Author Topic: Can you travel further on 700 rims?  (Read 12871 times)

Andre Jute

Re: Can you travel further on 700 rims?
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2014, 05:02:52 pm »
I went for Exal LX17 black rims, LX hubs and stainless double butted (not on drive side of rear wheel) spokes.

I came to this spec from reading info on forums like this one, friends and professional advice plus budget I wanted to spend.

Sure they will be better than the £50 ebay wheels I have been using for the last couple of years.

Exal are just about the best rims you can buy, if you can get hold of them. My Utopia Kranich came with Exal rims, which definitely build into a superior wheel, for practical purposes beyond bulletproof, maybe even everlasting, especially when used with the heavier (but ever so ugly) Sapim spokes. Unfortunately Exal seems to concentrate on OEM distribution, so that finding their rims in the correct sizes in retail stores is a pain, and often simply impossible. The Exal XL I use offer the correct internal width of 24mm to build a true 29er wheel.

jags

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2014, 07:09:03 pm »
You learn something new every day,i never heard tell of thse Exal rims
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b131s116p1565.
so now having found them there on my wish list but love a dynamo up front.
What do you reckon Andre on the build what should i be looking at .i would want 700c 36 hole but what spokes ae best and what 9 speed hub on rear ,shimano dynamo  up front ?

anto.

Andre Jute

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2014, 11:40:56 pm »
Sorry, Jags. I do touring bikes. I have no experiences of road bikes. I'm sure the Exal rims you've chosen will do you well. It is made to be uncompromised by the people who made Rigida (now Ryde) rims famous. But I have no idea about lightweight spokes; I specify the heavy end of Sapim as a reflex because I have a good history with them and they don't cost all that much more and I don't care about the weight -- I've never had a Sapim break.