Author Topic: Mercury  (Read 7355 times)

markbUK

Mercury
« on: February 05, 2015, 06:25:15 pm »
Just completed my Mercury build, frame was the one on eBay a few weeks ago, the hub was originally a non disc/internal gear mechanism, from my Kalkoff Endeavour,  wheels are DT Swiss TK540 rims, with a Dura Ace hub, thanks to Dave Whittle at Thorn for help with the hub and rack fittings, triaesthete (Ian) for the disc, calliper swap and Jez Barker (Bay Cycle's) for the wheel build.

Mark

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Mercury
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 07:58:17 pm »
Lovely build, Mark! Looks fast just standing still. In mathematical terms, "elegant" -- everything you need, nothing you don't.

Best,

Dan.

Swislon

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 09:14:13 pm »
Looks great Mark, how does it ride?

Steve

Relayer

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 08:08:07 am »
the hub was originally a non disc/internal gear mechanism, from my Kalkoff Endeavour,  wheels are DT Swiss TK540 rims, with a Dura Ace hub, thanks to Dave Whittle at Thorn for help with the hub and rack fittings, triaesthete (Ian) for the disc, calliper swap and Jez Barker (Bay Cycle's) for the wheel build.

Mark

I knew that a Rohloff with an internal gear mechanism could be converted to EX Box, but further conversion to disc compatible is a new one on me; very interesting indeed.

Very nice bike Mark, congratulations.

Jim

markbUK

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 12:04:45 pm »
Thanks all for the comments, the front wheel was only finished yesterday, so I'm looking forward to getting a reasonable ride in on Sunday, but initial impressions with the front wheel from the kalkoff in, was how light and nimble it is, I've gone for 39,17 for the gearing which similar to my original set up, which works for me on our hilly south Devon back roads. 

Mark

ians

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 05:17:36 pm »
that is a handsome bike.  Enjoy.

ian

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 07:17:53 pm »
Super build in my favourite colour. Love the details in red.  I considered going that way myself and swapping the Rohloff onto a mercury frame although in the end an RST came up. I guess if you've got bits around then it can be more economical than a new build.  Those mudguards are put on very nicely.

Swislon

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 06:45:41 pm »
Mark,

How is your Mercury riding now you have had it a while?
Do you like the Ergon grips and bar ends? Are they similar to riding on the drops?

Steve

markbUK

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 10:25:41 am »
Hi Steve
Shortly after completing the build I decided to get a bike fit done, and we set up the bars in terms width and bar end angle similar to using drops, however to bar night is set up in a fairly relaxed position, I've also changed the seat post to get more lay back and fitted a brooks imperial, sort of looks a bit modern retro is that makes sense

PIC of the bar set up

markbUK

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 10:32:34 am »
Side view

Swislon

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 05:26:42 pm »
Mark,

Thanks for the photos , your bike is really looking good.
What width did you cut the bars to?
What is the ride like now you've set things up this way?
Do you feel the bar ends are similar to drops and just as comfortable?

Cheers Steve

markbUK

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 05:40:44 pm »
The bars are cut to about 500mm, I could go a tad narrower but that would mean setting the gear levers off level to get the cables to miss each other,

I think the bike fit was well worth the cost and time, much more comfortable ride and resolved some of the knee pain issues I had, ride wise the position of the bar endsis similar to riding on the hoods, although the drop bar width would be a bit narrower at 440mm

Swislon

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 08:16:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply Mark.
Andy Blance swears by this set up and I have always preferred drops but haven't tried a bike set up like this on an extended ride.
500 mm is pretty narrow for a straight bar and as the bar ends curl round then it will be even narrower. I also use 440mm drops but was thinking the other day that I might be better off with 460mm.

My wife has an RST which she loves to bits but with the Thorn Comfort bar. I always seem to be coming back and looking at photos of Mercurys on this Forum and the mega Thorn brochure as well. I need therapy.........

Cheers
Steve