Author Topic: xTc classic  (Read 7639 times)

Bill C

Re: xTc classic
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 11:00:41 pm »
hi Kuba
No paint! it's raw steel with clear lacquer, took me an age to get all the rust off back as clean as it is now
rust killer and nylon kitchen scouring pads and sore fingers for about 3 weeks, then multiple coats of lacquer
then i hung it for a month or so to cure, then a wet sand and polished it up
probably won't last forever but it was a labour of love and worth every minute, being a summer bike i reckon a couple of seasons before i need to strip it and redo
i did think about powdercoating it but didn't fancy having it blasted, thin tubes and blasting naa! plus it would play havoc with all the nice crisp lugs

glad you posted as i saw that you bought one and wondered how you were doing with it, you have an awesome treat instore when you build it up, so get a move on lol
atb Bill

Kuba

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 11:56:14 pm »
I admire your dedication Bill, but in this case mine will be blue! I'll ask Argos to be careful when shot blasting, from speaking to them I understand they always treat bare metal frames like that so hope they know what they're doing... Well, at £140 for a single colour, they definitely should.

Your photos may just make me get on with the build. The frame has been sat in the living room for far too long. Just one last question, what are the bars in the photo?

And what a brilliant idea to leave it bare metal, really, I'd say it's the prettiest bike I've yet seen on this forum. But watch out for mine when it's finally built!

jags

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 12:04:13 am »
cheek obviously haven't seen mine :'( :'( :'(

jags
that hurt deep down .

Bill C

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 12:41:07 am »
Just one last question, what are the bars in the photo?

they are Modolo Gran fondo's

i use them on the sherpa as well, i bought them here     http://www.defietsenmaker.nl/index.php?item=modolo-gran-fondo-handlebar-_-wide-44-50cm-center-center&action=article&group_id=10000004&aid=66&lang=EN

Kuba

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 09:08:51 am »
Hey Anto, cheer up, Audax 853 is definitely the second-best looking bike Thorn ever made, after the XTC. :P

Bill, looks like I'll end up with the same bars as you have, thank you! Might start a thread on the build shortly to help me with other bits...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:17:05 am by Kuba »

jags

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 09:51:53 am »
 ;) ah that will do so. 8)

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 02:29:31 pm »
Love it, Bill! It is one choice looking machine.

I especially like the handlebar treatment. The tops come way back for drop bars - I think I understand why you rotated the hoods upwards - to get them closer?

Besides the amazing finish (well done!), my favourite aspect is the bar end shifter mounts. Why didn't I think of that?  :o

Audax hopeful

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 03:06:53 pm »
I'm really drawn to this machine. A clearly individual build with so much attention to detail!

Very thought-provoking!!

And stylish too!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 06:50:33 pm »
Bill,

This is just a stunning machine, and I keep coming back for yet another look...and will again and again.

Wow.  Wow!

You've really created one for the ages here, and given many others pleasure by sharing it. Well done and many thanks for the photos posted here.

All the best,

Dan.

Bill C

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 12:05:57 am »
hi all
really pleased you like her , i thought strange shifter setup,funky bars, shortie mudguards and a sharkfin would get me run off the forum, i at least thought i'd get some ribbing, so i am REALLY pleased you like her

Sammy... the bars are setup like that because of my back, front to back the bars are longer than my old ski bend extensions
grip at the back and i'm nearly upright
grip on the hoods and i am as prone as i can be
grip left hood and right hand on the straight i can change gear and brake in traffic, also i can use the right hand for a two finger salute when applicable  ::)
alternate each hand front to back a few mins at a time and i can keep varying my posture/spine
they are (brake levers) setup a bit higher than on my sherpa but the bars on the sherpa are good couple of inches higher
plus i get a myriad of hand positions as a bonus, who was it that said drops are a bodge and unergonomic?

Audax Hopeful......you been parking your bike at Fremington Quay this week? as i saw a red Thorn leaning against the wall outside the cafe tother day, i would of stopped and spoke but when i mentioned keeping an eye out for you in another thread there was no response so i gave it a miss

Dan,,,,,, really pleased you like the bike, i waited to see if it got the thumbs up from a mod before i posted any other pics,
no need to thank me for posting pics as i have been dropping in and out of here for approx 5 years. about time i added something rather than just reading posts and keeping quiet

the colour in the pics is very warm as it was early evening, the steel seems to look a lot different depending on ambient light temprature, i'll upload a few pics of the frame after lacquer but before wet sand and polish

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:52:48 am by Bill C »

Bill C

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 12:07:18 am »
seat cluster

Bill C

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 12:09:31 am »
fork
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:11:50 am by Bill C »

David Simpson

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 12:38:11 am »
i thought strange shifter setup,funky bars, shortie mudguards and a sharkfin would get me run off the forum, i at least thought i'd get some ribbing

Bill --

Your unorthodox setup is what we like about your bike! I think the highest compliment is when other (knowledgeable) people are inspired by what you have done.

And a really like that metal "paint" job. It looks very classy.

What is a sharkfin?

- Dave

Bill C

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 12:47:42 am »
hi Dave
a sharksfin is either the naffest bit of shimano XT kit ever or if you think like me, it's a pretty much bombproof way of protecting the paint on the chainstay
http://www.bikerecyclery.com/shimano-deore-xt-shark-fin-chain-deflector-nib

David Simpson

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 12:54:30 am »
OK, I remember now. I knew I had heard of it before, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

By the way, those evening photos of your bike are like works of art. The colours are perfect.

- Dave