Author Topic: Which Schmidt? Son28 or Son 28 Klassik?  (Read 11601 times)

Planet X

Re: Which Schmidt? Son28 or Son 28 Klassik?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 11:54:25 am »
That's grand. Don't use a dedicated GPS just a Nokia SmartPhone.
Have a nice Solar / Wind up radio which is brill.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 04:42:42 pm »
Did I buy the wrong hub? Surely not?

Hi PlanetX!

I think I can clarify. Take a look at the SON product brochure here, in English: http://www.nabendynamo.de/produkte/pdf/english/Prospekt_SON_28_neu_e_2012.pdf

Look at the top graph (the red and black one). Voltage is on the left, speed runs along the bottom.

You'll see the SON28 Klassik/(new) both produce more power at lower speeds than the SON Deluxe. The SON Deluxe (the one with less drag) produces less electricity at lower speeds.

By the time you hit 25kph/15mph, the output is very similar, and by 30kph/18.6mph, the output is nearly identical.

What this means is, if you are a faster rider (say a randonneur) who will be riding along at a good clip, the hubs end up with identical output at higher speeds. If you find yourself riding at ~20kph/12mph and below, you'll have more "juice" available at those lower speeds if you use a SON28 Klassic/(new).

If you get a SON Deluxe and ride slow, it will either a) take longer to charge /or/ b) produce insufficent voltage to power some gadgets until you pedal faster. Yes, the cache battery in the Luxos U will make up for some of that difference -- for awhile, until it is exhausted (it does not have a very big capacity). When the Luxos U's internal cache battery is exhausted, the circuitry makes recharging the internal cache battery a priority, so USB output falls. That can cause some USB-powered gadgets to blink on and off under those circumstances until the cache battery is full again. If the gadget is "off" and merely charging, then charging will indeed take longer and may be interrupted until the U's internal cache battery is refilled if it has already run flat.

The SON29 Klassik/(new) can sometimes power the lights and power or recharge devices simultaneously, depending on how much power the gadgets require. In almost all circumstances, a dyno-based charging system will have more electricity available for charging or powering gadgets if the lights are turned off at the time. Running both at once slices the pie more thinly. Similarly, you'll achieve fastest charging if your gadget is turned off while charging. Trying to power it while charging is often too much for the dyno to accomplish -- demand is simply more than it can supply.

Sadly, the one Great Unknown in any dyno-charging system is whether it will work with a particular combination or hub/charger/device. USB-powered gadgets are requiring more current these days, and can be a real challenge for dynohubs designed to deliver standard USB 2.0 levels of power, usually a nominal 5.0vdc @ 0.5A/500mA (give or take a small tolerance window).

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

Planet X

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 04:51:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply.
Shouldn't be a problem really as the light will be mostly used for commuting duties. Might do a 300K Audax next year where it'll come in handy.
I'd only be recharging a smart phone really, so should be OK.
LED lights use less juice than Halogen I take it?

jags

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 05:09:14 pm »
planet x are you doing the louth audax 200km end of july. ;)

Planet X

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 05:15:45 pm »
Nope. Too far up country. Plan to do the Lon Las Cymru in mid July. Plan!
Cycle down to Rosslare, ferry over to Pembroke Dock, meet the Trail at Brecon and head up to Holyhead.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 05:21:19 pm »
LED lights use less juice than Halogen I take it?
Yes! Much less. Just a fraction.

Best,

Dan.

Planet X

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 02:46:59 pm »
Happy enough now, all sorted,

Was dreading the wiring but it turned out to be very simple.
SONdelux and Luxos U.

jags

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 03:53:44 pm »
Planet x just been posting a reply on boards did you read Ians report on here about the set up.

Planet X

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 04:36:09 pm »
Yep. Sure did.

Have been reading reviews about both hub and Light for months now. It's just what I wanted.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 04:39:36 pm »
Nice looking photos and a "clean" installation, Planet X! Looking forward to the ride reports with it.

Best,

Dan. (...who is so pressed for time at the moment)

jags

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 04:46:37 pm »
hope its cycling related Dan. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 05:10:27 pm »
hope its cycling related Dan.
<nods> Yep, and charging- and lighting-related, too.
• Nomad lighting and charging via SON28 (new)? Check.
• Solar with accumulator? Check.
• Trailer lighting and charging via SON28 Klassik? Almost there; today should see it done. Got all the components soldered to my home-etched circuit boards and they now reside in a waterproof case I made and are mounted to the trailer on my brackets. Finishing the installation now.

Everything is sorted and works reliably rain, shine, or dust-storm -- yay!

Best,

Dan. (...who is going back to the soldering iron and heat gun in a few minutes)

jags

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013, 05:23:12 pm »
Wow great news Dan look forward to seeing the final rig sounds like a great set up for adventure touring jack and denice may never see you again all the  comforts of home on ya bike.