Author Topic: Rohloff slipping  (Read 19165 times)

mattwhitford

Rohloff slipping
« on: February 22, 2007, 01:42:10 pm »
Every now and then - maybe three times since my (10 months) clocking up 1,800 miles so far - my Rohloff speed hub 'slips'.  It's like the chain has come off or something.  It did it once when I specifically remember changing gear (accelerating through traffic), and another time whilst not changing gear.  Not sure about the third time.  I'd say the pedals do a 1/3 revolution before the mechanism re-engaging.

Anyone else experienced this?

Slightly concerned as soon I am off to cycle the Spitti valley, Sach pass and Manali-Leh highway for a coupla months.

julk

Re: Rohloff slipping
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 02:37:00 pm »
I experienced this 'slip' effect 3 times in the first 330 miles. It felt just like a new chain jumping on an old worn derailleur block. I also found changing up into 5, 10 and 12 could be a bit notchy  - somewhat like going from 7 to 8.
I contacted SJSC for advice and they recommended 4 things to try :-
    • checking/adjusting the play in the gear cables
    • changing the oil, with 2 flushes
    • adding mileage to run the hub in more
    • change gear slower and with less pressure.

I have checked the cable adjustment, tried them tighter and slacker and think they are now set at optimum. I have changed the oil with just the one flush and intend to do another oil change at around 650 miles. I am cycling as much as the weather, increasing years and recurrent flu is allowing to increase the mileage. I am changing gear with a slower action and little pressure on the pedal, although I didn't think I was at all rough/hurried before.

I have had 1 more 'slip' since the oil change, but the change has got smoother into 5 and 12, into 10 can still be a bit notchy.

So I am seeing an improvement from following the SJSC advice. Given your mileage I can only suggest an oil change with maybe 2 flushes to clean out any particles which may be causing your 'slips'.

mattwhitford

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 03:26:27 pm »
Julk, thanks for your detailed response. At least this sort of thing doesn't sound uncommon (from SJS).  It doesn't bother me, as long as it isn't a symptom of the one and only Rohloff in the history of Rohloff speed hubs to have an unmendable mechanical breakdown whilst in the middle of a trip-of-a-lifetime.

A question about oil change:
I was under the impression that one doesn't have to worry about the first oil change until 5,000k (3000miles)in, or one year from purchase.  Do you think I should get SJS to do this first one for me, or, as the 'video' suggests, is it a piece of cake to DIY?

Matt

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 03:56:24 pm »
Oil changes are VERY easy. If you know how use a screwdriver I am sure you won’t have a problem doing it yourself.  Watch the video a couple of times to get the technique down.  

You are correct an oil change is not 'required' until 3000 miles however several people have reported a benefit doing the first oil change after the run in period (1000miles).

Best of luck

Stuart

julk

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 05:46:11 pm »
Matt,
I agree with stutho's reply, and the oil change I did recently was made very easy by watching the video.

I suspect that in the thousands of units that Rohloff make there must be some variation in sizes/tolerances. The gears that tend towards a tighter initial fit will be less tolerant of run-in particles in the oil until they are fully run-in and these are the ones which benefit from an earlier oil change or two.

The oils needed work out quite expensive if you buy just enough for 1 oil change at a time. I started with the basic oil change kit and refill, but when I next need to change the oil I am going to 'invest' in the litre cans and reuse the plastic components.

pdamm

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 09:14:14 pm »
I get the slipping you talk about every few weeks (~150 km riding per week).  It took a while to work it out but I finally realised I am occasionally over rotating the gear change leaving the hub in between gears.  It seems to take about half a pedle revolution for my hand to relax its grip on the shifter and the hub to settle in to the correct gear.  I have given up worrying about it now.

Peter Damm

PH

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 09:21:46 am »
quote:
Originally posted by pdamm

I get the slipping you talk about every few weeks (~150 km riding per week).  It took a while to work it out but I finally realised I am occasionally over rotating the gear change leaving the hub in between gears.  It seems to take about half a pedle revolution for my hand to relax its grip on the shifter and the hub to settle in to the correct gear.  I have given up worrying about it now.

Peter Damm

Try playing with the tension of the gear cables.  I have poor grip in my fingers and have to slacken the cables right off to connect the bayonets, I then tend to over tighten them and get the same thing, slackening them off a bit totally cures it, but go to slack and it makes it worse!

quote:
The oils needed work out quite expensive if you buy just enough for 1 oil change at a time. I started with the basic oil change kit and refill, but when I next need to change the oil I am going to 'invest' in the litre cans and reuse the plastic components.

I did the same, except I worked out a litre would be more than a lifetimes worth, so I split it with others, keeping about 10 years worth.  250ml worked out about a fiver dearer than 25ml and that was after buying decent containers.  I think it works out at around £2 per change, cheap enough to do on a whim.  There was no shortage of people prepared to buy 250ml from me, I could easily have split another litre.  The seals in the syringes won’t last forever, I’m sure there must be a choice of replacements, I can’t see why the pipe shouldn’t last.

geocycle

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 10:08:03 am »
It seems poor marketing to only offer 50ml or 1 litre options.  Like PH I was set to buy in bulk but realised that I could not justify the expense unless I was still riding furiously at age 106!  Maybe we could encourage SJSC to make up some 250ml bottles, or we could organise something ourselves?

Swislon

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 10:44:52 am »
I would buy 250ml.

Steve

PH

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 10:52:20 am »
quote:
Originally posted by geocycle

It seems poor marketing to only offer 50ml or 1 litre options.  

It's even worse than that, the small bottles are 25ml each, which seems neither here nor there when you consider the recommended fill is 15ml!
A litre of each costs £60, to buy the same quantity in 25ml bottles costs

wait for it

£479.60
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 10:55:13 am by PH »

geocycle

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 12:05:06 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by PH

quote:
Originally posted by geocycle

It seems poor marketing to only offer 50ml or 1 litre options.  

It's even worse than that, the small bottles are 25ml each, which seems neither here nor there when you consider the recommended fill is 15ml!
A litre of each costs £60, to buy the same quantity in 25ml bottles costs

wait for it

£479.60

You're right! I misread the blurb that mentions the 50ml syringe as 50ml of fluids. 25ml is less than two changes - a useless amount [V].

mattwhitford

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 01:36:02 pm »
Thanks for all your advice, fellers.  I am suitably reassured about the slipage I have been experiencing.
(Will be quite interesting to see what comes out with the dirty oil, with its first change.)

Regards oil, I would be happy to go in on the bulk purchase of oil, maybe buy 250ml (or 300).

It might be worth taking some oil for a few ml 'top up' after a flight.  I noticed after I'd taken my bike (R Catalyst - dream machine) to Turkey last April, there was 'seepage' dribbling down the hub after being in the hold of the plane.  Something to do with pressure perhaps?  

goosander

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 03:34:33 pm »
I've also experienced a few 'slips' on my hub which has done about 650 miles.  I'm not too concerned as I've experienced the same thing on every type of internal gear hub I've ever used and it is nearly always due incorrect cable adjustment or in the case of the rohloff 'over shifting'.

With regard to the rohloff oil, you can buy the small bottles of oil & oil change kits for half the UK price from a german web site though you would need to be ordering other things as well to justify the postage.  It might be a bit cheeky to post a link here but if anyone but if anyone wants it, send me a message.

I'd also be in for 250ml of oil if a bulk purchase can be arranged.

goosander

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 03:40:03 pm »
Should have also said, I'd be quite happy to organise a bulk purchase.

Swislon

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 03:58:30 pm »
I'm in for 250ml goose. if you want to arrange.

Steve