Author Topic: Your recommendations for best noise-cancelling earbuds for air travel  (Read 5295 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Your recommendations for best noise-cancelling earbuds for air travel
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 04:22:02 am »
Firsthand followup report and call for suggestions...

Oh goodness; early results from my testing of the Audio Technica ATH-ANC23 active noise-cancelling earbuds that arrived in today's mail are not encouraging for my use.

I realize this is a product category that depends greatly on achieving a good seal between the earbud cushion and the ear canal, and this is something I just can't seem to accomplish, despite having no problem with conventional audio earbuds, which seem to attenuate more ambient noise than these. I tried the three sizes of included rubber tips as well as the fourth included option, a pair of conforming "Comply" dense foam tips. I got the best isolation with those, but even normal conversation came through unmuffled, so I have to conclude at this point we (the earbuds and I) are not a good "fit".

Apart from the poor fit, they also fail to work as I had hoped;perhaps my expectations were a bit off.

Standing next to each of my noisy bathroom exhaust fans and next to my running refrigerator, turning the AudioTechnica's control switch on and off did reduce the background noise to a small degree -- while boosting the noise from my MP3 player, which I prefer to listen to quietly and -- ah! -- there's the rub. It seems the effectiveness of the Audio-Technica depends not just on good sealing (for noise isolation, which I was never able to achieve to my satisfaction), but *also* on the volume of the intended audio source, as the amount of background noise attenuation is directly dependent on the volume. When I listen at low volume, the noise cancellation just isn't as effective.

Thinking about it, this might be a common problem with noise cancellation, as you'd almost have to have a source volume close to that of the ambient noise you'd like to mask; otherwise, the out-of-phase signals wouldn't be loud enough to do much to attenuate ambient noise. It is a pity there aren't two volume controls, one for preferred source audio (i.e. MP3 player or in-flight movie) and a second one for the out-of-phase signal to cancel the ambient noise.

For those who have noise-cancelling earbuds or headsets, do they work like this? It sounds much different than Waser's experience with his Sennheisers.

I'd hoped to use these to listen quietly to the in-flight movies on a series of long international flights for a tour, but instead it seems I would be trading one noise for another and listening to the in-flight movie much louder than intended or preferred. Ah, me; I'll be putting these up on eBay and swallowing the loss if I can't find  way to make them work for me. After using them just a short while, my ears feel as fatigued as if they had been exposed to the sounds of a long flight.

Others who tried mine had the same experience. I followed the troubleshooting guide in the instructions: Checked the fit of the earpieces, cycled the power switch, and changed to several fresh batteries. The core problem seems to go back to a poor fit at the earbuds with inadequate sound isolation as a result.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have to get these to work for me; they seemed just the thing for flights as well as noisy hotel room air-conditioners, loud rumbling trains, camping near the all-night-running generators of motorhomes and carvans in commercial campgrounds and the myriad Civilized Night Noises one endures until they can get out properly on the road for a tour.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:25:24 am by Danneaux »

mickeg

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 01:26:37 pm »
I expect to be in a Jeep Wrangler for about 3,500 miles in April.  Almost all of that time I will be a passenger.  I am not looking forward to a very noisy ride for something like 60 hours.  I have spent several hours of time on the internet researching noise canceling over-the-ear headphones. 

I have concluded from the comments left by purchasers of a wide variety of them that I will probably not be happy unless I buy the $300 USD ones from Bose.  If anyone has any other recommendations on what to buy based on first hand experience, please let me know.  I am firm in wanting over-the-ear style.

energyman

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 05:24:13 pm »
I've had a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort ® Acoustic Noise Cancelling ® headphonesfor years and are magic.
Just remember to carry a spare battery......
My assistant recommended the Sennheiser versions as being much better.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:27:24 pm by energyman »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 08:47:01 pm »
Hi mickeg!

On my last long international flight, a seatmate had an interesting approach I may try myself. He brought his earbuds and a pair of cheap but effective Harbor Freight cup-type over-ear hearing protectors. He said those blocked a lot of the ambient noise, making it possible to play his earbuds are much lower volume.

For such a long car (Jeep) trip, it might be worth it to just use earplugs, noise-reducing ear cups, or both for part of the trip, but I can't see it working very well from a social standpoint -- people want to chat, and it would be a long time to just sit there.

Hoping I'll also find a solution that works for less than USD$300....

My ears don't feel "right" after yesterday's experiments, but I've brought in the Dyson and will see how the noise-cancelling works with that.

Best,

Dan. (...who is beginning to understand the real meaning of the phrase "tin ear").

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 09:02:54 pm »
Update: I have found these noise-cancelling earbuds do produce a counter-phase sound even without a sound source, but it isn't very effective or noticeable due to poor sealing between the earbuds and my ear canals. The volume control doesn't control the amount of sound damping, but does modulate the volume of whatever source you've plugged it into.

Mickeg, I do think over-ear units would eliminate that problem and thus be more effective. Even so, you'd want a good seal 'round your ears to make them effective. The Bose ones do look very good in that regard.

For some reason, my ears feel really fatigued after using these things even briefly, so keep that in mind as a possible drawback.

Ah, well.

Best,

Dan. (...who may just be one of "those people" for whom these things don't work very well)

mickeg

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 02:19:03 am »
I have a couple of over the ear hearing protectors I use with things like my shop vac.  (Am now retired, did not count the ones that clip onto a hardhat as I might never have to wear a hard hat again.)

On planes I often use the foam in-ear hearing protectors, might just use those for the Jeep trip.

I spent several hours in various airports last month, it had not occurred to me to check out the various options in the airport stores at that time.  I think I will wander thru the nearest shopping mall this coming week to see what is offered so I can try out whatever I would eventually buy.

Being retired, I only fly for personal trips, which means rarely.  So, the primary use would be the Jeep trip, not future flights.  But $300 USD for ones like the Bose QC15 or Sennheiser PXC 450 spread over 60 hours would be only $5 per hour, have to figure out if that would be worth it.

mickeg

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 12:04:54 pm »
A quick update on my noise canceling headphone search.  I specifically wanted over the ear headphones.  I anticipate spending 60 hours in a noisy Jeep in March and April, most of that time as a passenger, that is the primary reason for wanting them but I also fly a couple times a year.

I bought a pair of new (in box) folding Able Planet XNC230 Extreme noise canceling over the ear headphones on ebay for $35 USD with shipping.  There must be a huge markup on these, suggested retail is $109 USD.

Reviews I read on the internet suggested that it has a very weak hinge joint in the center that easily breaks.  And some reviews indicated that Able Planet was not very responsive to warranty claims.  But, few reviews complained of poor noise canceling ability, so that suggested to me that most people were happy with the noise canceling.

I tried them at the health club where they have several treadmills, elliptical trainers, stationary bikes, and nearby Racquetball Courts.  The headphones cut out almost all of the low frequency rumble of the exercise equipment.  They were less effective at cutting out the background voices and the sound of Racquetball impacts.  But I felt that the sound reduction was good enough for the price that I paid, so I can report that I am quite happy with them.  If the Jeep and airplane noise frequencies are similar to the exercise equipment, I will probably be very happy with them for traveling.

Audio quality?  When I am wearing headphones I usually am listening to the news or television.  I am not a perfectionist when it comes to music.  All I can say is that I think they are just fine for audio quality, but I am a poor judge of that.  The headphones work when the noise canceling is shut off, that apparently is not the case with some others.

So, I bought them considering that I could buy about 8 of these for the same cost of one pair of Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones.  I filed down a bit of the plastic on the folding latching mechanism that apparently is part of the reason for breakage, so that there will be less stress on the joint when I fold that mechanism, hopefully they will be less likely to break.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:55:52 pm by mickeg »