Author Topic: Will a Mercury make a noticeable difference?  (Read 21383 times)

Peejay

Re: Will a Mercury make a noticeable difference?
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 12:57:31 pm »
Hi Jags,
            Check the Member's Gallery under "Another Mercury" posting, 2nd page, 6th item - there's more information and photos there.

Pete.

jags

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2015, 01:15:30 pm »
 ;) cheers will do.

jags

Huernie

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 10:49:50 pm »
Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts/experiences. I guess the only definite way for me to assess any noticeable difference would be to take a trip down to Bridgwater and ride a Mercury for myself. Of course, once I've travelled from Glasgow it might feel like a wasted journey to leave empty handed... ;D

jags

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 11:18:27 pm »
just dont tell the wife and if you have to just tell her it was only 150 quid. ;)
don't think it will improve your speed any, but it will certainly do your head the world of good.
the way i look at these things( if i had the money) is i could be dead in a few weeks so enjoy while i can .
cars just don't interest me but bikes man oh man i love top of the range quality bikes.
get your glad rags on and head off to bridgewater and buy that feckin bike before u change your mind.

jags.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 10:19:05 pm »
I have a Mercury as my weekend warrior day rides bike.

It has rather short chainstays and I am not sure about heel clearance with large touring panniers.

Mike

Donerol

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2015, 10:07:53 am »
That seems reasonable - it is not intended for 'heavy' touring with large panniers. It will be fine for credit-card touring, and the OP can keep his Koga for camping expeditions.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2015, 02:07:35 pm »
I sense the electricity of a new bike purchase in the air!

Won't be long now....  ;)

All the best,

Dan.

Huernie

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2015, 08:05:35 pm »
Ha! Well I put much thought into it and decided on a different route and firmly made my mind up that I would go for an Audax Mk3. Seemed a sensible choice for a quick bike that could handle a bit of luggage when required. My research has also peaked a significant interest in having a shot at some Audax riding (after watching this clip who could resist? http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/bbc-show-documents-1300km-cycling-event-scotland-video-147537 )

I Phoned up today with bank card in hand to make the order and spoke to Andy B. I explained I would like a Mk3 rather than the newer Mk3R as I wanted the forks with lo-loader bosses. "Why?" was the answer. Well lengthy conversation ensued and guess what? That's right, back to square one; he firmly recommended a straight bar Mercury for both light touring and fast (well fast for me anyway ;D) Audaxing.

Decisions, decisions...

Andy
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:16:04 pm by Huernie »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2015, 08:08:55 pm »
Agony!  :-\

Thoughts are with you...

All the best,

Dan. (...who thinks you won't lose either way)

jags

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 09:16:03 pm »
it's great isn't it  ;)
your best bet would be the clubtour imho.
fast bike carry all the luggage u want  yeah that would be my choice,u don't need an audax bike to ride an audax good legs will do it every time.
anyway no matter your choice have fun. 8)

jags

Swislon

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2015, 10:24:17 am »
The Club Tour is a good call Jags. It will do the lot.
But being a little like a jack of all trades it isn't the fastest bike out there but is really comfortable doing it.
My friend has a dropped bar Mercury and I have a Club Tour Mk4. We ride together and we keep up with each other easily enough, but we are not out there for speed. We are both dropped on hills by other friends with light carbon or titanium audax bikes. We catch them up on the downhill.
He also has a Koga with Rohloff which I have ridden and I think is a beast of burden and I am noticeably slower on it.
I think you would notice a difference in speed on all three Thorns compared to your Koga.

I would be asking myself do I want a Rohloff or derailleurs?
If the Koga is Rohloff would I be happy going back to derailleurs. A lot of people can't go back.

If you are happy with both then I'd go visit Thorn and try them all and go on routes that have some hills. All three bikes will be fast on the flat but it's when you get to the hills that you can see difference in speed. Bridgwater is relatively flat, but there are hills, so you need to be pointed at them.

I can feel the agony, most of us have been through it and some still go through it every time a new bike comes into our mind!

Steve

geocycle

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2015, 09:56:41 am »
Well put Steve, a great summary. Anyone like to comment on the ride difference between a mk3 audax and a Mercury other things been equal? The audax being designed for a faster ride while the Mercury has broader uses, or have I got that wrong??

Andybg

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2015, 03:20:17 pm »
One other bike to consider (not that you need to make the decision more difficult) is one of the last of the line Raven Sport Tours. SJS are selling some off now at excellent prices - you end up with a very similar bike (albeit 26") to the Mercury at about half the price.

I went down the line of buying an Audax as a light day ride bike instead of my Raven Tour or Nomad but found the pressure needed in the skinny tyres compared to the 1.75 to 2" made the ride much less comfortable. I run 1.5" on my Raven Sport Tour and it makes a perfect compromise between fast and comfortable.

Andy

geocycle

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2015, 06:15:15 pm »
The RST is indeed an excellent bike. I love mine as a brilliant all rounder. I think I prefer it to my RT but that was also a great ride. I'd like to try an audax bike to see how different it is and if I could justify one as a summer bike.  As with all bikes the build is really important especially wheels and bar styles.

jags

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2015, 08:00:48 pm »
Say Andy have you seen this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMkhH7T5uY