Author Topic: XTC Build  (Read 2535 times)

Philb

XTC Build
« on: May 08, 2013, 08:10:57 pm »
One of the workshop sale frames. Very happy with it. Just what I wanted!

sg37409

Re: XTC Build
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 08:41:47 pm »
Looks very nice. I really like the xtc, I dont think they did a more comfortable bike. (also owned a thorn audax classic and Raven ST, neither as comfy as the xtc)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:08:30 pm »
Very happy with it. Just what I wanted!
...and no wonder; it is a real beauty! Very generous of you to share the photo, Phil; that lovely blue paint simply glows, doesn't it?

I always melt at the sight of nicely done fillet brazing, and these flow like water, really clean and nice in the photo.

So glad you managed to snag one. I think the xTc was one of Thorn's best, judging by all reports. I've never read of anyone who didn't enjoy the ride, a wonderful mix of sprightliness and comfort that was "ecstacy".  Jawine loves hers, which is the same color.

Please, Phil, can you provide some build details on this lovely? I notice you are running two different kinds of tire, and I'm dying to learn more.

All congratulations, and may you have many happy miles ahead.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:54:27 pm »
Wow that is a nice bike would it take racks front and back.

Philb

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:47:34 pm »
Hi. Yes very happy with the bike. It like a quality mtb from the 90,s!

I built with speed more than touring with Mavic 719 32 hole rims on xtr hubs. XT 771 crankset 26-36-48 with a 12-32 cassette. Avid single digit V brakes.

Has front and rear rack mounts for touring and I'm sure has enough carrying capacity for my needs but loads of fun to ride when your not touring.   

Andybg

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 05:19:38 am »
A lovely looking bike there. I have a space in my garage all set aside for when the right xtc comes up on the market. From all the good reviews you read about them it would be almost rude not to own one.

You just have to read the gospel according to Jawine and how could you not be converted.

Andy

JWestland

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 05:12:21 pm »
Lovely build, don't forget about the mud guard eyelets once summer is over :P

The two Humbrol Cobalt hues form a very good hue for touchup, mix with the eye and apply. I found paint on mine is sensitive to stone chips, though mine is old so paint may have dried out.

You see used MTB wheels on fleabay if you are ever tempted to turn it a bit racier, a pair of racing Bontrager went for £46 this week.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)