Author Topic: Attila the Nomad Retakes Europe  (Read 9454 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Attila the Nomad Retakes Europe
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 02:52:18 pm »
(BTW, if my photos are the wrong size for your bandwidth, monitors or formatting, please let me know.)
Sammy, everything looks good and is loading just fine, so no worries.

Now I've had a few moments free and had the chance to read and fully appreciate your posts, I want to comment, telling you how impressed I am with the outcome on both bikes. The're simply gorgeous and make a wonderful matched set. Can't wait to see more photos of them in use, and very thoughtful of you to post your specs, especially as you built-up Atilla locally from a frame/fork set, the preferred method for those living Down Under. Seeing this is bound to help others, just as it has to see the results for both Petes' bikes (Il Padrone and NZPeterG) and that of Tony. All yellow, yet so individual!

I'm always amazed at how our Thorn bikes have the same basic DNA except for size and color, yet come out so differently, reflecting individual owner preference in setup. Both yours and Mrs. Sammy's are just wonderful, Sam. Many happy rides and tours lie ahead, and a pleasure every time, I'm sure.

Thanks sharing, and looking forward to seeing more.

EDIT: Three more comments: 1) Yours is the first "Thorn shirt" we've seen on the Forum. Yay! Flying the colors.... 2) Like the idea of the cross-matched bag colors, red on the yellow bike, yellow on the red. There's all sorts of combos you could try! 3) Love seeing an open-frame Thorn in the gallery; only our first or perhaps second, I believe. Honoria is a worthy match for Attila.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 02:56:11 pm by Danneaux »

nztony

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 01:48:27 am »
Sammy

Being a new Nomad owner (10 days only!) really interested with your experience using the CTC plastic bag for such a long trip, Aus to UK. I bought my Nomad specifically for a UK tour in a year or so, (I'm in NZ)  so good to see your photos of it. I know it's half dozen one, and half dozen the other between Plastic Bags and Bike Boxes, but the CTC bag does look so much simpler, especially putting the bike together at your destination.

I went down the same route as you with my Nomad build - imported the frame/forks etc from SJS and had it built up here in NZ. My panniers arrive shortly (they are with UPS in San Francisco as I write) but  not 100% if I've chosen the right colour - I will find out soon!

Very much looking forward to more photos and write ups of your trip, the more photos the better.

best regards from New Zealand

Tony

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 07:55:18 pm »
Hi guys,

Sorry, holidays are interfering with extending this thread.

EDIT: Three more comments: 1) Yours is the first "Thorn shirt" we've seen on the Forum. Yay! Flying the colors....

Thanks Dan. Steve at SJS (as well as several other staff) were wearing the Thorn shirt when we arrived, prompting me to enquire about purchasing one over the counter. I received a comment about it just earlier today, in fact. I wore it whilst cycling around Newcastle harbour with my wife and my sister, and a fellow stopped to enthuse about the bike and take our photo! (Photo below.)

And Tony, wrt the CTC bag, it really is a far superior method of packing up the bike, especially when you consider:

1) "Proper" bags or boxes aren't necessarily safer or more reliable,
2) They can't be carried on the bike,
3) They require extensive dismantling and reassembly, which in my case, would have involved the handlebar, seat post, pedals, mudguards, racks, wheels and wiring for the lights!

The biggest drawback is that, once in the bag, the bikes are difficult to maneuver around the airport. I took to inserting a small bag with shoes underneath the bottom bracket, making it easier to balance the bike on luggage trolleys. We managed two bikes one one trolley, and all of the panniers on the other.

On a short duration, Multi-destination tour such as ours, the biggest bugbear was trains, planes and automobiles, not the bikes themselves. I await the release of a Rohloff-equipped, expedition-capable Thorn folder!  ;D

Sam
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:28:05 am by Slammin Sammy »

nztony

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 11:15:25 am »
Thanks for the update on the CTC bag Sam, the more I read the more I like the CTC method.

nztony

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 09:19:39 am »
Sam,

Do you know how much your Nomad weighed once packed up in the CTC Bag? I know my bike, a 590L is bigger than yours, but it will give me a rough guide for now. (I've just ordered 2 x CTC bags from Wiggle for an upcoming trip.)

Or... does anyone know the basic weight of a 590L with Expedition Racks but no panniers etc, just the basic bike with wheels, pedals, handbars, seat, etc etc. I know then that I'll just add the tiny weight of the CTC Bag to get the weight of the bike for air travel.

Many thanks
Tony

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 12:10:15 pm »
Sam,

Do you know how much your Nomad weighed once packed up in the CTC Bag? I know my bike, a 590L is bigger than yours, but it will give me a rough guide for now. (I've just ordered 2 x CTC bags from Wiggle)

Hi Tony,

This is weird - I replied to this earlier today, but it seems to have disappeared. I'll repeat:

Although my frame is slightly smaller, I built my Nomad with some "non-standard" components, like the n'lock stem and Abus Amparo lock, so I would expect it to weigh a little more. When built, it weighed a little over 19kg (racks but no add-ons, 2 inch Duremes).

At check-in, I removed the pedals and carried them separately, but added a bag with my shoes under the BB to support the bike on airport trolleys. It weighed a little over 20kg, including a Topeak MM pump.

Hope this helps.

Sam

jags

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 04:38:38 pm »
Sam it's a cracking bike its great to think you could load as much gear on her and travel the planet knowing the bike would be trouble free ,Well except from baggage handlers.
enjoy every pedal stroke your also a lucky guy that you have the perfect touring partener in your wife.
happy travels stay safe.

jags.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 11:49:58 am »
Sam it's a cracking bike its great to think you could load as much gear on her and travel the planet knowing the bike would be trouble free ,Well except from baggage handlers.
enjoy every pedal stroke your also a lucky guy that you have the perfect touring partener in your wife.
happy travels stay safe.

jags.

Thanks Anto - I very much appreciate the sentiments!

And like I have said, one place on the planet we'll definitely be returning to is your Emerald Isle. We'll see if we can organise a catch-up!

I'm hoping to get time to write a review of Attila's and Honoria's performance to date very soon. I'm in Singapore this week, so maybe I'll knock it over on the return flight...

Best regards,
Sam

nztony

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 02:44:26 am »
Sam,

Many thanks for the reply - I've been busy doing some long rides lately (getting in some good practice) and haven't logged into the forum for a few days.
Yesterday at the end of long ride (long for me any way, at 95km two days in a row) I stopped at a friend's house and used the his electronic scales with a hook on it for weighing suitcases etc and my Thorn 590L came out at 17.5kg including the front and rear racks (without panniers though.) I was pleasantly surprised at that, as I can fly in NZ with up to 23kg before I get hit with weight penalties. Although I will get hit with some kind of financial penalty as it will be my second bag. Watch this space, I may have a little trip to report shortly. Actually I completed my first 4 day, 3 night tour on it a couple of weeks ago, but as per usual, I haven't processed all the photos yet, so I will wait until that they are all done - 75% there!.
Thanks
Tony

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 09:40:21 pm »
Yesterday at the end of long ride (long for me any way, at 95km two days in a row) I stopped at a friend's house and used the his electronic scales with a hook on it for weighing suitcases etc and my Thorn 590L came out at 17.5kg including the front and rear racks (without panniers though.)

Hmmm... 2kg lighter than mine? I'll have to check mine again. I'm in Singapore on business but will be home on the weekend. I have one of those Park Tools digital scales, but I've no idea if it's calibrated. I also have a cheaper spring-loaded luggage scale, which I'll use to back-check, but it's hard to read.

I'll weight the bike with all fixings (brackets, racks etc), but with no attachments (panniers, pump etc.). I'm interested to know why I'm carrying an extra 2kg.

BTW, you're having quite the time on your bike - I haven't been able to join two riding days together in weeks!

Regards,
Sam

jags

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 10:47:11 pm »
Sam quick question did you try out your headlight yet,i will some time or other buy a front dynamo wheel and headlight well when i can afford it.i'll be going for the shimano hub well pleased with the one i had on the sherpa,but i'm dead curious to know if you think that top of the line headlight is worth it,basically is it any good at lighting up the road  ::)

Man i went round the houses asking that> :)

jags

nztony

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 08:42:22 am »
Sam

I have checked with my workmate and he is pretty sure they are good as they give the same readout as the Airport Scales when he checks in for his frequent NZ to Aust flights. I think I used the scales correctly - and I did it twice, in fact knowing me, a third time just to check!
The bike was just under 23kg before removing one rear pannier that had a rain jacket, long sleeved base layer, an empty coke bottle (how did that get there - one of my weaknessess) and removing my rear rack day bag with several tools, two tubes, wallet, keys, pump etc. I even carry a Personal Location Beacon, but only as I used it for my hiking and as I do cycle in areas with no cellphone coverage, I usually carry that too, which may be slight overkill, but since I own it, I may as well take it.

Got my plastic bag from Wiggle yesterday, so will take my Nomad on her maiden flight next week.

Tony

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 03:49:12 pm »
Sam quick question did you try out your headlight yet,

Hey Anto, I 'm finally getting 'round to catching up with the forum! Answer is YES - I've been meaning to post a separate review in the appropriate place, etc...

I find the Luxos U to be a fantastic light, with one potential flaw - wet weather unreliability. It failed on me in Europe in the first rainstorm encountered, but that may have been my error in wiring. When I returned home, I dried it out and reconnected both lights, also ensuring the USB cable was fully inserted and protected from direct rain splash. So far the lights work perfectly, and I love having them on (although I will continue to be wary of them in heavy showers, of which we thankfully have very few).

My wife has the B model, which has also worked fine, but is rated at a lower light output. If, as I suspect, the problems with the U are due to the jack for the USB cable allowing moisture into the housing, then hers ((with no USB capability) should be totally reliable.

We both have the Topline Braketec Plus tail lights, which work perfectly as advertised. It's great to see her tail light brighten as she brakes, just like a motor vehicle!

I've just decked out my Nomad in commuter mode with additional running lights (Fibre Flares) in preparation for our winter (daylight savings ends in ten days, I think), and I'm planning to post a video to show them off. Very impressive! Hopefully they'll prevent incidents like the little twerp P-plater who raced me to a corner yesterday and cut me off at less than 0.5 meters! I said some nasty things very loudly in his/her direction.  >:(

Which reminds me - Has anyone seen the Fly6 yet? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fly6/fly6-cycling-accessory-hd-camera-and-tail-light-co
I've already got one on order!

Slammin!

jags

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 07:03:01 pm »
thanks sam another one for the wishlist. ;)

rualexander

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 10:48:34 pm »
I find the Luxos U to be a fantastic light, with one potential flaw - wet weather unreliability. It failed on me in Europe in the first rainstorm encountered, but that may have been my error in wiring. When I returned home, I dried it out and reconnected both lights, also ensuring the USB cable was fully inserted and protected from direct rain splash. So far the lights work perfectly, and I love having them on (although I will continue to be wary of them in heavy showers, of which we thankfully have very few).

There are many reports online of the Luxos U failing in wet weather and B&M have now redesigned it with the output cable to the USB hardwired into the light body, suggesting they recognise it as a problem. Might be worth contacting them to see if they will replace yours.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 06:49:25 pm by rualexander »