Author Topic: Brooks saddle  (Read 7423 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Brooks saddle
« on: February 03, 2017, 11:03:20 pm »
When you proof your B17 does the colour change? Ie would the honey coloured one darken?

Janet
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:05:33 am by TabbyCat »
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Brooks saddle
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 02:13:23 am »
Hi janet!

On my Brooks saddles, Proofide had no discernible effect on the black ones and did darken the honey one...even created a "blotchy" effect I found alarming at the time. After several days, the color evened out nicely and reverted to about 1/2 shade darker than the original untreated saddle. I'd call it "darker honey", not at all objectionable.

With perspiration and further use, the saddle is tending toward a "dark honey" color...about twice as dark as the disseminated Proofed appearance. I can post a photo if you'd like.

Best,

Dan

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 11:28:04 am »
I have a Brooks B17 Select purchased in November 2011. When it arrived it had a very light colouring, lighter than the honey version of the B17 Standard. I applied a layer of Proofhide and it immediately darkened slightly. I apply Proofhide every six months and have completed two three month tours and it continues to darken nicely.

I have a fledgling web site and have put some pictures up so you can see how the saddle changes over time. I am not sure if the standard B17 honey would age the same way but would be similar in darkening over time and with use.

http://www.touronabike.com/patina-on-the-brooks-b17-select/

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 12:05:06 pm »
When you proof your B17 does the colour change? Ie would the honey coloured one darken?

Absolutely. After 20 minutes in neatsfoot oil my honey B73 turned an even midbrown, a colour it would approach only unevenly after several years of Proofide and perspiration.

You may ask why order a honey saddle (and grips, which I gave the same treatment) only immediately to darken them with neatsfoot oil. The answer is that the result is a lighter, even, dark tan than the Brooks factory brown, with greater depth to the color. I'm an artist so I'm sensitive to such distinctions.

I wipe the saddle lightly with the Brooks Proofide once or twice year to maintain protection because whatever oil or wax sinks in during a relatively short period for colouring a new saddle doesn't give permanent protection.

You can't soak it very long, say 12 hours or a whole day, without softening the leather, though there is a school of thought, of which I heard from the famous late American mechanic Sheldon Brown, which believes that instant break-in can be achieved by soaking a Brooks saddle for 24 hours in motor oil.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:09:46 pm by Andre Jute »

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 01:55:29 pm »
Yes they all darken with proof hiding. In fact they all eventually revert to dark brown, even the black ones taken on a dark brownish hue but it takes decades rather than years.

jags

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 04:46:09 pm »
Buy a black one.

energyman

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 05:52:30 pm »
Due to the irritating fact that they hate water my 68's always have their waterproof covers fitted.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 06:48:29 pm »
Here's a before and after, with about 15K miles in between:

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 07:32:55 pm »
My honey B.17 Champion Special after years of riding and a light biennial Proofiding...

Best,

Dan.

Tiberius

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 09:04:37 pm »
Buy a black one.

.........Yup.......... ;)

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 09:32:07 pm »
My honey saddle came out much darker than Danneux's

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 09:17:10 pm »
Hi janet!

With perspiration and further use, the saddle is tending toward a "dark honey" color...about twice as dark as the disseminated Proofed appearance. I can post a photo if you'd like.

Best,

Dan

Yes please, Dan. How often do you proof the saddle? I've never had a good leather saddle before and I'm rather remiss over my walking boots.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 09:28:13 pm »
I have a Brooks B17 Select purchased in November 2011. When it arrived it had a very light colouring, lighter than the honey version of the B17 Standard. I applied a layer of Proofhide and it immediately darkened slightly. I apply Proofhide every six months and have completed two three month tours and it continues to darken nicely.

I have a fledgling web site and have put some pictures up so you can see how the saddle changes over time. I am not sure if the standard B17 honey would age the same way but would be similar in darkening over time and with use.

http://www.touronabike.com/patina-on-the-brooks-b17-select/

Yes, I can see what you mean. And thanks for the link to your site, I'll peruse it at my leisure. BTW, Your tent, it it a Vango Pulsar? I've been looking at these online recently. Is it for two or three?

Dan, sorry didn't read all the messages before I asked you about proofing intervals.
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 09:32:45 pm »
My honey B.17 Champion Special after years of riding and a light biennial Proofiding...

Best,

Dan.

Nice!
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 09:34:46 pm »
My honey saddle came out much darker than Danneux's

Is this because you've proofed your's more than Dan has his?

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!