Author Topic: My Sterling...  (Read 5458 times)

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
My Sterling...
« on: April 26, 2015, 05:58:31 pm »

This morning at Praia Do Almargen, Portugal.

Brian.

jags

Re: My Sterling...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 06:19:47 pm »
Wow Just WOW.

class.

jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 06:19:52 pm »
Oh! What terrific photos in such a beautiful place, Brian!

Thanks for sharing them with it. The bike looks great!

Best,

Dan.

alfie1952

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 06:45:21 pm »
I was out walking the dog about 40 minutes ago when I got absolutely hammered with hailstones, and freezing cold winds.  But would I change places with you.................................... Too bloody right I would.  Stunning !!

Regards Alfie

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 07:20:03 pm »
Thanks all. The wind is very strong here today thus rather cool and not many people around (the way I like it!). It is rather full of golfers the year round. The area is Vilamoura on the Algarve, a couple of hours drive from where we live in Spain. This is a shot of the coastline just there.....

Brian.

in4

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 07:25:05 pm »
Wonderful to see a Sterling on the board, and in such a wonderful place. I think there is a long distance cycleway not too far away from there; finishes on the Atlantic coast I believe.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 07:46:34 pm »
Wonderful to see a Sterling on the board, and in such a wonderful place. I think there is a long distance cycleway not too far away from there; finishes on the Atlantic coast I believe.

Yes the Ecovia do Litoral. http://www.visit-eastalgarve.com/travel_guide/Ecovia.html I haven't followed it much but I read it's poorly marked and somewhat badly maintained. But there you go PT has no money! :(
Brian.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 08:35:48 am »
Wonderful to see a Sterling on the board, and in such a wonderful place.

A fuller picture of the bike. The Sterling is about 6 years old, the Kirtland rack bag and the Sigg bottles 20 years old this year.  :o

Brian.

geocycle

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 09:56:34 am »
Terrific to have a sterling thread.  It looks well suited to the terrain. What a splendid part of the world as well!

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 10:52:53 am »
Whilst on the Sterling topic what happened to the model? Why was it's production discontinued?
Brian.

jags

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 11:04:38 am »
Just looking at that bike it must be super comfy to ride what with front suspension and thudbuster seatpost .certainly handle rough stuff no problems but (theres always a but).
what is it like on smooth  tarmac  loaded up, is it very sluggish tough animal climbing hills i would imagine. ::)

jags.

in4

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 11:29:17 am »
I've often thought that the Sterling was ahead of its time; a bit of a good all rounder that would suit many cycling styles. I think they call it a Hybrid these days! Perhaps the return of the Sterling is well overdue, but please do not rename it the Euro ;)

PS Those Kirtland bags are legendary and much sought after these days. Your Sterling ensemble is a great set up and ideal for exploring the Spanish/Portugese coast. Which tyres are you running?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:10:36 pm by in4 »

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 11:46:46 pm »
Hi jags and in4. Yes, the Sterling can be a feel a bit heavy on the hills at times but where we live it's quite flat. It is a comfortable ride. When I bought it I had plans for touring but for a variety of reasons that never happened so it is never loaded. In fact I am looking at increasing the size of the chainring because I feel the gearing is a little low in daily use. I have Conti Town and Country 2.0 tyres on at the moment. I am amazed that the Kirtland bag has survived for so long. Black has faded to grey and everything feels a bit brittle but the zips still work smoothly so I don't feel the need to change. I am very happy with the Sterling and run her together with my 20+ year old hybrid Dawes Mean Street.
Brian.