Author Topic: thermarest neoair review.  (Read 3561 times)

jags

thermarest neoair review.
« on: May 28, 2013, 06:15:37 pm »
http://tomsbiketrip.com/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-ultralight-camping-mat-review/?fb_source=pubv1

brilliant review well worth a read and note bike with just rear panniers  ;)

cheers
jags.

Andre Jute

Re: thermarest neoair review.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:34:52 pm »
That's an enthusiastic review. I just wonder, Anto, what about the nylon cover rustling like crumpled paper when a lady asks if she can -- er -- sit on your mat with you?

Not that with a transparent tent like that fellow has, there is any danger of hanky-panky, you understand, except for exhibitionists.

Andre Jute

PS: Note how low the centre of gravity of the reviewer's load is, even with only two panniers. Clearly, a most experienced cycle tourist with his mind in gear.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:09:42 pm »
That's an enthusiastic review. I just wonder, Anto, what about the nylon cover rustling like crumpled paper when a lady asks if she can -- er -- sit on your mat with you?

Not that with a transparent tent like that fellow has, there is any danger of hanky-panky, you understand, except for exhibitionists.

Andre Jute

PS: Note how low the centre of gravity of the reviewer's load is, even with only two panniers. Clearly, a most experienced cycle tourist with his mind in gear.

Hi Yes
I was thinking that the nylon cover rustling like crumpled paper would not be a good thing. At the end of the day, the cost and light weight stopped me going with a Neoair.
I got a Therm-a-Rest® ProLite™ Plus and if I got back to Africa I would go with a Therm-a-Rest® LuxuryLite® Mesh Cot as it will Not go flat  ;)

Hi do you mean how high the centre of gravity of Tom's load is!  :o Why do people only use two panniers and pack there load so high? this is why I use four panniers, plus if you have all your weight on your rear wheel your just asking for  ???
He is an experienced cycle tourist's but used a Trailer on his World Cycle Tour.
He made a Film about his tour/and finding love  :-*

Pete
 :-X

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

jags

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:29:07 pm »
when i toured with bikepacker he was using the exped lite  matt (new) great bit of kit but man was it noisy i thought i had rats in my tent in the middle of the night  but it was just bikepacker tossing and turning i would imagine the thermarest is the same. ;D ;D

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 12:40:26 am »
Hi do you mean how high the centre of gravity of Tom's load is!  :o Why do people only use two panniers and pack there load so high? this is why I use four panniers, plus if you have all your weight on your rear wheel your just asking for  ???

I was being nice. I meant that, given that he is using only two panniers, which cuts him off from the possibility of distributing his gear low down on the front wheels, I didn't immediately see anything he could have mounted lower.

Andre Jute

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 06:55:39 am »
I was being nice. I meant that, given that he is using only two panniers, which cuts him off from the possibility of distributing his gear low down on the front wheels, I didn't immediately see anything he could have mounted lower.

Andre Jute

Hi Andre I was thinking that you may have been meaning that.
I do not unstand why so many Cycle Tourist use only rear bags? when the front wheel is so light.

Pete
 ;)

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

Peddrov

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:58:27 am »
I do not unstand why so many Cycle Tourist use only rear bags? when the front wheel is so light.

It depends on your trip. I have always been using rear panniers only, simply because I tend to take very little. With 2 people travelling together, you can get a full camping equipment and all the gear needed for a year into the 4 rear panniers plus maybe a handlebar bag for the camera (of course not if you are traversing deserts without any chance to resupply for several days).

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 05:31:17 pm »
Hi Philipp!

Very good point you just made about two people travelling a bit lighter together than separately. When I toured with my father some decades ago -- and with the occasional touring partner since -- I was astonished at how much less each of us carried due to shared gear. One took the stove, the other the fuel, etc., and a tent can be shared as well, cutting its effective weight in half.

Going by oneself really can cost more in terms of weight and bulk carried as you lug the whole lot. Good reason to take a partner along!

Best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 07:03:41 pm »
I have been following Tom Allen's site for a while. Its a great site, and he has done some wonderful tours. I would certainly recommend his book and film 'Janipar'

http://janapar.com/

I think he was touring the US West Coast with his brother I seem to remember, hence the 'travelling lighter with two' and gear sharing benefits. Solo remote/extended travel would probably always require four panniers.

Peddrov

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 02:05:53 pm »
Hi Philipp!

Very good point you just made about two people travelling a bit lighter together than separately. When I toured with my father some decades ago -- and with the occasional touring partner since -- I was astonished at how much less each of us carried due to shared gear. One took the stove, the other the fuel, etc., and a tent can be shared as well, cutting its effective weight in half.

Going by oneself really can cost more in terms of weight and bulk carried as you lug the whole lot. Good reason to take a partner along!

Best,

Dan.

Indeed! In a desperate attempt to procrastinate and not do any useful work, I compiled a list of gear to take on the planned bike trip next year, including all the weight. I'm not sure whether my girlfriend will be able to join me, so I made two lists, just in case. All in all, I would carry around 15.5kg solo and 22kg between the two of us (not including bikes, water, food), so the added gear amounts to 6.5kg only, most of which is clothes. I have attached the result, it's quite amazing how much you can save with two people: Blue is for one person, red is what the second person adds.

Also, I agree that Tom Allen is inspiring, he was in Edinburgh for a public showing of Janapar a few weeks ago, very very cool.

Philipp
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:09:26 pm by Peddrov »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 04:04:04 pm »
In a desperate attempt to procrastinate and not do any useful work...
Au contraire! Philipp, "bicycle work" is *always* Useful Work!  ;D

...and so is your chart; very nice work, indeed. Yep, whenever I've toured with a partner, I was amazed at how much less I carried...and how much more when I went solo the next time out. Man! Where's all that *stuff* come from?!?  :D

I wouldn't mind a shorter "shared" tour with someone. However, after some bad experiences with ride partners in the past, I have decided when I next ride on a longer tour with someone for the first time, it would be best if we went as solo cyclists...together. That way, if things don't work out, we can part ways either each day and then meet up at camp, or decide to ride solo without leaving either party on short provisions. The dynamics can change the longer one is Out There. After a successful trial run or two, I'd gladly split the load, share and share alike on a much longer trip; it makes it touring so much easier and lighter.

Best,

Dan. (...who encourages Useful Bike Work)

jags

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 12:22:43 am »
Philipp that file is way to complacated for me , :-[
Don't suppose you have an actual list of all your gear for just rear panniers.

cheers
jags.

Peddrov

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 09:05:18 am »
I've got a large Excel file, but it might be a little confusing to read, so here's the rough setup for 2 people:

Pannier 1 ("Sleep"; 3.6kg incl. pannier)
Tent inner (Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2)
Double Sleeping bag (Feathered Friends Spoonbill)
2 Mattresses (Neoair Xlite)
Water bag (Dromedary 10L)
Ultralight Daypack (Sea to Summit Daypack)
Spare Maps

Pannier 2 ("Wet"; 5.5kg incl. pannier)
Tent fly,groundsheet,pegs,poles (Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2)
Towel (Packtowl Ultralite XL)
Tools
Spares
Lock (Kryptonite Evolution Mini 9)
Raingear: Light & Packable Rainjackets, Overtrousers, Helmet covers

Pannier 3 ("Clothes", 3.3kg incl. pannier)
All clothes, except what is worn and raingear
1 SS merino shirt, 2 LS merino shirts, 2 functional Hoodies/LS Jersey Hybrids, Tights, a Dress, 1 Lightweight casual-ish long pair of Trousers, Socks, Underwear, a pair of Ballerinas

Pannier 4 ("Cook", 3.7kg incl. pannier and 1kg food)
Stove (Jetboil Zip incl. coffee press)
Gas Canister
Crockery (X-bowl, X-cup, X-mug)
Cutting knife (MSR Alpine Kitchen Knife)
2 Sporks
Wipes
Chain Lube
Toiletries
Medical Stuff
Food

Handlebar Bag (about 3kg, only 1 bag, the other bike does with rear panniers only)
Camera insert
Camera (Mirrorless camera, not sure which yet, possibly Olympus PEN series, and lenses, filters, etc.)
Gorillapod Hybrid
Kindle Keyboard
Smart phone
GoPro Hero
Keys
Passports / Documents
Batteries, Charges, this and that

Then you have the usual stuff on the bike: Water bottles, bike computer, lights, bear spray where needed
What we would usually wear: Helmet, Jersey, Padded Shorts, Underwear, waterproof socks, SPD Sandals, Sunglasses (all *2)

I tried to separate it roughly by function. Also, this way 1 pannier has all the smelly stuff and can be used as a bear bag, while the other bags are safe to take into a tent. 1 pannier has stuff that can get wet without problems, which is handy if you have to pack away a soaked tent fly. That said, experience tells me that on tour these setups change anyway.