Author Topic: Offered: Reelight SL550 rear light, steady light but no stand-light, P&P only  (Read 5503 times)

IanW

Hi

I bought a Reelight SL550 (rear, steady, no standlight) to try back in 2012 and posted a review of sorts here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=804.15

At the time I decided that, while they did work tolerably well, they did not work well *enough* for me,
so I took them off the bike and replaced them with a B&M Toplight Line Plus (+ wire  from front light).

So I am now looking to give them away to another good home / give them away to some other experimenter.

Please note that I have slightly modified the original mount slightly, but I think this is entirely reversible with a small bit of work with a craft-knife

All I am looking for in terms of cost is the P&P costs (which probably means postage within mainland UK)

So after my rather less than promising "sales pitch", is anyone at all interested?

macspud

I would quite like a wee experiment.
How much would the postage be?
Best,
Iain.

IanW

Well if my reading of Post Office website is correct
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/Small-Parcels/?campaignid=PPC_MLS&tmad=c&tmcampid=359&tmplaceref=Parcel_Offers_-_Brand_-_Phrase&tmclickref=post_office_parcel
450grams 25cms x 17cms x <8cms = "Small Parcel (Wide) = £3.20 for 1st class and £2.80 for 2nd class.
PM me with address details if you are interested.

jags

ian whats the story with that light have you a photo of it attached to wheel and bike.
Anto.

David Simpson

Hi anto --

There are good photos on the ReeLight website: http://reelight.com

One magnet attaches to the frame or fork, and the other to the spokes.  One each revolution of the wheel, the magnets pass and they generate a bit of electrical current which causes the light to flash.  The faster you ride, the faster they flash.  (It's the same principle as the magnetic sensor for bike computers.)

- Dave

jags

Thanks Dave i'll pop over to that site take a quick look.

anto.

jags

look's good to me. ;)

macspud

Well if my reading of Post Office website is correct
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/Small-Parcels/?campaignid=PPC_MLS&tmad=c&tmcampid=359&tmplaceref=Parcel_Offers_-_Brand_-_Phrase&tmclickref=post_office_parcel
450grams 25cms x 17cms x <8cms = "Small Parcel (Wide) = £3.20 for 1st class and £2.80 for 2nd class.
PM me with address details if you are interested.

PM sent.

jags

macspud  post a few photos of your set up when you have it connected.(please)

jags.

sd

The faster you ride, the faster they flash.  (It's the same principle as the magnetic sensor for bike computers.)

- Dave

No good for me!

ajbenie

Actually the sapped of flashing is pretty much independent of how fast you ride on the flashing models. If i remember correctly they flash 120 times a minute ( Danish legal requirement for flashing lights).

This model is for the steady -> read no flashing. I have one on my city bike and it gives a constant light once the capacitor is charge which takes about 50m if it was completely discharged ( after a couple of weeks of disuse).
Reelights make a great alternative for rear lights on any bike. The newer models are quite could for front lights when in town with some street lighting. If your out of town and needs lots of light then you need a real dynamo, but for every town I've lived in ( in the UK, Germany and now Denmark) then they are an ideal option for a city bike.

David Simpson

Actually the sapped of flashing is pretty much independent of how fast you ride on the flashing models. If i remember correctly they flash 120 times a minute ( Danish legal requirement for flashing lights).

This model is for the steady -> read no flashing. I have one on my city bike and it gives a constant light once the capacitor is charge which takes about 50m if it was completely discharged ( after a couple of weeks of disuse).

I stand corrected.  I didn't realize that it had a capacitor.  That makes it much more useful.

- Dave

ajbenie

The only problem is that on this model it is big enough to provide a stand light function, previously this was only available for the flashing models. The current line up includes steady lights with stand light - cost quite a bit more though. My wife has the 700 series and the front light is surprisingly bright. If your on normal roads then it might even be good enough for out of town use. Depends a bit on how fast you go ;)

sd

Gone? Just broke another light. Rural so I don't think I can have to many lights!

macspud

Re: Offered: Reelight SL550 rear light, steady light but no stand-light, P&P only
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 08:23:26 pm »
macspud  post a few photos of your set up when you have it connected.(please)

jags.

Hi Jags,
Sorry, somehow I missed your post.
I will take a photo or two next time it stops raining. I've been using the light this past few weeks and it seems to do the job well, I've not seen it lit myself as it needs to be in motion for it to work, cars seem to be giving me a wide berth at night, I'm guessing that it works quite well.  ;)

I'm afraid that the photos will be of it installed on something other than a Thorn (a cheap, old, used, Specialized Rockhopper) as I am still collecting all the bits & pieces needed for my Catalyst build.

Iain.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:48:14 pm by macspud »