Author Topic: Maintenance of Mini eccentric  (Read 2086 times)

Domhope

Maintenance of Mini eccentric
« on: May 19, 2014, 10:27:07 am »
I'm servicing the mini-eccentric on my Mercury - it had become impossible to turn even when all retaining bolts were completely released. I used the tip on the Thorn PDF page to free it up  ;) - but now I want to know how I should lube the eccentric when I reinsert it into the the frame.

It doesn't look as if it was heavily lubed before - question is if I grease it will it stop it working properly? (i.e. will it still be held firmly in place when I tighten the 4 retaining bolts?)

Thanks in advance - Dom

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
Re: Maintenance of Mini eccentric
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:12:52 pm »
Grease doesn't help much, its best to use copper anti-seize. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/icetoolz-icetoolz-copper-slip-grease-120-ml-bottle-prod32548/

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 07:43:19 pm »
Domhope, or Dave;

I tried to adjust the mini eccentric and mine didn't seem to want to budge, what is "the tip on the Thorn PDF page to free it up"?

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 03:31:28 pm »
The document with the tip is ThornLivingWithARohloff.pdf. The tip involves using coins to gently ease the bottom bracket apart, increase the diameter of the bracket by a fraction,  to let the mini eccentric move more easily. There are pictures in the pdf which make it easy to follow.

Thank you sir, a pleasure to talk,

Rory