Author Topic: SOS: B&M LED Front Lights failing - (and now a Buchel) - Shimano Dyno Hub  (Read 8122 times)

jags

too feckin comedians.

il padrone

It's all there on Youtube for you  jags, lots of videos too.

http://youtu.be/tW01X96LQxk

jags

sorry i got wrong end of the stick as per usual :-[
i wanted to know more on how to install a dynamo set up.sorry.

anto.

Andre Jute

But, Anto, I can't make a video of a dynamo setup. I don't have a dynamo. I have a Bafang QSWXK at the front hub where everyone else has a dynamo. Lamps attached to it light up only when the wheel turns backwards. I don't wire my lamps to a dynamo but to a 36V battery. Which reminds me of something I've been meaning to show the other Bafang Boys, but I'd better make another thread for it.

Anyway, I don't see what's such a big deal about wiring up a hub dynamo. You plug the wires into the dynamo, you plug the other end into the headlamp, if the lamp doesn't light when the switch is on and the wheel is turned, you switch the wires around, then it works. You plug in the rear lamp on the other two terminals on the back of the headlamp, if the rear lamp doesn't light when the front lamp is on and the wheel turns, you swap those two wires around, then it works. Bob's your uncle. It's impossible to go wrong, and you can do no harm by trial and error.

jags

i wired up the sherpa no bother andre but you boys have connectors coming out of every tube  for charging  and boiling the kettle   and it never seems to catch fire.

i was going to drill a few holes in the audax and run cables inside frame  but thought better of it , i only do the odd night ride and the battery lights i have are excellent,but yeah i sure would love to get my hands on that new BnM headlight, the shimano dynamo you recommended was top notch so i would but another no problem,i think rose bike has the full wheel ready to roll.only around 60 euro but not certain of that .must have another hunt around..
btw a friend of mine put a bike together for a friend.it cost 10.000 :o
pinerallo dogma frame garmin pedals cost 1400  wheels near enough 3000 bars 300 mega bike oh to have money.these  lads come from a racing background so touring bikes would be a big no no.

anto.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:32:59 pm by jags »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
...you boys have connectore coming out of every tube  for charging  and boiling the kettle   and it never seems to catch fire.
I'm working on this last "feature", Anto. Could come in very handy. :D
i was going to drill a few holes in the audax and run cables inside frame  but thought better of it
Whew! Don't drill the frame, Anto. You can do a very nice job of it without.

As for the wire runs, I found the key was just thinking it out. I chose to run mine along the existing cables and they're been well-protected -- and virtually invisible -- ever since. Take another look early on in my Sherpa gallery or the one for the Nomad and you'll see detailed pics.

Andre's right -- if one only wants lighting, the setup is pretty straightforward, just as he's described it.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

tt2cycletours

Update:

Thanks for the discretionary advice on washing bikes; still feel a bicycle light should be waterproof but will do the Florence Nightingale routine from now on.   ;)

I measured my commuter's shimano hub's voltage output across input terminals on front light (B&M 25llux LED front with rear LED light attached).

5.2 mph - 5.6V
12.6 mph - 7.6V
13.3 mph - 7.6V
16.5 mph - 7.8V

Tourer shimano output voltage (across 2.4W Halogen, no rear light connected)

Fairly constant:

13 mph - 4.4V

I think this confirms that water damage is problem and not over-voltage.

Thanks, Tim
It is always better by bike!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Many thanks for the update,  Tim. Yes, it does indeed sound like water is the primary source of failure in this case. Hope this solves the problem going forward.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

Good work, Tim. I've been saying for years that it is disgraceful how far short of sufficiency to stated purpose even the best bicycle lamps fall. What with the major step in amount and shape of illumination at the time of the first series Cyo, since ruined by schlimbesserung, the major shortfall remaining is waterproofing.

tt2cycletours

Thanks to everyone for helpful advice and comments; it is greatly appreciated.

I have gone for a Philips safe ride, 60 lux:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Saferide-Light-Dynamo-Driven/dp/B0047T6JSW

It is stated on the box that it is waterproof although it has no auto function. 

I guess you can't have it all :)
It is always better by bike!

rifraf

I know your headlights have had some over voltage protection but I seem to remember reading about this issue elsewhere on the net.
The answer from my poor memory was the addition of Shimano's own.
Their SM-DH10 in the circuit was supposed to eliminate problems with over voltage.
Do you have one of these in your circuit?
 http://www.bike24.com/p29125.html  

Mentioned just in case water ingress isnt the issue.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:11:36 am by rifraf »