Author Topic: Personal brag board: Whacha done? Who did you ride with?  (Read 1689 times)

Andre Jute

Personal brag board: Whacha done? Who did you ride with?
« on: August 31, 2014, 06:10:24 pm »
This is the place to put your more lighthearted records, heroic deeds (like helping Godzilla's Mum across the road), namedroppings and other other claims to fame.

Andre Jute

Re: Personal brag board: Whacha done? Who did you ride with?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 06:10:59 pm »
Must be a very long hill on which Dan made 90kph.

Still, I've made a ton...

I made a ton once on quite a short piece of road, behind a specially prepared truck (big panel-side truck, open doors at the rear, a sheet of ply attached to them to within an inch of the road to give me a stable air envelope), and the small country road, just resurfaced, was cleared and blocked by the tractors of friendly farmers at both ends, and all dogs were under restraint; normally I go down there at about 55-60kph on my present Utopia Kranich. The record bike, incidentally, was a Royal Dutch Gazelle Toulouse vakansiefiets (basically a fully trimmed city commuter of a price range usually saved by the Dutch for high days and holidays) running on standard 38mm Marathon Plus tyres and with my normal 38x16 transmission chain into a Nexus Premium 8-speed. For special prep on the bike, I fitted new pads to the front disc brake and pumped some grease into the rear roller brake, and I also reset the handlebars real low out front and rotatated with the grips almost vertical by opening the lever of  the Switch stem, a Gazelle premium range standard fitting, placing the handlebars in the position and rotation I wanted, and closing the lever. That put my back not just flat but with a slope forward for some aero advantage; nothing else: didn't even remove the rack or mudguards or chain case or stand. For protective clothing I wore a tracksuit and my usual Bell commuter helmet, a Metro. I let the truck go when the handler standing inside the truck sliced his hand at about 65mph just as we came to the top of the hill, and what seemed only seconds later, just as I started to enjoy myself on the downhill side, flashed past the first brake marker (a shouting pedal pal holding up a board) and  started hauling her up again. That was my personal ton-up (truck-assisted) record. Not a big deal for most, I suppose, but I thought I'd better do it before a fall meant certain hip replacement...

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:06:24 pm »
Guess it would be my 30 day trip around Scotland on my Raven.
Never missed a beat apart from the front cog being stripped. My fault for not preparing properly.

Its given me the confidence for a much longer tour.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:37:00 pm »
i had so many great days on the bike but my all time favourate was when i done the Camino.not so much speed although i did clock 62mph coming off a mega decent could have gone much faster but i waited for one of the lads, No it was when i broke clear from the group going up a 12 km mountain pass,i seen a lone figure in the distance  when i caught up to him i shouted get on my wheel brother,he said no no my friend you go to fast (he was Chinese) only joking Spanish guy and a great cyclist but this mountain belonged to this kid that particular day i took him all the way to the top a high speed, where he bought me a can of coke and a kiss on each cheek saying my Friend you sure know how to climb hills.
ah happy days I'm 3 stone heaver these days and take hills at a much slower pace.

i cycled 10 miles in the road with Paul Kimmage he was out on a 150 mile training spin when he was a pro back in the 80's nice guy.

anto.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:21:12 am »
My first bicycle camping trip was in 1970 when I was 14 years old, if my memory and math are correct. I was living in Lake Forest, Illinois. I think there were four of us. We rode up into Wisconsin. I remember riding near Lake Geneva. We talked about the 40 inch refractor telescope there, at Yerkes Observatory - the largest refractor telescope in the world! But we didn't go visit. I think we camped out over night for two nights. The first night we pulled in maybe 9 PM and the ranger's office was closed. We left a note on the office door. Mark was deputed to compose the note, which began, "We, a group of campers..." That's all I remember but we laughed about that note the rest of the trip.

Mark is now the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of Hawai'i.