Author Topic: Rides 2014 -- add yours  (Read 101343 times)

Slammin Sammy

Re: Rides 2014 -- add yours
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 12:11:09 pm »
What a difference a day makes. Sunshine after the rain... <snip> These are a few photos from my 30mile trip around Taunton in Somerset today.

Fantastic, and thanks for sharing these. It brought me back to our visit there in September - it was just as sunny and a lot WARMER!  :D

It also reminded me I need to get my finger out and continue the photo journal I started. My sister flies back to NYC on Wednesday, and things will finally return to normal around here. I'll get stuck in this weekend!

Sam

jags

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 01:09:36 pm »
Thanks Dan not great photos, must buy a camera some day.

Chris M

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 06:59:29 pm »
I'm really enjoying this thread, some great shots of open countryside, big skies and the solitude to be had.

Andre Jute

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 07:49:37 pm »
Rode out after dark. 10C, but 6.09pm is in the rush hour, so I popped into a car park I know which could have been designed to ride intervals in and rode intervals for an hour. Intermittent light rain but I was bone dry when I came home. Got my hear rate up two notches for 58m, which is outstanding as in my gym I have a hard time getting it up even one notch on the machines for long enough to do any good. In fact, at one stage I was perspiring, which is also great (for me -- you fit guys shouldn't sweat but I'm recovering from a couple of heart surgeries and controlled exertion right up to the point of perspiration is good for me).

Noticed again how poor the BUMM IQ lamps are on the wet, and made worse for their their distracting hotspots. Thinking also how smoothly my Rohloff now changes -- by comparison to when it was new 7000km ago; it will never be as smooth as a Shimano Nexus or Alfine shift. Of course, it was first time in a long while that I noticed it, and I was thinking about it only because of something I read here, so that tells the real story; we can be over finicky precisely because we're enthusiasts.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 03:02:01 am »
Hi All!

After some cold weather here late last year (-23°C/-10°F), today was lovely, sunny, and pretty warm at 11°C/51°F, so I went out for a long ride on the Nomad. 

Except for losing a glove in the river, it was an unremarkable ride, so I found myself looking for something to make it "interesting". On the return home, I stopped to make a phone call and snapped a photo of fir copse and thought I'd post it for the benefit of our Australian members.

At one time, Cougar Country was located in those trees; it was a wildlife rehabilitation center for Big Cats, mostly cougars (mountain lions) but also bobcats, raccoons and opossums. One day in 1986, I dropped by just before it closed for the day and was greeted with an apology by Terri Raines, a local woman who would become the wife of Australia Zoo owner and naturalist Steve Irwin. She grew up here and lived in the area for many years. Wikipedia entry on her here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Irwin

Sometimes to add variety to a routine ride, I'll try to make a theme. Sometimes, I count birds, collect covered bridges, or look for the homes or birthplaces of prominent people, actors, authors and such: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Oregon . It beats just plowing along in between intervals!

Do any of you do "theme rides" to keep things fresh while just out training for fitness?

Good day, good ride, glad to be back on the bike. The cold returns next week, so likely less pleasant with snow next weekend and forecast for the entire last week of February. Winter's not yet finished with Oregon.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 06:35:49 am »
At one time, Cougar Country was located in those trees; it was a wildlife rehabilitation center for Big Cats, mostly cougars (mountain lions) but also bobcats, raccoons and opossums. One day in 1986, I dropped by just before it closed for the day and was greeted with an apology by Terri Raines, a local woman who would become the wife of Australia Zoo owner and naturalist Steve Irwin. She grew up here and lived in the area for many years. Wikipedia entry on her here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Irwin

They say you can get connected to anyone in the world with fewer than ten phone calls...

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 12:11:45 am »
A bit of warmer weather passing through; managed to grab the opportunity today!

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/353372995

John Saxby

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 12:56:20 am »
Looks like spring, Jim, minus the sunshine!  I was in the hills on Friday, -1 and some splendid sun.  Woke up today to 20 cms of snow overnight--perfect for skiing, not so good for cycling.

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 10:17:23 am »

Do any of you do "theme rides" to keep things fresh while just out training for fitness?

Our club 'Cycle Somerset' do regular themed rides throughout the sunmmer months
example here............
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/29749467_nhWwkh

Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

Andre Jute

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 11:19:40 pm »
Our club 'Cycle Somerset' do regular themed rides throughout the sunmmer months
example here............
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/29749467_nhWwkh

Catch it while you can. What idyllic pics.

Andre Jute

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 11:23:38 pm »

DEFIANCE

Wind a steady 53kph here today, except when gusting higher. The huge eucalyptus outside my study window is lashing dangerously and has already taken out the satellite aerial.

Of course you can't bicycle in such weather but I took my bike out to show it the wind and the rain and wheeled it in a circle about me before bringing it back into the central heating and drying it off. Doesn't count as a ride but it gives notice of future intention.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 11:44:04 pm »
Of course you can't bicycle in such weather but I took my bike out to show it the wind and the rain and wheeled it in a circle about me before bringing it back into the central heating and drying it off. Doesn't count as a ride but it gives notice of future intention.
<nods> Very good, Andre. Best to introduce it to such things in smallish doses before subjecting it to the Real Heavy stuff.

I understand wolverines do the same, introducing their young to the Hunt in stages.

Best,

Dan. (...whose money is always on the man from West Cork in any sort of fight be it man, beast, or weather)

jags

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 11:06:55 am »
well done andre a man after me own heart. ;D ;D

julk

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 11:42:45 am »

I bet the bike was wagging its mudguards in excitement at the prospect...

jags

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 12:11:42 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D