Author Topic: things you don't expect to get when you place an order with SJS  (Read 1500 times)

ians

things you don't expect to get when you place an order with SJS
« on: January 27, 2014, 12:24:38 pm »
This is prompted by a recent thread about customer service.

A few years ago I ordered a Sterling frame.  The delivery driver carried the box into my garage while I looked for a stanley knife to get cracking on the box.  I opened the top and to my dismay the top cup was damaged - flattened on the front side.  I took the frame out and discovered that the head tube itself was bent - as if the the frame had been dropped from a great height onto the head tube.  I'm sure you can imagine my dismay.  And panic.

I called SJS straightaway and they organised a replacement frame there and then.  No waiting for photos or proof of any sort.  They just took my word for it.  They offered to collect the frame when the replacement was delivered or I could return it at my convenience and their expense.  Phew.  Panic over.

I picked up the box to repack the frame and found to my surprise that it weighed a ton.  OK - I exaggerate - but it was extremely heavy for an empty box.  After I cleared out the packaging I found a parcel in the bottom.  I lifted it out and saw - as the top of the parcel had been torn away - a set of accountancy textbooks.  Now I am an avid reader - always on the look out for a good book - but I draw the line at accountancy text books.

I called SJS again and asked if they supplied educational textbooks.  No.  I tried to explain about the books being in the Thorn box but to no avail.  Did they want them back?  No.  I think they thought I was mad.  There was an address on the package to a company a few miles from where I live so I left the books with a bemused security guard at their front entrance.

Closer examination of the bike box showed that it had been damaged; the bottom was plastered with gaffer tape which I had not noticed in my excitement to get at the frame.  I can only assume some sort of incident in transit involving falling packages somehow merging into one.  Just why and how this happened remains a mystery.

Anyone else got more than they bargained for?

Swislon

Re: things you don't expect to get when you place an order with SJS
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 04:14:16 pm »
Nothing but great customer service. :)

When my RST was delivered way back in 2006, the box was damaged and inside the frame had been very badly scratched!
The box and bike had clearly been badly abused by the delivery firm.

Thorn told me to send back straight away and then about a week later I recieved a replacement.

This time box was again slightly damaged but frame looked OK. However there was some swarf under the paint on one of the front forks. It was one of those things that would disappoint on receiving a "pristine" new bike. It probably wouldn't have caused an issue but maybe a few years down the line I could just imagine the paint wearing off that area a bit quicker than the other areas.

Thorn told me I could send back straight away or wait until the 100 days were up and after I'd made my decsion about keeping the bike or not.

100 days later the bike was picked up and parts swapped over to a new frame. Fortunately this was delivered quite quickly and this time in perfect condition!! :) :)

Thats what I call great customer service and one of the main reasons I have returned for two more purchases.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:16:04 pm by Swislon »