Author Topic: Scotland where the wind blows!!  (Read 9656 times)

AndyE

Scotland where the wind blows!!
« on: September 06, 2015, 08:22:26 pm »
I'm sat at a campsite just short of the isle of Skye. Today was the fith day of my tour and it has been tough going cycling into the wind for the last 4 days. I have had to copleatly re think the rest of the tour. At times I have to peddle down hill just to keep up a steady speed! & that northerly wind has been bitterly  could at times. I'm glad I have the 4 season down sleeping bag with me. Tomorrow will be a rest day to plan out what I will do for the rest of the week. Winds set to change to sse and strong winds at that. They may well be warm winds but a lot sronger than I have so far. One puncher so far, my sleeping mat!! It decided to go flat at 01.30 this morning  and after a long old day with 800m climed it was not welcomed.  All fixed now . Im warm, full of dinner, with a beer and soon to be horizontal hopefully sleep will soon follow.  I will post some photos on my return home.

Andy.
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

jags

Re: Scotland where the wind blows!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 08:36:31 pm »
oh nothing worse for a cyclish as strong head winds ,well there probably is  but it's up there  ::)
what happened the matt Andy did you pierse it with something  pointy  :o :o
i hope the weather picks up for you at least the beer and the grub sounds  good.
keep the faith.

anto

StillOld

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 09:00:28 pm »
AndyE.....we got back from our trip yesterday. We also had to deal with the winds but the weather was superb. I will post a trip summary soon....when the legs feel better.

StillOld

AndyE

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 11:20:54 pm »
Hear are just a few shots of the trip. It did not all go as I had planed, but hay, a lot of fun even at 3 mph up hill in to a very strong wind.

This is a very old sign at the side of the canal, I suspect the "KM" is not referring to Kilometers. Dose anyone know what they may stand for?

Not sure if this Reynolds tubing!

On the banks of the Forth & Clyde Canal on NCN 754 just before joining NCN 7. I was 152nd.

Bowling just at the end of the Forth & Clyde Canal.

First night at Caravan and Camping club site at Luss on Loch Lomond . I followed NCN 754 / 7 & West Loch Lomond Cycle way for a very enjoyable 32 miles.

Day two and continuing on the West Loch Lomond Cycle Way to Tarbet. This is the disused part of the old A82 and traffic free. From Tarbet I followed the A82, heading for the Caravan and camping club site at Glenco 58 miles away. I knew before setting off this was to be a tough days riding. The A82 is a busy route and care was needed from Tarbet to Ardlui, the road is very narrow and the surface is very poor in places. As I reached the new viaduct just before Pulpit Rock, the road swings left and west I felt the full force of the north wind and it was gusting up 30 MPH! From hear to Crainlaric was a long hard slog up hill and beyond up to Tyndrum , 29 miles and  500m of ascent with very little decent! Lunch was ordered with lots of carbs. I should have called it a day hear but stubborn pride made me go on. I was determined to reach the camp site at the bottom of Glenco to keep on track with the plan I had made!
After lunch and a good brake, I pushed on. The climbing was not over, and the wind had not eased. Passing the Bridge of Orchy a bit of down hill, however the wind had other ideas. It was getting late and with more climbing to do, before a good 8 mile down hill stretch to camp in Glenco.

A vantage point but not at the top.

Eventually I had to call it a day, 10 miles short and I was goosed. The wind had taken it's toll, 800m over 48 miles in 10 hours. Tied, hungry and thirsty I pulled of the A82 at Kings House Hotel, a well used wild camping spot on the west Highland way at the back of the Hotel. Tent up and into the Climbers bar to relax and refuel. Sleep came very quickly this night.

More to follow.

Andy

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:29:40 pm by AndyE »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 11:42:54 pm »
What an absolutely fantastic photo-essay and tour report to date, Andy, and such a pleasure to read and see. Many thanks for the posting. Very much looking forward to the next installment.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 12:07:40 am »
Class Andy to tired to comment tho  ;)

macspud

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 03:25:27 am »
I'm enjoying your tour report and photos.

This is a very old sign at the side of the canal, I suspect the "KM" is not referring to Kilometers. Dose anyone know what they may stand for?

I think that the KM does stand for kilometers. The sign may look older than it actually is.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:35:48 am by macspud »

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 10:22:40 am »
Super set of photos, Andy. I especially like the big and not so little bikes together.

geocycle

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 01:36:06 pm »
'A vantage point but not at the top'  Curiously, I also have a lot of photos taken just before the top of big hills, can't think why.....

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing!

StillOld

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 06:17:23 pm »
Andy.....what happened next. As you mentioned we encountered some good headwinds. Quite funny as we had originally planned our route north to south but changed it in view of the "normal" south westerlies.

And as soon as we changed southwards...the wind changed to South East. Never had a tail wind.  ;D

AndyE

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 07:33:32 pm »
Andy.....what happened next.

Funny you should say that  :-X . All in good time, unable to post photos at moment due to poor conection.

Andy

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 11:40:00 pm »
You're on my old stamping ground.
So pleased to see the scenery again from the comfort of my nice warm house!
I frequently did Glasgow/ Oban / Fort William.

The wind and rain usually die down after 3 weeks!

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

AndyE

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 03:08:53 pm »
Hopefully I can get through this before my connection drops out again!

Part Two, Plan 2A 1.1

After a good nights sleep, I was up early and ready for day 3. I lit my stove and got a brew on the go, something I'v done a thousand time before, a grate moral booster. Sitting back in my new chair, drinking my coffee, pondering was it to be porridge and boiled egg or a full breakfast at the hotel! The crisp white linen table cloth did look good, orange juice, Wheetabix, 4 slices of toast , 2 more cups of freshly brewed coffee, and a big plate bacon eggs etc, no contest really  ;D

As I had to wait awhile to be served, time to think on how I was going to proceed from hear for the next couple of days. It was obvious I was not going to hit all the targets I had set myself, In needed to be in Inverness  next Friday night so lets just see what happens! Breakfast consumed and paid for, I mounted the Sherpa and back on to the A82. Being up high, the wind was still in my face, and made for hard going on tied legs. I was still climbing and longing for the fast down hill stretch down into Glencoe. Well that wind had it in for me, I had to peddle down hill just to keep up a reasonable speed! I could see the speed bleed off on the GPS as soon as I started to coast! This is all becoming  very tiresome. I had to stop, to see if a brake or hub was binding but no, over two hours to cover that 10 miles. I eventual got to the visitors center in Glencoe, where I was heading for the day before to camp at the C&C club site. Time for a coffee and a cake.

Crossing the bridge over Lock leven, the A82 had been busy but now with the extra traffic coming from Oban too, I ditched the A82 at the Corran Ferry and crossed over for free.

Finally the strong wind had dropped, It had become overcast, but no rain as yet and hopefully it would stay that way.

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq232/electriceel_bucket/IMG_0037.jpg

Time for lunch. The next 11 miles were most enjoyable no wind, steep climb at times but grate fun, stopping every now and then to look at Loch Linnhe from a side I have not seen before.  Reaching the ferry that takes you across to Fort William, avoiding an extra 20 mile. I made the call for the ferry!! No reply on one number and no we don't cover that anymore on the other! the next and last scheduled ferry was over an hour away. Luckily the new ferry master was doing a trip round with some tourist and I managed to flag him down  :D £1.50 for rider £1.50 for Bike.

Now over to Fort William, time for a resupply at Tesco's and off to McDonald's, and on to Lochy camp site.

(I'll quit while am ahead back later)

Andy

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 03:59:41 pm »
Entertaining photos and accounts. Thank you so much for sharing.

StillOld

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 04:20:28 pm »
Glad we didn't try the western route out then as we would have missed the last ferry. Love the pictures in Glen Coe.