Author Topic: Touring with the wind always behind you  (Read 3357 times)

Andre Jute

Touring with the wind always behind you
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:01:59 pm »
The dream of circumnavigating the world or even touring locally with the wind always behind you has just become easier with this tool. Get it down to wherever you are by panning the globe and zooming.
http://earth.nullschool.net/

mickeg

Re: Touring with the wind always behind you
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 04:09:34 pm »
How do you zoom?

Another site but only for USA.
http://hint.fm/wind/

energyman

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:14:29 pm »
Definately not a day to wear a toupee north of Dallas......

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 05:44:55 pm »
How do you zoom?

On a Mac desktop you double-click on the spot you want be the centre of the enlargement. On a Windows PC, try right-clicking on the spot. On an iOS tablet/phone you double-tap the spot you want to centre. Panning is achieved by tap/click/hold/drag.

phopwood

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 02:00:13 pm »
That site is brilliant, my wife who is in to the weather just got very excited.  If you click on the earth icon you can do all sorts of clever things.  Updated every 3 hours, not sure how much data the main computer is processing but I would imagine a lot of data points.

All the best.

Peter

onebikeoneworld

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 02:19:26 am »
I've been looking for something like this forever, thank you so much! I've had headwinds nearly every day for the last 3 months, good times. Looking at that, they'll last another month or two. (Venezuela to Rio along the coast)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »
This is spooky.
I just turned the world upside down!
Let me get back home and off my phone and onto the PC so I can see things big time.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 02:51:19 pm »
Splendid visuals, Andre -- thanks!  I seem to be forever running into unknown corollaries of Sod's Law, however, so that I have a recurring problem with the content of the visuals, not the style: that is, fierce headwinds where there should be tailwinds.  This past July/August, I battled the usual insanely strong head- and crosswinds in the alto plano & high deserts of the western US as I rode west to northern California.  Consoled myself with the certainty that going the other way, they'd help me as I would leave the Rockies in Alberta with a nice 60 km/h tailwind, which Everyone Knows is standard operating procedure in those parts.

Sod, however, had other ideas, and his Law ensured that the tailwind morphed into a 60+ km/h easterly, which eased about 1800 kms later, after I had crossed the prairies & reached central Manitoba. 

I used to ride my bike when I worked in downtown Ottawa for a few years.  In the morning, the default wind was a moderate easterly, so I rode alongside the river with a fresh morning breeze to welcome me.  By the end of the day, esp in the summer, the heat had built up, and there was usually a stiff westerly...

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:04:34 pm »
I were you, John, I'd check my ancestry. It sound's like a whole bunch of Murphys slipped in there.

Be careful how you tilt that globe, Matt. You don't want to fall off.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 04:47:42 pm »
I were you, John, I'd check my ancestry. It sound's like a whole bunch of Murphys slipped in there.

Be careful how you tilt that globe, Matt. You don't want to fall off.

'Stop the world, I want to get off.'
Who said that?

This will help me plan my long delayed trip.
Mrs. Matt is coming around to agreeing to let me off the leash.
But as Al Swearengen said,
“Announcing your plans is a good way to hear God laugh.”
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 03:16:52 am »
The Stone Roses, but I think they stole it from somewhere else??

Wow! I'll be having a look at this when the wind blows the internet signal the right way :)

When I cycled through the desert in Iran it was the first time I had experienced a strong headwind without anyway of "seeing" it. It really freaked me out that I was in bottom gear on the flat!!!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy