countryside around here.  Allows for a few stops/repairs and keeps you well on time.

Denmead 300 took exactly 16 hours and you are allowed 20.  If you can cycle 100 miles then you can tackle a 300km.  It's more about controlling the boredom and negative thoughts than pedalling I find.

The beauty of Audax is that you have a control every 50km or so where you get to chat with others. You realise that everyone goes thru bad spells and that a snack, drink and 20 mins off the bike can usually get you over it.  I did a 202mile solo ride last year and it was much, much harder than a similar distance on an Audax.  When you ride solo all you have to occupy yourself with is thinking how much it all hurts and how comfy your bed was (when you left it at 5am, 13 hours previously).

It IS addictive though.  12 months ago I met a lunatic on a 200km Audax who cycled 45km to the start (in the dark, cold and rain) then cycled 45km back home when it was finished (in dark, cold and rain).

12 months on that's exactly what I did on Lymington 200 this weekend (except it was nice weather AT 5am and 10pm).
You start thinking, "It's only 60km to the start in Lymington, if I set off at 5am I'll be there for the 8am start"). Then YOU are the lunatic people are pointing at.

Mainly though I think it's about finding a pace you can deal with all day.  Sometimes it's hard to bring your speed down from your natural 25mile pace to a more leisurely one.  I find that reducing it by just 1mph-2mph means I can keep pedalling all day instead of burning out after 5-6 hours.  It becomes a matter of dealing with aches and pains (contact points, shoulders, neck) rather than fitness

As for foods that keep me going, remember that calories are your friend.  On a 100 mile ride it's unlikely you will eat more than you will burn up.  Eat what you fancy but MOST IMPORTANTLY, eat what you fancy before you get hungry.  If you wait until you a really hungry then you are probably about 20 minutes away from trying to find gears below 1st. 

Over the last 2 years my metabolism has changed (I was told it would) such that I can last much longer without needing to eat desperately (you start burning fat easier, which lasts days, and becoming less dependent on Blood Sugars, which last about 3 hours).  Until this happens though you walk a fine line of depleting blood sugars.  I highly recommend a small snack (energy bar, slice of Malt-Loaf) every 30-60 mins after the first 2 hours cycling.

if your mind or conversation turns to food IT'S AN EARLY WARNING from your brain, take heed, eat.

You are never quite as in touch with your metabolism as when you cycle beyond 100 miles.  You learn that you have never REALLY been hungry before.  Hungry is actually when you are in 1st gear on the flat, wishing you had stopped to eat an hour ago when your brain started flashing you images of a Ploughman's Lunch.

It's great when you get it right though

Good luck.  .

geocycle

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2008, 09:12:10 am »
Well fred, I am really impressed.  I've been largely oblivious to the whole audax thing, being mainly a tourer/commuter but these distances are really fantastic.  Thanks for the nutrition, advice most helpful.  You are right that your perceptions of 'the lunatic' constantly changes as you attain different goals.

lewis noble

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2008, 09:32:32 am »
Very useful observations, Fred.

Lewis

Cake

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2008, 09:38:01 am »
Yes, very useful indeed - they certainly are very long distances!

Good luck with your trip Lewis, let us know how it goes.

Gary

freddered

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2008, 11:12:02 am »
Well fred, I am really impressed.  I've been largely oblivious to the whole audax thing, being mainly a tourer/commuter but these distances are really fantastic.  Thanks for the nutrition, advice most helpful.  You are right that your perceptions of 'the lunatic' constantly changes as you attain different goals.

It's well worth turning up to a local 100km Audax, paying your entry fee 'on the line' and giving it a go.  Someone else does the work of plotting a route and you get to pick up loads of useful tips plus a nice ride out.  Some riders never go beyond 100km or 200km rides.

I like the loose association and non-competetive nature (well, you compete with yourself really) of Audax.  You can chat or not with other cyclists, tag along with them or not. 

ians

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 09:21:17 am »
Fred

I enjoy your missives.  It's always useful to know what a Thorn looks like in various situations.  If I get stuck at a party with someone who's done their own conveyancing or installed their own underfloor heating system, I'll have something to talk about too.

I also find your posts informative.  I aspire to ride my bike long distances ... and who knows ... maybe one day I might.   In the meantime your experiences show me what's possible.

So thanks.

ians