Author Topic: dodgy healt and cycling  (Read 4354 times)

Donnydid

Re: dodgy healt and cycling
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 10:53:18 pm »
Hi Guys!

Since we are talking medical things I have just been diagnosed with PF, Plantar Fasciitis which is basically
inflamation of the ligament which runs from your toes to your heel. My Doctor said it could take between
2 months or 2 years or more to get over it, as I am planning on a world tour next March the sooner I get
over it the better!
Has anyone one else suffered from this and what did you do to get over it?
Its quite litrally a pain in the foot!

Cheers!
Dave

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 11:01:08 pm »
Has anyone one else suffered from this
Yep. A few times, unfortunately.
what did you do to get over it?
The physiotherapist recommended reaching down whenever I thought of it and pulling my toes up and back to stretch the plantar fascia. She also had me throw a towel on the floor and had me try to pick it up with my bare foot. She said the movement of chasing it around would help ease the pain.

Both things helped (the stretches moreso), but not as much as filling my stainless-steel water bottle with ice water, placing it on the floor, and then rolling my arches over it with my toes raised at every commercial break while I watched a television show or two. She adopted the idea as part of her standard therapy plan for others. It helped immediately and she thought it brought faster recovery than the usual course of treatment. Whenever I feel it coming on again, I do the same and it seems to forestall it
Its quite litrally a pain in the foot!
Agreed! Especially if you have to get up in the night or first thing in the morning. That first step is neat agony. Hope yours eases soonest, Dave. Now, go fill a metal bottle with ice water and get rollin'!

Best,

Dan (...who hopes it helps you feel better as quickly as it did him)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:43:12 pm by Danneaux »

Donnydid

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 11:41:13 pm »
Hi Dan

Thanks for your quick reply and my metal bottle is already filled and my foot is rolling it!
I have tried the frozen bag of peas too and pulling the foot back with a towel, yes the first
step in the morning is sheer agony! I read on a web site that a couple of people asked their
Doctor to amputate their foot because the pain was so bad!! I hope I dont get to that stage!
I will try absolutly anything to get over this, I dont want to cancel my trip next year.

Cheers!
Dave

jags

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 11:48:03 pm »
thats a good idea Dan i've heard that a frozen tennis ball does a great job .
sitting at your computer or tv whatever place a towel on floor roll your foot over and back on the  tennis ball. also the towel stretch is good.
when your peddling do you pull up on the pedals  ;) make double sure your shoes are not tight.
best of luck i'm sure you'll get it sorted before your big tour.

cheers
jags.

macspud

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 07:11:37 am »

Donnydid

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 09:49:52 pm »
Hi Macspud

Thanks for the links, I have started the exercises already. I need to get sorted
out before my Big Trip in March.

Many Thanks
Dave