Author Topic: SKS mudguards for audax MK3  (Read 11470 times)

jags

Re: SKS mudguards for audax MK3
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 04:48:32 pm »
amazing how things turn out.. ::)

njb

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 10:14:33 pm »
Hi,
I emailed and SJSC and was advised to call.
So I spoke to Steve in Thorn, he went and offered up an A319 rim to an audax frame.
The A319s will not fit, so I guess they will remain with the hybrid.
He too recommended a mavic open sport or open pro rim, 28 mm tyres and 35 mm SKS.

Niall

jags

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 11:02:16 pm »
i have 319  with ribmo 28 tyres on my audax  :o
i use them when i use panniers. at the moment i 'm using mavic sups with  vittoria open corse 700x23
the mudguards are sks 35mm work perfect with both sets of wheels thats a fact. ;)

jags.

njb

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 11:03:48 am »
i have 319  with ribmo 28 tyres on my audax  :o
i use them when i use panniers. at the moment i 'm using mavic sups with  vittoria open corse 700x23
the mudguards are sks 35mm work perfect with both sets of wheels thats a fact. ;)

jags.

Cheers Jags, I looked at the images of your audax, its red and blue, is it one of the older 853 audax frames ?
Niall

jags

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 04:39:37 pm »
yip but can't imagine the spec is that much different.
john (LEFTPOOLE) will know for certain .

jags.

leftpoole

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 07:36:09 pm »
yip but can't imagine the spec is that much different.
john (LEFTPOOLE) will know for certain .

jags.

We'll all I can say is that I've fitted the same too both the older 853 and the MK 3
John
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:55:05 am by leftpoole »

njb

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 07:44:13 pm »
@jags & john , I will try and do the same, probably early next week by the time all the kit is in the one place.

Niall

jags

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 08:31:51 pm »
should be fine Niall ;)

jags.

njb

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 04:05:24 pm »
An update,
The Frame was ordered with panaracer rimbo 28s and the SKS 35 mm guards.
All parts are now together.
My LBS had the rear A319 wheel built but not the front, so I asked him to hold off building the front.
He will do the build during the week.
When I went in, there was the Thorn box on the shop floor, amongst all the Treks and Giants.
Methinks wintertime might have been a quieter time of year to build a bike.
Niall

jags

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 04:27:28 pm »
so did the rear wheel fit i'm dead curious ;)
good wheel the 319 i bought mine from wiggle there were on sale at £110 i think  hand finished mind you there was and still is a funny kinda squeel coming from the rear wheel, but i must have a 1000 miles on them not a bother still going strong.

best of luck with the new baby keep her well fed oiled and watered and it will only be  CLASS.

jags.

njb

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 11:26:38 pm »
LBS is busy with all that shiny 6061 Al that arrived yesterday. I take it those bikes are just flat-packed and the retailer has to do relatively little to them to get them ready for the customer?

We also had a big triathlon today in the south of the county. So there was no fitting or offering up of the A319s to thorns done, twas all about race tuning of stealth carbon yesterday.

However I did drop in today and speak with the guy who'll be assembling it. He's a downhill MTB'er, steel hardtails from the 90s are what ring his bell.
We kit fondled the frame for a while, that polyester gunmetal looks good, hope it wears well. Not sure what to do about the downtube bosses, the cable outer sleeves mount on those do they not ?

When I picked it up and felt the frame weight and the tube size, there was a little fretting on my behalf, I am 90Kgs these days.
I read somewhere on this forum an email from Thorn steering some hefty rider towards the club tour rather than the audax.
I rationalised the fear by reminding myself I'll only have 5Kgs at most on the panniers.

Re-assurance welcome feck it, it'll be grand.

Andre Jute

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 02:09:51 am »
Re-assurance welcome feck it, it'll be grand.

It was an Irish actress who first whispered to me the secret of success, "It'll be all right on the night."

njb

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 07:28:25 pm »
Hi,
Quick update, went in to the LBS on Saturday.
The bike was up on the stand being assembled, looks good in the flesh perhaps the Irish actress was right.
The bike mechanic and LBS owner said it was going to be a nice bike and was impressed by the build quality.
They are not alone, there has interest amongst some other customers.
Apparently the steerer tube is the longest they've seen, so they'll cut it twice, I'm to tell them where to make the second cut after I've ridden it for a while or gone to the fitter.
There was some discussion on record delta brakes, the BR450s look good.

@jags, the rear A319 wheel, did indeed fit :), spun well, mudgard will clear with the panaracer 28s.
Collecting tomorrow, I hope, short test spin tomorrow night.

Niall

jags

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 07:32:46 pm »
there ya go those boys at sjs no sod all  ;D ;D ;D

joking joking ::)

jags.