Author Topic: Tyre suggestions please  (Read 10614 times)

Matt2matt2002

Re: Tyre suggestions please
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 08:13:16 pm »
Thanks. I do shop around but wondered if they are all folding.
If they come either way, what is the difference in quality?
Does one have a thinner wall?

Matt

"I have looked on the SJS site and they are listed as folding"

If you looking for the Supremes, or any other of the tyres mentioned on this thread, I'd suggest you shop around on more than one site. For example, Bike24, Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Evans and many others offer a wide range of products and prices. Looking at only the SJSC site for tyres will narrow your options considerably.

Folding tyres will save you a bit of weight over wire bead clinchers.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

rualexander

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 10:37:31 pm »
26x1.6 Supremes only come as folding bead, but 26x2.0 come as rigid bead version as well as folding.
Full details on the Schwalbe website http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/tour/marathon-supreme/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:39:43 pm by rualexander »

Andre Jute

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 11:00:31 pm »
Thanks. I do shop around but wondered if they are all folding.
If they come either way, what is the difference in quality?
Does one have a thinner wall?

Folding tyres don't have the stiff wire bead of standard tires. The wire bead is supposed to help the tyre stay on the rim, but I've never noticed folding tires having any difficulty staying on the rim, even though I generally run the lowest permissible inflation pressure. In fact, these days I run folding tires as my everyday tyres, rather than as just a carrying spare. It may of course just be a case of Occam's Razor, the obvious explanation being true, that with standardization of mass manufactured rims and tires, the bead on the tyres and the bead retainer on the rim are both made with greater precision. and thus stick together better.

John Saxby

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2013, 12:13:34 am »
Matt, for the past couple of years I've used foldable touring tires (Vittoria Randonneur Pro).  They're much easier to remove and remount than the wire-beaded versions I've used until now (Panaracer and Continental); and they're lighter too. I'll not use wire-beaded tires again unless there's no other option available.

Vintagetourer

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2013, 07:57:10 am »
For touring, folding tyres save some weight, are easier to fit, easier to carry as a spare ... but yes they do cost more.
I use cheaper wire bead tyres on my commuter bike, but use folding tyres for touring and long day rides.

Minimising spinning weight means less fatigue and more fun for more distance travelled on tour. Hills, wind and luggage provide enough workload without adding tyre weight and rolling resistance into the mix.