Author Topic: S&S couplings  (Read 6576 times)

Easygoer

S&S couplings
« on: May 23, 2007, 12:23:47 am »
How difficult is it to put a bike back together which has been "split" using S&S couplings? This is from someone who knows absolutely nothing about bikes.

neil_p

Re: S&S couplings
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 07:49:56 am »
I don't yet have my S&S equipped bike, but I have been reliably informed that it is very easy.

julk

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 09:15:25 am »
I find it easier with the bike upside down - the handlebars hold the front section steady sideways, the saddle takes some of the weight of the rear section - all you have to do then is support the open frame ends, line both couplings up, connect and and tighten them by hand then spanner.

With the bike back together and the right way up the cables are easily and quickly reconnected.

Job done.

tynevalleycommuter

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 09:37:41 am »
I have used them on a friend's tandem, we transported this in the back of my estate car several times. As a two man job (one visually impaired/blind) it was quite straightforward. We found the easiest way was to leave the back half of the bike lying on its side in the car with the connections just about level with the tailgate. Then offered up the front end, and with one person supporting and the other tightening the 3 couplings it worked fine. As a one person job I can imagine it might be a bit more tricky, but I am sure I would have managed this on my own using the same method.

The main thing is to keep the couplings clean and lubricated so that the theads engage easily.

AndrewClark

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 01:15:13 pm »
My Nomad arrived on Friday.  I haven't dared take it to bits yet!

Upside down or on it's side sounds good.  The brake cable & clickbox disconnect easily.

The Thorn website shows it fitting into a 26"x26" case, but looking closely I think they've removed the forks as well.

I don't fancy spending £300 on the official case so will be measuring it up and seeing what I can find in the local luggage shops

julk

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 02:39:44 pm »
Andrew,

Have a good time with the new bike.

Taking it apart is a bit nerve racking the first time, just make sure both sections of frame are supported in a way which will stop them  causing any damage/scratches if either moves suddenly.

You will probably want to grease the S&S couplings unless they are well greased already. The recommended grease is sold by SJSC @£16.99 +p&p.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Du-Pont-Du-Pont-Special-Teflon-bearing-grease--18g-tube--The-only-recommended-product-for-SandS-couplings-1796.htm
S&S put a large warning on using any other grease.

The bike will need taking to bits to get it into a 26" square suitcase. There is a good visual guide on this and lots more to browse on the S&S site.
http://www.sandsmachine.com/index.html

Easygoer

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 08:08:54 am »
Thanks everybody. You make it sound almost easy.

vik

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 04:13:43 pm »
How much maintenance is req'd with S&S couplings?  Will sand/dirt/grit easily get inside when touring?  Almost seems like they should be covered with a Lizard Skin type guard to keep them clean.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

julk

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 09:09:51 pm »
I initially found that the down tube S&S fitting was being blasted by muck and water from the front wheel, some did manage to penetrate. I have sealed frame tubes so no damage there.

I dismantled the fitting, cleaned it and reassembled with plenty of the right grease. I also fitted a large mudflap to the front mudguard and put a slice of inner tube over the down tube, unrolling it over the upper side of the fitting, all to keep water ingress to a minimum.

flocsy

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2023, 09:06:02 am »
Which grease is recommended? Can I use Park Tool PolyLube 1000 that I already have?

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 11:59:37 am »
I did not know you bought an S&S bike.

S&S recommends a very expensive grease.  I do not know if it is needed, but I bought it for mine.  And I use very little of it each time I use it.
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/bicycle-greases/extreme-fluoro-grease

I bought mine from SJS when I bought the frame.