Author Topic: What do you do over the Christmas holiday?  (Read 11243 times)

Neil Jones

Re: What do you do over the Christmas holiday?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 05:54:03 pm »
Well done Andre, a ride in the rain is better than no ride at all.
Come on Jags, we can't give these Kiwi's any more ammunition, there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 06:17:09 pm »
 ;D

Pete

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

jags

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 06:44:33 pm »
Your right Neil all that sun can't be good for a person ,give me frost bite anyday ;)
and your right if you have the right gear and right frame of mind then the weather is not a big deal.

(YEAH  RiGHT )

anto just into hiding.at least until the weather picks up.

Neil Jones

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 09:08:52 pm »
Blimey Jags it a long wait till June.

jags

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 09:45:44 pm »
 ;D ;D ah it wont be that long Neil.

Andre Jute

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 11:35:30 pm »
Blimey Jags it a long wait till June.

Nothing beats a good Welsh gloom!

John Saxby

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2013, 04:22:07 pm »
... so far, the major activity is shovelling snow.  Our annual average is 220 cms, record has been 440 a couple of times.  To date, we have 110 cms and it's not even January!  (The cigar-shaped object in front the the hedge, btw, is my canoe.)  It all looks pretty in today's sunshine, though -- see fotos taken mid-morning, by which time the temp had eased to -18. With sun, anything's tolerable.  Looks good for skiing this week!

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2013, 04:38:53 pm »
Great photo! We get that too some years John! Not this year! 70 mile per hour winds and rain with blizzards of sleet and snow thrown in. Looks like this year is a wash out.

Anyway, up to my sister's rambling farmhouse with all the family, four dogs, four cats, three horses, numerous ducks and hens, and other menagerie, and a huge meal round the big table and later the roaring fire (the horses, ducks and hens stay outside of course!). Two hour walk after the meal up on the moor in the wind and rain/sleet/snow.

Sleep.

Prise the Raven Tour out of the garage when back home to get rid of the waist line! :D As a keen skier, I would love to go for a ski on Boxing Day! Not this year.

Merry Christmas everyone!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 04:42:41 pm by StuntPilot »

jags

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2013, 05:36:29 pm »
... so far, the major activity is shovelling snow.  Our annual average is 220 cms, record has been 440 a couple of times.  To date, we have 110 cms and it's not even January!  (The cigar-shaped object in front the the hedge, btw, is my canoe.)  It all looks pretty in today's sunshine, though -- see fotos taken mid-morning, by which time the temp had eased to -18. With sun, anything's tolerable.  Looks good for skiing this week!

wow thats class, Ireland would come to a standstill if we got half amount of snow.
lovely photo though.

anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 06:32:07 pm »
Thanks, Anto.  Y'know, there are even a few cyclists out & about.  Used to be that the winter hardcore riders used bikes with narrow tires to cut through the snow to the tarmac/whatever below. Some riders still use that approach but now, more & more people use the fat-tired 29ers.  Days like today are not too bad, as the cold temp means that there isn't too much slush about, even with the salt added to the roads.  Winter weather really messes up derailleurs, though.

The snow-clearing apparatus is a whole sub-culture in itself.  Some years back, a friend moved to Ottawa from Vancouver, and from his downtown apartment window, he used to watch the snow-clearing ploughs and trucks at night -- he'd never seen such things in Vancouver.  It's not uncommon for the snow to last well into April in the hills across the river -- and then, sometimes within a couple of weeks, it melts enough to start cycling again, so we're skiing in early April and cycling by the end of the month.  Springtime can be very rapid and dramatic -- the saying is that we have two months of March, and then go right into July. 

If you haven't grown up with it, the winter can be dangerous, but the change of seasons can be magnificent too:  it's not just that the leaves, etc., change colour--the whole landscape changes.  When you see a picture like the one I just took, it's hard to imagine the same scene six months later.  Below is my old AJS, sold last June to finance my Raven.

jags

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 07:25:18 pm »
great taste in bikes  ;)
ah weather here at the moment is miserable rain wind sleet ,supposed to be good tomorrow so i might just chance a spin i'll wait and see.
anyway have a great christmas i'm gonna have a sneakey look under the tree see if i got anything ;)

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 10:09:02 pm »

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

moodymac

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2013, 06:37:31 pm »

"Tom, there's a great book about the history & ecology of SW Alberta, by Sid Marty, Leaning on the Wind, an account of how the chinook has shaped the landscape & the peoples who have lived in those parts over the past few thousand years."

Thanks John, I'll add that one to my to get list.  Yes I have heard of him, his book Black Grizzly of Whiskey Creek is already on it.  (Along with Andre's Iditarod.)  When things slow down after the Holidays I will get that list taken care of.  I hope his history style is similar to James Michener's as I love his books (esp. Texas).

Your mentioning of the importance Chinook has played in that area solved a mystery for me.  For years I have been passing a small store in Moyie, BC, situated along the Crows Nest.  They advertise for sell "Snook Jelly".  I now realize they must be talking about jellied Chinook!  I must find a parking spot large enough for my rig to try that.

"... so far, the major activity is shovelling snow."

I sure hope that is your back yard.  Else you have an aw-full lot of shoveling yet to do if planning on using that car!

Tom
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 06:39:33 pm by moodymac »

moodymac

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2013, 06:44:32 pm »
Andre,

Positive thinking last until the digits start turning black (then it goes someplace unknown).

Pete,

You have a mean streak. ;D

Tom

Andre Jute

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2013, 07:13:44 pm »
Positive thinking last until the digits start turning black (then it goes someplace unknown).

The irony is that I grew up in the Little Karroo, a desert where every morning, even in summer sometimes, the water barrel is frozen, and noonday temperatures can reach 120F, so I should be used to it. But I've lived in temperate climes so long, I've just grown soft; I'm continually amazed at where some of the fellows here choose to live, and where they choose to cycle. As schoolboys we used to hang on the airport fence on Wednesdays when the plane came in, and laugh at the British tourists who would come to the door, be hit by that heat, and promptly keel over. I repent my sins, Father, forgive me now that I too will probably fall down dead at the plane door.