Author Topic: Has anyone ever replaced the drop outs on a onld steel bike? To use sliders?  (Read 3239 times)

mrboyd

Ive got an old 531 touring frame and I'm thinking of getting a frame builder to replace the drop out with some paragon sliders, so i can set up the rohloff without a speed bone and adjust the chain tension without a springy derialleur thing..  (I will need to cold set the OLD to 135 from 126 as well).

Has anyone tried anything like this?..

Or if its not possible what frames do people recommend other than thorn?

(My daily ride is a thorn raven tour, but i want to do another, touring style bike for my wife.)

jags

aw buy her a new raven, sure it will only make your life twice as happy ;)

jags.

Andre Jute

Ive got an old 531 touring frame and I'm thinking of getting a frame builder to replace the drop out with some paragon sliders, so i can set up the rohloff without a speed bone and adjust the chain tension without a springy derialleur thing..  (I will need to cold set the OLD to 135 from 126 as well).

I didn't do it, but I investigated the possibility for protos I built a few years ago.

Spreading the rear triangle sides isn't a big deal, though 9mm is probably the limit of what you should try for DIY cold-setting; you can do it yourself if you do it carefully; instructions on Sheldon Brown's site.

Getting slider frame ends brazed or welded in depends on who you know. Getting the brazing and necessary repainting done for a reasonable price depends not only on who you know, but how near you are to them. I found that it was cheaper to buy a new frame or build the oddities that interested me in wood.

If you find someone to supply the slotted ends, they must also supply actual sliders and demonstrate that they bolt in and slide before you pay. There are lots of version around, but the sliders you want conform to Herr Rohloff's original design. Frame ends in stainless steel, or lined on the inside with stainless steel, are highly desirable.

mrboyd

Ive ended up looking at these bu they are prety expensive

http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=DS1004

Im not planning on doing amy of this myself, so would need to find someone..  And someone who could do evrything incl. respray for about £200

Perhaps its more sensible to find a rohloff specific frame? 

jags

might not be of any intrest to you but a friend of mine is selling her 2 mountain bikes brand new well there 40km on one and 100 on the other pristine condition  disc brakes .one is a trek 450euro other is a giant 400 ,
she is about 5ft 5ins really nice bikes if your interested i'll as her to email you pic's

jags.

rualexander

Bob Jackson Cycles can do the whole lot, but you're looking at £150 for the dropouts, £100  for a respray, plus £55 shipping for collect and deliver, depends where you live I guess.
http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/rohloff-hubs.php

Andre Jute

Bob Jackson Cycles can do the whole lot, but you're looking at £150 for the dropouts, £100  for a respray, plus £55 shipping for collect and deliver, depends where you live I guess.
http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/rohloff-hubs.php

Does that price include supply of the aluminum hangers, which the hub actually bolts to, and which slide in the slots Jackson will braze on? If not, that's probably another £50 for ali sliders somewhere, probably another carriage charge as well.

Bob Jackson does good quality work, so the price doesn't seem too much, especially if the hangers (the actual sliders) are included.

But this entire idea of turning an old steel bike into a Rohloff receptacle, while superficially attractive until you start getting quotes, always proves to have hidden costs. I've never heard of anyone actually saving money on this route, except maybe the guys who did a rough and ready job with an ugly torque-reactor strut, and I suspect their numeracy is about as well developed as their aesthetics.  Rohloff-ready frames, new, are penny a dozen; check Ebay.de where you'll find plenty that can be delivered to a British door for less than the cost of a fix-up job at Jacksons, given only that you're willing to accept ali rather than steel. Even a Thorn Rohloff frame needn't cost much more than the work at Jackson's will eventually add up to, if they OP is patient enough to wait for the right-size frame to come on the market.

il padrone

You could consider a Philcentric BB instead. I think they're pretty expensive (most Phil Wood stuff is) but will give you a 1/4" of adjustment. You may need to team it with the use of a half-link.

Yes, $US195, but this may be less than your frame mod cost ??

The eccentric BB approach is better than a sliding drop-out as you will not need to be altering your brake trim at the same time as you reset the chain tension.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:46:32 am by il padrone »

joesoap

That looks fabulous! Any more pics of this bike? I have a hankering to put a Rohloff on an XTC

il padrone

Don't know too much about it - I just found the photo from a Google search. Checking back it comes from a display bike at the 2011 North American Hand-built Bicycle Show - an Independent Fabrications Caffeine Racer

Not Rohloff, looks like it has an Alfine hub on it.

mrboyd

Re: Has anyone ever replaced the drop outs on a onld steel bike? To use sliders?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 06:44:25 pm »
Yes, Ive got the alloy sliders already...

But im thinking of getting another raven instead.. Theres one on ebay ending this evening!  The mod wasn't supposed to be a money saving endeavour though, i thought it was an interesting option to look into plus i already have the frame lying about..

I do like the look of that phil bottom bracket, but not the price.