Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Raven Tour chain tension.

(1/2) > >>

lo_toad:
Hi,

I have just swapped out the chain on my Raven Tour and in a rather silly move thrown away the old chain before measuring the new one against it.

I have got approx. the right length but - it seems that if I remove a link it is too tight - (BB adjusted right back) and if I leave it in it is too slack (BB adjusted as far forward as pos)

Does anyone have any ideas of how taught it should be because I really dont want to damage the Hub by riding with a chain that is too taught.

I know that it says 1cm when pressed in the manual but this still seems too tight, you can't lift the chain onto the chain ring it has to be wound on by hooking it over and turning the cranks...

Appreciate any info!

Cheers

James.

PH:
It’s better explained in the newer Thorn manual than in the old one, downloadable from
http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/downloads.html

basically as long as it’s not going to fall off slack is OK, but over tight may do some damage.

stutho:
You can't damage anything from the chain being too loose so set it up that way.  Having said that I bet that after 200 miles the new chain will of stretched a bit and you will have to remove a link and re-adjust.

lo_toad:
Hi,

Thanks for the answers, my chain is now somewhat danglier but I will wait for the stretch!

Not sure how this came about really, but I am using a Sachs PC40 instead of the stock chain that Thorn send.

Cheers for the help,

James.

PH:
quote:Originally posted by lo_toad

Not sure how this came about really, but I am using a Sachs PC40 instead of the stock chain that Thorn send.

The make of chain won't make any difference, the links are all the same length.  It must be possiable to set an ideal tension, the adjustment on the EBB is greater than half a link.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version