Author Topic: CRANK ARM WORKING LOOSE?  (Read 11321 times)

sd

Re: CRANK ARM WORKING LOOSE?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 09:26:07 am »
ROHLOFF gears. The owner told me the bottom bracket was brand new. Basically I have minimal knowledge of bicycles parts as I prefer to support the local rural community by using there facilities. The pub in particular! I will do a little bit more tightening and if it fails I will probably move on to...not sure. It does not look like a hard job to replace just the left crank? But will the connection with the right crank be knackered?? It came with a spare new chainwheel and sprocket. The ex owner has done 20,000 km (Pakistan and back). The chainwheel and sprocket have lots of wear in them. He said he had a thing about keeping his chain etc clean. Going to the dentist in a minute 12 miles and then the pub tonight another 12 mile round trip. That may give me an indication. I suspect everything is down to the ex owner not tightening it enough??
Will email the ex owner?

sd

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 09:30:50 am »
Opps just checked an email from him:-
From uk to Turkey,Georgia,Armenia,Azerbaijan,found I couldn't get a visa for Pakistan because of troubles, so back to southern turkey. Then a boat to Egypt,Sudan,Ethiopia,Kenya,Tanzania,Malawi,Zambia,Namibia and South Africa.. Flew back with the bike and a sore wrist!
H
He has had the bones in his hand fused together so had to give up cycling.

sd

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 01:22:18 pm »
Opps I or someone else locked the topic

sd

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 01:37:27 pm »
Still loose no mater how hard I stood on Allen key. Loose from start. Dentist followed by bike shop! £35 all in new BB. Shimano  SM-BB70. The nob forgot the Locktite and I forgot to remind him. He had to do the bike in the street, as usual his shop was mess unusually though he was not busy so got done near enough immediately. Will put it in my phone to tighten every 2 weeks? Hopefully sorted. Now for beer...no a bit early for beer.
Previous owner said only 50 miles on bottom bracket. PS he does not have a torque wrench assuming that is one which gives a measure of the...tightness!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:42:41 pm by sd »

sd

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 01:45:41 pm »
  Love the Allen key fitting on the Santos for holding the eccentric in place much better than Thorns.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:53:55 pm by sd »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 02:28:37 pm »
Okay; great this is sorted and we can put this problem to rest for you.

Things should go smoothly with the crank and BB from this point forward.

Best, 

Dan.

sd

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 02:52:04 pm »
Okay; great this is sorted and we can put this problem to rest for you.

Things should go smoothly with the crank and BB from this point forward.

Best, 

Dan.

Hope so. Thanks for the help.

macspud

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 10:11:16 pm »
I thought it was the crank and integrated axle that were the problem and not the bottom bracket?
As the previous owner said the BB was pretty new, why did you have it replaced?
I think I'd of taken Andre's advice, as he said, you could have changed to a more reliable system for not a lot more money.
Anyway, I hope you're sorted now that the axle has been tightened, Time will tell.

sd

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 09:44:32 am »
I thought it was the crank and integrated axle that were the problem and not the bottom bracket?
As the previous owner said the BB was pretty new, why did you have it replaced?
I think I'd of taken Andre's advice, as he said, you could have changed to a more reliable system for not a lot more money.
Anyway, I hope you're sorted now that the axle has been tightened, Time will tell.

Your right it was new but I really no little about repairing bikes specially that area of the bike. I am beginning to think I have made mistake. Only done about 20 miles since but no movement at all. Bike mechanic may also have taken the easy way out and done first thing he thought of. He is a bit of nob at times. He once replaced my rear derailleur with a reverse one. Ie the click gear shift moved in the opposite direction. As he knew I have more than one bike he should have know it wouldn't be practical. Oh well you live an learn. There is a better mechanic in another town I will go there in future. Although as it Rohloff equipped that won't be often.

sd

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 03:02:01 pm »
Still no movement. Nice and tight but doesn't quite feel right. Like a slight movement forward on the pedal. Or could call it a click. Hope I am just imagining it. Bugger

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 04:10:25 pm »
Maybe the pedal bearings are worn or a chainring bolt and sleeve nut are slightly loose?

Best,

Dan.  (...who is hoping it is something else -- and cheap)

sd

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 04:40:32 pm »
Maybe the pedal bearings are worn or a chainring bolt and sleeve nut are slightly loose?

Best,

Dan.  (...who is hoping it is something else -- and cheap)
Pedals are new. It is left hand pedal that doesn't feel right. Would they "chainring bolt and sleeve nut are slightly loose" effect the feel of left hand side? I will check if chain ring bolt is a loose.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 05:30:02 pm »
Could be felt by either/both pedals, JB. Easy fix if that is it.

Hoping!

Best,

Dan.

sd

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 07:00:46 pm »
Where is or what is sleeve but? Sorry but never really been into cycle maintance/repair!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 07:58:39 pm »
JB, the bolts that secure the chainring have a matching half on the inside face. It looks like a cylinder with an annular ring. That is the sleeve nut -- the thing the chainring bolt threads into.  :)

It will have a little notch on each inside face to hold it so it won't turn as you tighten the bolt. Some people have success using a thin, flat bladed screwdriver, but I've always used a sleeve nut holder for this purpose.

Sometimes,  people can get the job done by just tightening the chainring bolts using an Allen key and depending on compression/friction to hold the sleeve nut from turning.

Me? I'm fussy and like all the slots in the sleeve  nuts on the back side of the chainring to line up perpendicular to the axis. Details count!  :D

Best,

Dan.