Author Topic: Cutting mudguard stays  (Read 8034 times)

lewis noble

Cutting mudguard stays
« on: April 09, 2017, 04:58:30 pm »
Hello!

Can anyone recommend a good way to cut mudguard stays accurately? Hacksaw? but difficult to grip the stays . . . I have some good cable / cable housing cutters, but I doubt if they would be powerful enough and I would not want to damage them - and a large bolt cropper, heavy and too big and brutal to get it accurate.  If people use a particular type of pliers, tool or whatever, recommend one easily available in UK?  Ideally, something available from SJSC to tack onto an order I'll be placing . . .

LBS fitted mudguards to my dtr-in-law's bike.  They fell off within 500 metres.  So I'll give them a piece of my mind (my son thinks stays too short?) and do the job myself now I am back from holiday.  But it is a fiddly job to get right.

Lewis

jags

Re: Cutting mudguard stays
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 05:59:08 pm »
Lewis I used an angle grinder small steel disc perfect cut.hack saw is a chore to get right I tried.have fun.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 06:05:46 pm »
I used a hacksaw once and the experience was torture. I don't have a bench vise or anything like that so I was just holding the stay with my hand against a step. Never again! So I bought a monster bolt cutter. Yeah, maybe not very precise, but more so that the hacksaw that keeps bouncing around! Do wear eye protection though - the little scrap piece of the stay goes flying!

lewis noble

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 06:21:09 pm »
Thanks Anto and Jim - yes, hacksaws not good for this job! Tried it before . . . . .

Useful suggestions - I think a smaller bolt cropper than the beast I have at present would be useful in workshop (posh name for cluttered garage) anyway . . .

Lewis

ridgeback63

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 07:42:54 pm »
I use a Dremel with a cutting disc,more or less the same as jags

martinf

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 07:49:32 pm »
I fit the mudguards with the stays uncut, then use a marker pen to indicate where I want to cut them.

Then I remove stays one side at a time if they are double, or one stay at a time if they are individual, grip the end in a bench vice and use a hacksaw to cut, which I find accurate enough, grip the cut stay in sacrificial aluminium jaws in the bench vice, smooth with a file, then refit on the bike.

Sounds a bit long-winded, but I find it is fairly quick in practice.

On my Raven Sport Tour I cut the stays slightly too long and fitted the plastic end caps, which I don't usually use. I did this in case I ever want to change tyre size from my current 35 mm Kojaks to 42 mm Supremes.

jags

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 08:50:23 pm »
What I done was fit the mudguards got them spot on marked the stays wipped everything off again taped the stayes together maskin tape cut the lot at one go ,then filed the tops of the stays so as the black end caps would slid on easy.I dont like cutting the stays at the studs leaves no room for any adjustments.have to say its a pain in the arse getting them mm perfect but I guess when u live in sunny ireland you don't have much choice.
Anto

lewis noble

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 09:24:31 pm »
Thanks Anto . . .

I'll fix them at the weekend - if they stay on for 1k I will at least have done twice as well as the bike shop.

jags

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 10:02:46 pm »
 ;) worth doing right lewis  8)

anto.

David Simpson

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 02:41:29 am »
Beware of using a Dremel (or similar) cutting wheel to cut the stay while the mudguard is on the bike. I tried it, and the stay got so hot that it slightly melted the mudguard next to the stay. (They are SKS Chromoplastic.) A lesson learned.

- DaveS

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 03:59:37 am »
I usually leave them longer in case I might want bigger tires some day.  But I did cut some stays, hack saw and a big bench vice, then a file to remove sharp edges.  Hacksaw without a big vice would not be too hard if you took it off the bike and put it on the edge of a bench or table and spent a few extra minutes being careful with your cut.

I am in the process of building up a new bike.  Just yesterday I went to fit the fenders, I was going to use fenders that I have owned for several decades.  But, the stays were too short so I ordered new fenders yesterday.  My point is that sometimes you later wish you did not cut things.  In my case it cost me a set of fenders and I still have a nice pair of Bluemel Popular that I planned to put back into service.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 04:09:39 am »
Hi All!

My method to correctly fit mudguards and cut the stays to length is a little different, as described here previously. Some years ago, I figured there must be a better, quicker, less frustrating way and developed a method that works quickly and accurately for me.

I use a spacer taped to the tire to set the gap between evenly all the way 'round first. Vinyl tubing is a favorite spacer, though stacks of coins or washers at various points will also work nicely. Once the spacer(s) is (are) taped to the tires with vinyl electrical tape, I then tape the mudguard/fender to the tire over the spacers. Once the appropriate brake is locked with a stout rubber band, the wheel/tire/fender blade remains still and the lot is *so* much easier to work with. Once my tools and supplies are assembled, I can generally install a full set of mudguards evenly and accurately the first time in ~45 minutes. This method also makes it a snap to determine the vertical spacers and bolts needed if the underside of your fork crown and seatstay/chainstay bridges are threaded.

Only then do I dry-fit and size the stays. Since the fender blade is centered over the tire, I can be assured the stays will work if they are of equal length, so I generally only need to size one side, mark it, then remove it and use bolt cutters to cut close, using it as a model to size its mate on the other side. It is necessary to be sure the stay eyes are evenly centered on the dropout bolts or the blade may not be centered evenly over the tire. The cut stay end is then squared and slightly radiused (rounded) using my disc sander. As Dave thoughtfully notes, this prevents heat from the cutting operation from transferring to the plastic fender blade via the cross brace.

Depending on application, I generally do not cut the stay flush with the drawbolt, but allow it to extend a bit in case I later decide to fit fatter (and thus larger diameter) tires or need to make an adjustment in fender clearance -- as I do before venturing out on desert playa; if wet, the playa is sticky and so I require more clearance between 'guard and tire. Same for adding snow clearance as I ride over mountain passes to the high desert.

If the stays extend past the drawbolts, I use vinyl end-caps (available from PB here: http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7007_9.html ) to prevent getting skewered on the bare stay ends. This happened to me once back in my uni days as I dismounted and upper rear mudguard stays became so deeply embedded in the the side of my knee, I could not finish dismounting alone and had to engage the help of some passersby to hold the bike and lift my knee off the embedded stay. Lots of blood and pale faces ensued in the excitement that followed.  :o :P I have capped my stays ever since. :D

I don't like the safety Seku-Clips used on stays mounted to the fork-end (dropout) eyelets; they are too flexible and allow some rattling and movement to occur on the rough logging roads where I often ride. Thorn places their mounts further up the fork blades to prevent the stay radius from tightening in the event debris is caught under the mudguard -- no safety clips needed. On my non-Thorn bikes, I mount the front stays to my fork's lowrider bosses, accomplishing the same end.

One other tip: I have found the standard drawbolt nuts with 8mm flats do not hold securely in my use on rough roads unless LocTited in place. A far better solution for my needs is/are the polished stainless drawbolt and 10mm nylock nut sets available at reasonable cost from Planet Bike: http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7006_7.html PB has *all kinds* of nifty spares like stay release tabs, mudflaps and spare stays that allow one to transfer mudguards from bike to bike without having to buy new mudguards. These spares are my first go-to before I start fabricating and milling things on my own. See: http://ecom1.planetbike.com/smallparts.html They offer free domestic (US) shipping on all small parts orders;  I think it is also free for Canada but am unsure about other countries.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:41:16 am by Danneaux »

leftpoole

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 10:14:32 am »
Hello,
It is a simple task.
A hacksaw!
John

lewis noble

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 10:23:46 am »
Thanks for all advice  . . . I think the LBS used stays that were inserted into a threaded socket made of plastic . . . Perhaps not pushed in far enough, and not a good system in my view anyway. Now I am home, I'll have a closer look.

Tiberius

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 05:09:13 pm »
Thorn places their mounts further up the fork blades to prevent the stay radius from tightening in the event debris is caught under the mudguard -- no safety clips needed. On my non-Thorn bikes, I mount the front stays to my fork's lowrider bosses, accomplishing the same end.
Dan.

I read about this on another thread but I didn't REALLY understand it. I've now got it....Clever thinking....I like it..... :)