Author Topic: Why cut the steerer tube?  (Read 11056 times)

Andre Jute

Re: Why cut the steerer tube?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 10:00:19 PM »
If I were to cut the steerer I'd need a stem with a steeper angle to get the bars at the same height.  But then they'd be too close.  So I'd need a longer stem.

Or you'd needa frame several sizes up which might not have the stand-over, and certainly won't be as nippy as your present setup looks, very sporting for a heavy touring bike.

tyreon

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 08:00:10 PM »
To look right?

But fashions change.

When I collected my Thorn I wanted the steerer tube left long. Yeh,I had some cut. But I have an arthritic condition in my neck and thoracic spine which inhibits my former lower riding position. Am also older than I was 10/20 years ago. And who when 50/60+ rides as they did when 25,on the drops. Those days are long gone for me. Now,I actually like to see some stem protruding from my bars;it gives me the option and reassurance that I can notch up another bit,make cycling comfort better,allow me to look over the bush. I even like the look. Read somewhere where the look of aheadset was seen as ungainly,now,you look-see at a quill stem and that looks spindly++

Not convinced it could prevent injury given an accident. Guess you could do better wearing a breast plate protector or some knee pads. Or wotsabout an anti-collar bone breakage contraption?

mickeg

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 10:20:28 PM »
... Am also older than I was 10/20 years ago. And who when 50/60+ rides as they did when 25,on the drops. Those days are long gone for me. ...

I actually use the drops more now than I did years ago.  And I also lowered my stem on a couple bikes by 10 or 20mm a couple of years ago.

Why the difference?  I used to weigh 205 to 210 pounds.  Now weigh 170 to 175.  It is amazing how much easier it is to use the drops when your legs are not bumping into your beer belly.

But, I think I am the exception, not the rule.  Most people will raise the stem over time, not lower it like I did.