Author Topic: my new baby.  (Read 27810 times)

Relayer

Re: my new baby.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 08:04:32 am »
Happy days jags, that's one helluva frame you've got there, may you enjoy many many miles and adventures on it.

Jim

leftpoole

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 08:28:22 am »
Anto,
I hope you enjoy!
All the best,
John.........

alfie1952

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 09:01:39 am »
Jags, your happiness is infectious, it's got everyone on this forum smiling.

Best wishes,

Regards,Alfie
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:14:59 am by alfie1952 »

jags

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 10:29:24 am »
Thanks lads, ah we have a great bunch of lads on the forum  each and everyone only to willing to help out each other great place  for a chat and a coffee. ;)

im not gonna rush into the build i still need bits and pieces but i dont mind waiting,as long as i have it on the road by May i'll be happy enough.Think my campag reckord brakes will be staying on the Raleigh might go for a new pair of shimano  105 or ultegra.i also have to buy new drop bars and stem plus bartape also new barbag.and too bottle cages .i will get my son in law to make me a nice stainless bracket for my battery lights can afford a new front dynamo wheel maybe next year.
have to figure out a way to mount the satnav centre of stem,if i could sus out a flat top stem the fitting would mount no problem.
anyway lads thanks for all the good wishes really appreciate  it keep cycling kep safe.

jags
 (ANTO)

leftpoole

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 11:23:35 am »
Thanks lads, ah we have a great bunch of lads on the forum  each and everyone only to willing to help out each other great place  for a chat and a coffee. ;)

im not gonna rush into the build i still need bits and pieces but i dont mind waiting,as long as i have it on the road by May i'll be happy enough.Think my campag reckord brakes will be staying on the Raleigh might go for a new pair of shimano  105 or ultegra.i also have to buy new drop bars and stem plus bartape also new barbag.and too bottle cages .i will get my son in law to make me a nice stainless bracket for my battery lights can afford a new front dynamo wheel maybe next year.
have to figure out a way to mount the satnav centre of stem,if i could sus out a flat top stem the fitting would mount no problem.
anyway lads thanks for all the good wishes really appreciate  it keep cycling kep safe.

jags
 (ANTO)
Anto,
You need deep drop brakes too!
John

jags

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 11:41:16 am »
What model is best john just been looking a shimano 105 on chainreaction.
maybe i should buy new brake leavers as well,i have sti campag on the raleigh use them just for brakes bit of a waste besides they belong to my son  ::).so what brake calibers should i go for and break leavers to matck.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:43:40 am by jags »

leftpoole

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 12:07:40 pm »
What model is best john just been looking a shimano 105 on chainreaction.
maybe i should buy new brake leavers as well,i have sti campag on the raleigh use them just for brakes bit of a waste besides they belong to my son  ::).so what brake calibers should i go for and break leavers to matck.

Hi Anto,
If you look on SJSC website you need 57mm drop I think. I am certain that 'Honesty' on here or someone can advise.
Im laid up today (sorry).
John

jags

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 12:12:21 pm »
ah no worries john get better soon,feet up watch a good movie.

jags

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 12:39:56 pm »
woo hoo look what i found.
http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/tested-thorn-audax-853.html

i was searching for what brakes i should get they have ultegra rxd 100 on that beauti.cant afford ultegra so what else do.

Relayer

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 01:03:35 pm »
Hi Anto,
If you look on SJSC website you need 57mm drop I think. I am certain that 'Honesty' on here or someone can advise.
Im laid up today (sorry).
John

Anto

John is right, you need 57 mm [deep] drop brakes for this.

Options are Shimano R451 (Tiagra type) or R650 (Ultegra).  Tektro do deep drop brakes too, but they get bad reviews ... mine certainly had crappy brake pads which I had to replace asap.

I would go for the Shimano R650.

Jim

honesty

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 01:16:36 pm »
I have the R650 brakes. They are very good, especially with koolstop salmon pads. Be aware that if you are using them with newer STI levers (10 speed upwards) they are not as effective as if using with 9 speed. I believe this is because of different cable pulls. The R450's are basically the same brakes but with plastic bits for some areas where the 650s have metal. Off the top of my head the trim lever is the most obvious. Other than that TRP have recently bought out some very nice looking standard drop brakes (57mm is standard, 39mm is short, even though they're called standard and deep by people now ;)) which look very nice and work with 10 speed stuff better.

jags

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 01:31:51 pm »
excellent lads thanks for that.unfortunately i can't buy yet but i need to get a shopping list together.
Brake callipers /sorted (Well when i have the dosh)
Break leavers to suit above/?
Shallow drop bars size 44cm/to buy
Stem to match 90mm/to buy
2Bottle cages/to buy.

jeez theres no end to this so much for swapping everything over from the Raleigh.
pity SJS cycles don't do credit. ;D ;D

Neil Jones

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 03:53:13 pm »
I knew the Audax was for you Jags, it looks stunning, bet you're chuffed to bits? Can't wait to see the build updates and the finished article,
Neil.

jags

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 04:15:16 pm »
Sure am Neil but you'll have to wait another while ::)

think i'm gonna have to try and sell my guitar again to get this baby on the road.

phopwood

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 05:07:47 pm »
Jags,

That will make a well cool bike.  I am very pleased for you.

Peter