Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 2859 times)

wuming

Newbie question
« on: June 12, 2007, 09:31:46 pm »
Very new here, so apologies if this has been asked before. I am looking to buy a hybrid bike (around £200, give or take). I will be using it mainly on roads but want something that can take on rougher ground, as well as some long distance cycling. Any recommendations for a good, strong, reliable, value for money bike? I have been looking at the Carrera Subway, Saracen Venturer 2 and Giant Cypress DX. Any thoughts or advice about these or other models is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jawj

Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 07:45:15 pm »
(Aw come on guys, it's only fair we at least look like we're gonna suggest something sensible.)
First of all, welcome aboard!
Secondly, I started at that point once too! I went into my local bike shop many years ago and bargained down a basic Trek to £180. It wasn't that hot but it got me around and took me camping around northern Scotland for 3 weeks. It did alright!

But back to the bike choice... honestly it won't make that much odds which bike you go for - they're all very sensible and similarly kitted out. Just test ride them all and see which one rides best for you. That really is the most important factor.

Then save up while you're riding that bike into the ground and get a Thorn :-)

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 09:10:56 am »
4 years ago I bought a 1 year old Trek 7700FX from Ebay.  Price new was £1100.  Price on Ebay £210!!!  Best barging I have ever had on Ebay I put 10,000 trouble free, commuting miles on it and then gave it on long term loan to a friend with strict instructions to change the rims!  The 7700FX is a fantastic hybrid - but I think it unlikely you will find another for the money.  

Another friend recently bought a new (but old stock) Trek 7400? for £200 (this is the model fitted with a nexus geared hub.)  Seemed to me like a good buy, clearly not the same quality as my old 7700 but looked to be a solid dependable bike.