Author Topic: What do you want this Christmas?  (Read 7951 times)

moodymac

Re: What do you want this Christmas?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 12:56:37 am »
Jags,

I would love to tour the whole of the U.K.  My father's side being Scot and mother's Irish.  Most all Americans who's ancestors were forced to leave the old country have a warm spot in their hearts and much curiosity for that part of the world.  My story began here (taken from A Short History of Patilo Community of Erath County, Texas

"The McPherson story beings in Scotland; William McPherson, born in 1693, was captured as a rebel Jacobite at Preston in 1715, and deported as a prisoner of war to Maryland on the ship "Good Speed" which landed on October 18, 1716. William took up his abode in Charles County, and in 1725 married Barbara Acton. He was an Episcopalian, or Anglican. William and Barbara are known to have had eight children:"

My mother's side were lucky to have immigrated here during the Great Famine in Ireland in the mid 1800's.

But, due to age and circumstance that tour will probably never happen.  However, getting the bike and touring around various U.S. spots is doable.  I always loved camping as a youth and would love to get Daniel involved.  He is only 11 yrs. old and is short for his age.  He has a BMX (20 inch tired) and a 24 inch tired mountain bike. I'm thinking of acquiring a decent MB frame (due to the sloping upper bar) and fitting it to him as a tourer using quality parts and the information gleaned from mostly this site.  This would probably have to be 24 inch tires also.  He is a tireless cyclist, and loves the sport.  All that being done we could camp tour parts of Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arkansas, all from home.  Other, further away places, could be trucked to then toured, IE The Katy Trail, etc.

Anyway, hope you get that Club Tour.  Being yours, I know it will be a 1st class looker.

Tom

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2013, 01:01:26 am »
But, due to age and circumstance that tour will probably never happen.  However, getting the bike and touring around various U.S. spots is doable.
<nods> All encouragement your way, Tom. It can happen. My father got started bicycle touring when he took early retirement at age 63; our last tour together took place the week before his 74th birthday. He turned 96 this last October and his doctors credit his present generally good health to his years of cycling.

Lots of opportunities for Precious Moments together with Daniel, Tom. You'll both love every moment of it, no matter how far or fast.

All the best,

Dan.

moodymac

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2013, 01:30:35 am »
Dan,

Thanks for the encouragement.

Whenever you have spoken of your father in other post, it always drew my interest.  My father will be 89 the 9Th of next month.  He is well and still kicking up in Kent, WA.  Here's hoping those longevity genes have rubbed off on both of us!  Yep, the older I get, the bigger the joy of having him around.  You know, of course, Daniel is smarter and better looking (especially his teeth) and better acting than anybody else's kid!  Ha, ha.

Best to you,

Tom

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2013, 10:03:43 am »
I've been too busy with my Xmas cheer to catch up with this thread until now.  :P

A definition:  virtual; 3. Of something that is simulated in a computer or on-line.

All I want for Christmas is a bike (Thorn Nomad) that I can actually sit on.  You guys would really be impressed with it!

This really struck a chord. :(

It would look like Dan's.
Have Andre's Chainglider and tires (or, maybe Smart Sams).
Its' rider (me) would have the courage to bike some of Pete's trails.
It would have Matt's bell.  (With "Matt" of "Matt's Old Bird" scratched out and replaced with "Tom".)
It would have all of Jags old gear mounted, plus front panniers.
Its' rider (again me) would have Frank's determination and financial genius.
Its' rider (...) would have JimK,s common sense and impressive mathematical abilities.
Its' rider would have Dan's limitless knowledge of all things mechanical.
Its' rider would write such moving touring journals and write with such a flare that Andre would turn green with envy, and go into an Irish gloom...for a full ten minutes.  Heh, Heh.
I would be riding and touring with Dan, Jimk, Matt, Jags, John, the good Doctor:  Frog Prince, Richie, Slamming Sammy (love that handle), all one hundred Ians, Pete, el Padrone, honesty, andybe, fisher, macspud, horizon, phopwood, JWestland, revelo. etc., etc...
I would ride to Andre's pub (down the street), and eat the sandwich he once described.  And get him to show me the difference between beer and ale.  And also why you guys don't re-fridgerate your beer (am I out dated on that).

Anyway that is what I want.  Just a couple of bills and a wife to get around.  Call me the Jags of the West.

Well, don't know about the rest of you, but I'm on my way! Andre, do us a favour and tell the publican to stock up - we're settling in for a spell!  ;D

Hope everybody got what they wanted and it was not a virtual present!

Tom, you made my Boxing Day. I hope you can get back to your loved ones as soon as possible, safely and with Godspeed. You will achieve all that you ever dreamed, of that you can be sure!

Happy Holidays,
Sam

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2013, 10:56:43 am »
A definition:  virtual; 3. Of something that is simulated in a computer or on-line.

All I want for Christmas is a bike (Thorn Nomad) that I can actually sit on.  You guys would really be impressed with it!

It would look like Dan's.
Have Andre's Chainglider and tires (or, maybe Smart Sams).
Its' rider (me) would have the courage to bike some of Pete's trails.
It would have Matt's bell.  (With "Matt" of "Matt's Old Bird" scratched out and replaced with "Tom".)
It would have all of Jags old gear mounted, plus front panniers.
Its' rider (again me) would have Frank's determination and financial genius.
Its' rider (...) would have JimK,s common sense and impressive mathematical abilities.
Its' rider would have Dan's limitless knowledge of all things mechanical.
Its' rider would write such moving touring journals and write with such a flare that Andre would turn green with envy, and go into an Irish gloom...for a full ten minutes.  Heh, Heh.
I would be riding and touring with Dan, Jimk, Matt, Jags, John, the good Doctor:  Frog Prince, Richie, Slamming Sammy (love that handle), all one hundred Ians, Pete, el Padrone, honesty, andybe, fisher, macspud, horizon, phopwood, JWestland, revelo. etc., etc...
I would ride to Andre's pub (down the street), and eat the sandwich he once described.  And get him to show me the difference between beer and ale.  And also why you guys don't re-fridgerate your beer (am I out dated on that).

Anyway that is what I want.  Just a couple of bills and a wife to get around.  Call me the Jags of the West.

Can anybody tell that I am sitting in a Montana truck stop parking lot on Christmas day with absolutely nothing to do?

Hope everybody got what they wanted and it was not a virtual present!

Merry, Merry, Tom  

Is that what young folk today call.a name.check?

Thanks my friend. I will be giving my bell an extra ping in you honour

Matt and his old bird
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2013, 01:37:21 am »
Jags,

I would love to tour the whole of the U.K.  My father's side being Scot and mother's Irish.  Most all Americans who's ancestors were forced to leave the old country have a warm spot in their hearts and much curiosity for that part of the world.  My story began here (taken from A Short History of Patilo Community of Erath County, Texas

"The McPherson story beings in Scotland; William McPherson, born in 1693, was captured as a rebel Jacobite at Preston in 1715, and deported as a prisoner of war to Maryland on the ship "Good Speed" which landed on October 18, 1716. William took up his abode in Charles County, and in 1725 married Barbara Acton. He was an Episcopalian, or Anglican. William and Barbara are known to have had eight children:"

My mother's side were lucky to have immigrated here during the Great Famine in Ireland in the mid 1800's.

But, due to age and circumstance that tour will probably never happen.  However, getting the bike and touring around various U.S. spots is doable.  I always loved camping as a youth and would love to get Daniel involved.  He is only 11 yrs. old and is short for his age.  He has a BMX (20 inch tired) and a 24 inch tired mountain bike. I'm thinking of acquiring a decent MB frame (due to the sloping upper bar) and fitting it to him as a tourer using quality parts and the information gleaned from mostly this site.  This would probably have to be 24 inch tires also.  He is a tireless cyclist, and loves the sport.  All that being done we could camp tour parts of Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arkansas, all from home.  Other, further away places, could be trucked to then toured, IE The Katy Trail, etc.

Anyway, hope you get that Club Tour.  Being yours, I know it will be a 1st class looker.

Tom
Wow Tom what a family history you have ,chech out these sites might find them interesting i live 3 mile from there ,william of orange certainly left his mark there.
http://www.battleoftheboyne.ie/
http://www.meath.ie/Tourism/Heritage/HeritageSites/Newgrange/.
maybe one day your kin folk will  visit .

Andre Jute

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2013, 03:07:21 am »
Lotta sympathy here, Tom, for people getting on a bit beyond touring. But plenty of tours happening, and being posted. Many super photographers buy Thorns. Add some description and it's almost as a good as riding along. Slammin' Sam's post is a fine example.

moodymac

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 07:52:10 pm »
Thanks Jags, great sites.  Enjoyed them.

Andre,  no sympathy needed.  Been enjoying those articles and the ones posted on crazyguyonabike for some time.  Your right, much pleasure in reading the commentary and looking at the pictures.

I noticed you picked up on Sammy's wife's mixte frame.  So did I.  Did not know Thorn made them.  Looks perfect for getting a foot over the bar.  Was that your purpose choosing for the beautiful Utopia Kranich?  My bet goes for the engineering side of it.

Tom
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:58:50 pm by moodymac »

mickeg

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 01:22:50 am »
Got what I asked for.  One Marathon Winter.  (I paid for the other one.)