Author Topic: Raising the bar  (Read 2252 times)

Matt2matt2002

Raising the bar
« on: March 24, 2014, 06:45:30 pm »
Decided to change the angle of my butterfly bars. Moved them slightly more vertical.
Hopefully give me another useful position.

I had to adjust the bar bag holder - no probs.
Then adjusted the brake levers - no probs.

But then found one of the cables from the twist grip was rubbing against the right brake lever.

Here is the new position of the bars

And another

Here you can see the cable rubbing the brake lever

And another

I tried to turn the twist grip by loosening x2 small Allen sockets recessed into the grip- but this didn't loosen anything.

I am reluctant to tweak anything else in case it upsets the changing mech.

Any ideas folks?
Thanks
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Raising the bar
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 06:49:36 pm »
Hi Matt!

Loosening the two allen-head bolts in the shifter clamp should have loosened it enough to rotate easily. I'd suggest another go.

Or...you could try rotating the brake lever slightly.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:58:45 pm »
you could try rotating the brake lever slightly

That would be my quick reaction, Matt -- assume that there was no problem with brake/shifter cable interference when the bars were in their previous position?

phopwood

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:03:36 pm »
As dan says try loosening the shifter and rotating it again, I think it is jammed between the grip and the where the bar gets thicker for the clamp.

Just out off interest do those bars come apart on some way to allow the shifter to get to that point on the bars.

What make are they, they look very comfy.

Peter

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 07:42:54 pm »
As dan says try loosening the shifter and rotating it again, I think it is jammed between the grip and the where the bar gets thicker for the clamp.

Just out off interest do those bars come apart on some way to allow the shifter to get to that point on the bars.

Peter

Thanks folks.
They are Humpert. Came with the bike - second hand from Andy.
Best bike buy of my life ( Raven )

There are a set on UK Ebay for £24.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humpert-Contest-Comfort-Trekking-Butterfly-Bars-Ergotec-Handlebars-/111203362528?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=410231434474&hash=item19e43ca6e0

I did rotate the brake lever but it is still very near the cable.
Before moving the bars there was no issue with the cable positions.

So- I will give those x2 wee allen sockets another go. I had loosened then quite a lot - so will give the twist grip a firmer shove.

I had visions off the whole thing springing apart!

Matt

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:21:37 pm »
I had visions off the whole thing springing apart!
At worst, the clamp half and the screws will come off, so perhaps best done over a rug or in a confined space to minimize Search And Rescue efforts After.

Best,

Dan.

julk

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:49:59 am »

Peter

I had a pair of Humpert bars like those pictured. The ends were available in various shapes to suit your preference.
The ends should come off, they are held in by clamps like the old stems had with an offset sliding plug and a long bolt from the end.
The bolts are accessed from the end of the straight sections and look to be hidden now under new full length handlebar grip.
Originally the grips were split and the bolt end covered by a removable plastic plug to allow access.

I hope this helps.
julk
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:52:08 am by julk »

phopwood

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 10:21:28 am »
Thanks that does indeed help, I had looked at these some time ago

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-ahs-premium-handlebars-c-w-comfort-bar-ends-254mm-clamp-prod24407/

they look great and very adjustable.  But I ended up getting standard butterfly bars, which the jury is still out on. I tend to get tingly hands so looking for the perfect solution is a long road.

All the best.

Peter

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 02:39:11 pm »
When my Nomad arrived some years ago by now, it took a while to tweak things to the right position. I recall rotating the brake levers to where I like them, and then rotating the shifter so the cables cleared the levers neatly. The shifter assembly is quite simple - no springs in there or anything, given it's a dual cable push-pull thing with the indexing back at the hub. Yeah you don't want to lose those little screws but other than that there shouldn't be any nasty surprises lurking in the shadows.

Andybg

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:42:06 am »
Any update on the shifter Matt? There is the risk that I overtightened the clamp and "bedded" the shifter into place but either loosening the screws or at worst taking them out completely should let you fix it. Very pleased to see the bike getting used so much

Andy