Author Topic: Maintenance, removing rust and avoiding rust  (Read 3223 times)

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
Maintenance, removing rust and avoiding rust
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:26:32 am »
I got a Thorn Nomad a few months ago and I rode with it in winter. I didn't put any lube on it before or after, just a kick clean with a cloth and water.

I have a little bit of rust in the chain and in the SPD pedals mostly. What should I do now to fix it, and what should I do in the future in long touring trips for not repeat my mistake?

My idea was to clean the chain with a brush with water and degreaser, and after that put lube on it. Anything else? Anything different? What about the pedals? more of the same?

Thanks!
Cycling around the world on a Thorn Nomad!
http://en.thecrazytravel.com/

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Maintenance, removing rust and avoiding rust
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 02:39:04 am »
Congratulations on the bike and welcome to the forum!

I have heard of people going to that much fuss with chains but I can hardly imagine it myself. I would just put some lube on the chain and not worry about it. If the chain just doesn't want to behave I would just put on a new one. They don't last forever. But anyway a bit of rust on the chain is really harmless. What counts is buried down in the bearings and probably there is no rust there anyway. If you add water and degreaser that might well get down into the bowels and then it will be hard to get out so after that maybe the lube won't reach down inside and then you will really be in trouble! I think once you have done the water degrease thing then you are stuck with some crazy business like putting the chain in a hot oven to get rid of all the water. People do such things but whether it is worth the fuss... I do what I can to maximize riding time and the less everything else the better!

Where is there rust on your pedals? That's a bit wild really. I guess it happens on the exposed part of the axle, right by where it screws into the crank arm. Mostly you just want to be sure that the threads there are greased - if a pedal gets frozen to the crank arm, that is not good. Beyond that, I think a bit of rust on the axle is just normal. I don't have SPD pedals though. Maybe down in all those springs or something, what does the clipless clipping, maybe something can rust in there?

My T1-T2 chain slack was about 3.5 inches this morning, so EBB adjustment was clearly way overdue! I was bold and created new indents in the shell because there were none close to where I needed them to be. Now my chain is much less likely to fall off!

Rockymountain

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 03:07:34 pm »
I've never had problems with rust on a chain or pedals.  All you need to do with the chain is to lube it and use it  :)

With regards to the pedals, I'd rub them down with a slightly oily rag and then use the bike. I bet in 200 miles, you won't see a trace of rust anywhere.

Good luck

Fraser

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 03:13:42 pm »
The rust in the pedals is in the cleat area, the cleats in the shoes are completely rusty by the way. There there is way too much rust and worries me more.

So with the chain you recommend me just to lube it prior next use. Right?

The pedals... oil, grease or lube?

Anything else I should lube before it get rusty or I have any other problem?

Cheers!

Rockymountain

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 03:15:35 pm »
I'd use chain lube on both. I use the synthetic 'dry' lube on mine. Apply it sparingly. Leave it for a bit and then wipe off the excess.

Good luck  :)

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 03:44:34 pm »
I'd use chain lube on both. I use the synthetic 'dry' lube on mine. Apply it sparingly. Leave it for a bit and then wipe off the excess.

Good luck  :)

That's the other thing. Dry or Wet? I have Finish Line Wet.

In Finish Line comparison it only mentions the Wet as good for avoiding rust.
http://www.finishlineusa.com/downloads/pdf/Lube_for_Every_Cyclist_Chart.pdf

Rockymountain

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 04:37:21 pm »
I'm not sure it really matters. I tend to use dry as my wife gets hacked off if it drips on the front room floor when I'm doing my fettling  ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 08:04:13 pm »
Hi CT, and welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forum!

I recently converted to clipless pedals on my Nomad, and noticed the Shimano product brochures for the pedals noted the pedal springs and catch-release mechanisms should be oiled periodically to maintain smooth operation. They didn't specify which oil to use, but I can see the benefit. Given the pedals' exposure to mud, dirt, and water as well as dust, I think a dry or semi-dry lube might be most appropriate.

When the time comes, I may try lubing mine with Purple Extreme chain oil, as it leaves little residue after the solvent carrier evaporates.

Best,

Dan.