Author Topic: Planned tour in France  (Read 18303 times)

lewis noble

Planned tour in France
« on: March 31, 2016, 04:27:26 pm »
I thought I would let people know my plans for a long ride this summer – there will be things I want advice on I expect, so I’ll start it as a new thread.

My Sherpa continues to serve and suit me very well – it was built up from a Ripio onto a new Sherpa 530S frame with 853 forks in July 2015.  It is very similar to the ‘lightweight Sherpa’ in the menus at the end of the Thorn brochure – C2 I think.  Straight bars (I have fairly short arms and prefer an uprightish posture), DT Swiss 32 spoke rims on Deore hubs, XT chainset (so I can get shorter cranks), thumbie shifters, XT brakes, Tubus rack.  Saddle – Specialized.  There is really nothing I would change on it.  The wheels run sweet and true despite fast rides on urban potholes, transmission excellent.  In this trim, the Sherpa is an agile, fast and robust bike.

The only thing about the bike I am uncertain about is footwear / pedals – I have used GR9 pedals + toe clips with some excellent Merrell trainers for years – no plans to change.  But the trainers are now worn out and held together with Shoe Goo – and I have found nothing to compare with them for comfort and firm grippy soles – working on it.

In June, I will be setting off to ride from St Malo to Nice, through most of Western and Southern France.  My plan is to follow the route in the excellent book France en Velo.  Travelling to St Malo by train / ferry, back from Orange on European Bike Bus.

http://franceenvelo.cc/route/

Accommodation – mixture of B&Bs, whatever I can find, and a lightweight tent – depending on weather, tiredness, availability etc.  I will be travelling as light as possible – no cooking gear, just a mug, plate and spork. Most campsites have a café / bar on or near them.  I have been loaned an OEX Lynx EV1 tent by a friend who purchases kit for a big outdoors company – good friend to have! Very light, bigger than many 1-person tents, fits perfectly fore-aft on the rack.

Panniers etc – small Topeak bag under the saddle for tools, spares etc. 2 Ortlieb panniers. Tent on top. A Carradice zip roll bag as a bar bag – I am not keen on most bar bags, and the fact that this will not be all that easy to get to or remove is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

I’m looking forward to the trip, but yes, pretty apprehensive about it.  Close on 1000 miles – longest sustained ride I have done since the late 1960s, and I will need to maintain a pretty decent (for me) daily average to avoid running out of time or money.  But here goes.  Living in the Peak District, and often holidaying in the hilly Jura region of France, I reckon I can handle the hills . . . he says . . . .

Advice please! – on electronics – something I never used to bother about!!  I will be taking a Sony compact camera, and a Nokia Windows phone. Also a Garmin 1000 – mixed feelings about that, happy with maps, but a Christmas present . . . I still have to figure out how to use it.  All use the same micro usb port, so will borrow a Power Monkey, only 1 lead needed.

The camera is a Sony DSC RX100. Large sensor, beautiful pictures, and I know how to work it.  But no built in wifi, which makes sending pictures harder. I suppose I could swap the card into the phone and use that, but that sounds fiddly at the end of a long day.  Any other ideas? I am reluctant to change kit because of cost etc.

Bike preparation – unsure about this . . . New brake pads fitted, and there is the old dilemma of overhaul versus ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’.  I may replace the chain, possibly the EBB bearings, and leave it at that. 

I’ll let people know how I get on.

Lewis - Sheffield

geocycle

Re: Planned tour in France
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 05:17:02 pm »
Hi Lewis,
that's an excellent tour.  I had it pencilled in for last year then family events intervened. I really like the book it comes with as it has excellent pictures.  Perhaps not the easiest to follow on the road though.  I have trawled the internet for a gps route without success. There are some big hills (will you take in Ventoux!) but it is the heat in the south I'd be most concerned about. 

Sounds like your sherpa is the perfect tool for the job.  I'm a luddite when it comes to cycle clothing but I do like spd shoes (the mountain bike type you can walk normally in and look like trainers).  They help my dodgy knees by keeping my feet in a good position on the pedal.  They release pretty easily if you come to an emergency stop.
Geo

lewis noble

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 05:38:16 pm »
Thanks Geo . . . Yes, some big hills, but I think long and steady . . . Ventoux? We'll see, I would like to.

According to Garmin, the Edge 1000 has preloaded maps - but where?! I'll get no. 1 son on the job.

Pedals - I've just never got on with spd. I'm sure I'll find something.

Regards

Lewis

AndyE

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 05:47:31 pm »
Hi Lewis, I'm a big fan of Merrell footwear, but I don't like to peddle very far in them, I'm like Geo & prefer SPD's. I use Shimano PD-A530 pedals, SPD's one side, regular flat the other for regular shoes.

Your trainers do sound let's say " Broken in" and if like mine; very comfortable. If you have as you say no plans to change your pedals, it would be a good time to invest in some new trainers......

Have fun on the trip, you will be fine and take it at a day at a time. don't forget to put a rest day in now and then.

Andy
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:18:58 pm »
Hi Lewis!

Best of luck on what sounds like a wonderful tour ahead!

I like Merrells also for general use, but I'd like to offer an endorsement of my Shimano MO-88 MTB SPD shoes for touring....even if you decide not to fit them with cleats for use with SPD pedals.

The soles offer good isolation and the shoes are very supportive for walking and have a good interface for use with platform pedals.

I would not have thought it possible, but I found them ideal for my 2014 double-crossing of Europe. They did well by me as my only shoes for many tourist-walks along the way, including a 21km day walking in Prague. The high-carbon rubber sole wears well and I liked the combination of velcro and ratchet-strap for quick adjustments. The sle design ejects mud well.

The MO-88 is now history, replaced by the similar MO-89, but you might well find your ideal "cycling vacation" shoe unexpectedly among the SPD offerings. Just because they are "cleat capable" does not mean they must be fitted with same. The "Click'R" series of Shimano shoes intended for commuters are increasingly popular with cleated and uncleated riders here in recent months. Might be worth a look: http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/us/pd/technologies/clickr.php

All the best,

Dan.

Huernie

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 07:58:36 pm »
I have an older version of these; great for touring (mine are just back with a wee bit of green). So good I bought another pair for when my current ones are done. I wore them in temps up to 48c and they were fine.

https://www.evanscycles.com/northwave-spider-mtb-shoe-EV235460

lewis noble

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 08:06:17 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies - very encouraging.

It's interesting that the shoes / pedals issue has attracted the most attention!  I tried hard with spds a few years ago, just couldn't get used to them.  With my coordination perhaps worse now than it was, I'm reluctant to try again - especially as it can be an expensive business trying stuff out. And the run up to a long tour is not a good time to experiment!

In my experience, a careful trainer / pedal combination, with firm soles, tread enough to bite on traditional 'rat-trap' pedals but not enough to restrict entry / exit from toe clips, works well.  But Dan, I will look at what you recommend.

I reckon I can do it.  I am allowing 34 days away from home - 3 weeks riding, rest / fun days, travel at beginning and end.  One of the advantages of this route is that if I get problems, weather, illness etc, I just stop around Orange, explore other areas (e.g. Vercors - fascinating in French history) and then get the bus home, leaving Provence for a shorter tour, perhaps with my wife next year.  But my aim is to do the lot.

Thanks to all, keep comments coming.  I am away for a few days now, a friends wedding (a camping wedding, the best sort!) and may not get wifi. So no replies till next week.

Best wishes to all

Lewis

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 08:12:43 pm »
In my experience, a careful trainer / pedal combination, with firm soles, tread enough to bite on traditional 'rat-trap' pedals but not enough to restrict entry / exit from toe clips, works well.  But Dan, I will look at what you recommend.
No no no, Lewis! :o If you are using toe clips and straps, then you most definitely do not want to use shoes with straps, as they will catch on the toe straps and make a mess both going in and getting out.

Not a problem if you use only toe clips, but the thicker soles might require fitting MTB toe clips with more toe height.

You'll do fine on the tour, no worries there.

All the best,

Dan. (...who wishes your friends a happy camping-wedding)

in4

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 08:28:21 pm »
I too have given up on spds and reverted to flats. I was quite comfortable getting in and out of them but a. they killed my right knee something chronic and b. I reasoned that riding off tarmac made it all the more critical that I was able put a foot down quickly. I've stayed with my Shimano MT34s, well until they are worn out. I like the stiff sole and would look for a similarly stiff sole in any future pair of trainers or something similar. If snakes are an issue a pair of miltary-type boots might be a good bet, but probably overkill for France

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/five-ten-aescent-mtb-shoes-2016/rp-prod132476?gs=1&gclid=CLvjgfXT68sCFUJmGwodFOEP6Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/desert-tabbing-boot-classic-beige/

With regard to pedals: I like DMRV8s myself although I've read the grumbles of others about them. I like the fact that you can service them and, using a very small allen key, inject some grease into them when necessary; you can replace the bearings easily too.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dmr-v8-grease-port-flat-pedals/rp-prod3177

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:31:22 pm by in4 »

lewis noble

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 09:32:24 pm »
DEFINITELY the last post before I sign off for a few days . . .

Dan, I think we may be getting confused about the meaning of straps?? I  mean the straps that link the toe clip ends to the pedals, not straps on the shoes, which yes, can catch on clips and other things.  I would be meaning trainers similar to . . . .

http://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/roust-frenzy/17578M.html?ref=roust%20frenzy&dwvar_17578M_color=J21801#q=roust+frenzy&start=1

Firm soles, small serrations on the soles, comfortable . . .

But as ever, open to suggestions and comments.  And my existing Merrells may well make it!!

Pedals likely tobe mks GR9s or MKS Road.

Have a good weekend, everybody.

Lewis

martinf

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 09:33:45 pm »
That looks like a good tour, and 1,000 miles in three weeks seems a reasonable goal.

My own most recent long tour was from Brittany, down the west coast of France and through northern Spain to just touch Portugal, then back. It dates from 2011 when I was 55 years old.

I imagine the terrain for your trip is roughly equivalent - fairly flat or gently undulating to start with in Western France, but more challenging as you get further south.

I did my tour in October, as I had an opportunity for a month off at that time of year. 2011 was atypical, with very high temperatures in Brittany at the beginning of the month. I had a wide range of temperatures, from just above freezing early in the morning in the mountains, to 35° C (afternoon temperatures at start of trip in Brittany and again near Portugal).

I had a slightly less suitable bike than a Sherpa, didn't camp, I used youth hostels, pilgrim hostels and "pensiones"/hotels.

I also don't use SPD, I prefer toeclips, toestraps and old-style black leather cycling shoes with stiff soles and heels. These are OK for walking short distances, reasonably water-resistant, and easy to polish-up to look reasonably smart.

One thing I did for my 2011 tour that I never did before was training before the trip. I did regular 50 km rides about twice a week, with occasional longer rides (up to 120 km) when I had time. I got in about 2,000 kms of extra riding in the six months before I left. That was mainly because I only had limited time - a maximum of 4 weeks to do about 3,300 kms.

I also planned for the option of cutting short my tour if my knees played up or I got ill - easy to put my bike on the train to cut about 600 kms off the return journey if necessary (it wasn't).

DAntrim

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 09:48:06 pm »
After reverting back to flats due to continued aches in my knees, I ended up with a pair of FWE flats pedals from Evans and never had the need for toe clips as my feet have never slipped....
https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-flat-alloy-pedals-EV180198?esvt=44588-GOUKE1070736&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-521626-1&esvcrea=85157036936&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvo=EV180198-NA-SVR&esvaid=50080&gclid=CO7sjuun88sCFTAz0wodxksHUQ

Footwear - I like to use karrimor walking shoes as they have a little flex up front but a solid sole, also work well off the bike
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mount-low-mens-walking-shoes-183075?colcode=18307504

I would just take a spare SD card for the camera and use that when needed, pictures can always be uploaded when you get back home. Never used a Garmin, though do have mapping software on my galaxy phone mainly used as a GPS when I am unsure exactly where I am, never leave home without paper maps and a compass electronics can / do fail.

Don't forget a wall plug, can always charge the phone / camera / garmin, if booked into a B&B or on the campsite from the USB lead

Enjoy what looks to be a great ride

Carlos

silverdorking

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 02:55:04 pm »
I'm planning the same jolly and am a little frustrated at my inability to follow the 'France en Velo' book instructions for downloading the PDFs of individual route sections as appears page 254. I'm sure it must be my incompetence but all I can get is a page of advertising.
Any help would be much appreciated!

lewis noble

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 04:23:31 pm »
I found a way, and I think have them as a doc. Only just back from weekend away, will not be able to access for a day or two. I found them by accident, no idea how.

Pm me your email address and I will get in touch.

ians

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 04:29:17 pm »
sounds an amazing trip.  My wife has the RX100 - as you say, lovely camera.  If you stop somewhere with free wifi could you download from there - via a usb lead?

Good luck

Ian