Author Topic: Bar grips and bar end options  (Read 7793 times)

PH

Bar grips and bar end options
« on: April 09, 2007, 03:18:03 pm »
I feel like a change, it’s two and a half years and 15,000 miles since I took delivery of my Raven and a credit to SJS that in that time I’ve made no significant changes or spent much money on repairs or maintenance.  The bike and me deserve a reward[:)]
I have standard straight bars cut narrow and straight stubby bar ends, this is the closest I could get to my favoured position on the hoods of drop bars.  I’ve never had a problem with aches or pains, neither have I ever found the position as natural as when using drops, I have been wondering if it could be better.

Possible options I have been considering and would like your opinions on are;
The new SJS Ergo Bar ends, they seem similar to the Cane Creek ones.  At half the price I think I’ll give them a try.  Also in the running would be the original Cane Creeks, though I would need some convincing they were worth twice the price.
SJSC Ergo Control

Ergon grips.  Again I’m tempted, I’ve yet to hear a bad review.  Couple of questions, would these be compatible with the above? Would it look odd? I know that a Rohloff specific version is made, but no one seems to stock it.  Has anyone cut down a standard set? If so how?

Anything else on the market you think worth a look?
Thanks  

julk

Re: Bar grips and bar end options
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 05:17:29 pm »
Ergon grips are available from CRC who supplied me with the Rohloff specific version. I found the Rohloff (right) grip too short at 98mm so I don't recommend that route if you have large hands. I then bought the standard ones and cut the right one down by roughly 20mm with a hot blade to 108mm which fits my hand width nicely.

I find these Ergon grips with the horizontal 'platform extension' combined with Thorn comfort bars give me a very relaxed and comfy ride.

They work well for me with Thorn comfort bars, but you need the model with the longest straight ends if you want the brake, Rohloff gear shift and 108mm Ergon grip butting up to each other in a straight line. Putting separate bar ends on would probably require the brakes to move inwards to a position on, or just past, the outermost bend.

I tried Ergon grips with integrated bar ends and found they did not suit me.

In the interests of achieving large multi hand position bar ends on a 20º sweep bar, I am currently trying some Humpert Vario Hornbars - these are a 20º sweep bar with integrated large bar ends, removable for fitting a Rohloff gear shifter (it won't go round any sort of bend).
http://www.roseversand.de/output/controller.aspx?cid=156&detail=10&detail2=1254
I just managed to fit the brake, Rohloff gear shift and 108mm Ergon grip onto the straight section of the bar upto the curve on the bar end. This did involve filing away a small amount of the plastic inside the forward outer end of the grip, where the curve starts on the bar end.
These are not riser bars, so I had to raise the stem to get the grips back to the same height as previously.
So far I am enjoying riding with them but have still to put in any serious mileage.

I hope this helps.

TOD

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 05:24:35 pm »
I have cut down a standard set with a sharp knife, the the inner plastic sleeve is quite tough abd may be easier to cut with a fine toothed saw.  I am currently running with ski bar ends but have a pair of crane creek ends which came with the original set up which I could swap over if you wanted to see how they looked.  After I had modified the ergon I did think that it was probably preferable than getting the rohloff specific version as the remaining length can be to suit ones hand width (not so far back up my family we must have been on all fours)

lardy

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:30:04 am »
I can't comment on the new SJS Ergo bar Ends. However when I got my RST I had quite a bit of experimenting with grips and bar ends til I found something I found comfortable. I can heartily recommend the Cane Creek bar ends, though from the picture the new SJS ones look similar. I also got Syntace lock on grips, though when these wear out I would be tempted to try the Cane Creek grips sold by SJS.

PH

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 08:48:27 am »
Thanks for the info so far, please keep it coming, I'm in no hurry to make the change it'll probably be the end of the month before I have the time.  Hearing the Rohloff specific grips are too narrow for my big hands has probably saved me a few quid, good stuff.

quote:
I am currently running with ski bar ends but have a pair of crane creek ends which came with the original set up which I could swap over if you wanted to see how they looked.

Thanks for the offer TOD, don't trouble yourself swapping them over. I was more interested to know they fitted, I'll imagine what they look like.  Could I ask why you're not using them?

quote:
In the interests of achieving large multi hand position bar ends on a 20º sweep bar, I am currently trying some Humpert Vario Hornbars - these are a 20º sweep bar with integrated large bar ends, removable for fitting a Rohloff gear shifter (it won't go round any sort of bend).

Haven't seen those before, they look interesting, not for the Raven but I might give them a go for another project.

I'm not really looking to change position, I think I've got the reach and width that suits me best. It's more the contact points that I think need refining.

tynevalleycommuter

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 09:48:28 am »
I have found riser bars much more comfortable than straights, with a much more natural wrist angle (unlike you I DID have problems).

I have piloted on a friends Raven Discovery tandem and found that even with the standard Thorn 'comfort' bars I needed some additional hand positions in order to keep my wrists and thumbs/fingers from going numb. So I fitted some old basic bar ends I had in the shed and wrapped them well in a couple of layers of cork drop bar tape to give a bit of cushioning. That worked OK for me but still with occasional numbness. The bar ends look OK and give 2 more hand positions - on the 'straights' and on the 'hooks' at the end when I wanted to get my head down.

If I had a Raven I would be looking for a way to combine drop bars with the Rohloff twist grip as that would be my ideal! (I have never had problems with numbness on drop bars)

On our own tandem (which is derailleur equipped not Rohloff) in desperation I have converted it from riser bars to drops using bar end levers and travel agents for the V brakes. This is by far the most comfortable and gives a much better range of positions.

pdamm

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 09:39:54 pm »
My choice is a set of butterfly bars with Ergon grips that I needed to “coax” onto the bars.  I cut one down to make room for the Rohloff shifter.  I like the range of hand positions I get and find it very comfortable.  In part because I have raised the bar height so there is less weight on my hands and it means my head is up higher so I get a better view.  I have the Rohloff shifter on the left side so I had one hand on each of the major controls – the left for the gear change and the right hand for the front brakes.  As it turned out my left hand was a bit more susceptible to getting numb and having the shifter on the left means I move that hand around more hence reducing the minor numbness to zero.

Peter Damm

Swislon

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 07:23:36 pm »
Hi PH,

I have a straight bar, Ergon grips with Cane creek bar ends on my RST. The Ergons are fabulous, lots of comfort. Cane Creeks seem abit odd at first but do give different options. I often rest my hands right over the end in front, gives a more stretched out position and I find it really comfortable. Sometimes I feel they could even be a bit longer. I am going to cut down, like you have, my bar to make it narrower to try and get it about shoulder width & then that should just about do it.
Unless I like the look of someone elses ideas of course [:D]

daviddd55

• 19500km Circuit of Australia 07/08
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 10:13:45 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by pdamm

My choice is a set of butterfly bars with Ergon grips that I needed to “coax” onto the bars.  I cut one down to make room for the Rohloff shifter.  I like the range of hand positions I get and find it very comfortable.  In part because I have raised the bar height so there is less weight on my hands and it means my head is up higher so I get a better view.  I have the Rohloff shifter on the left side so I had one hand on each of the major controls – the left for the gear change and the right hand for the front brakes.  As it turned out my left hand was a bit more susceptible to getting numb and having the shifter on the left means I move that hand around more hence reducing the minor numbness to zero.

Peter Damm

D'ye have any pics of this setup Peter, quite interested in the butterfly bars myself?

pdamm

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 04:19:56 am »
As requested by daviddd55

Peter Damm