Technical > General Technical

MUDGUARDS

<< < (3/3)

Fixedwheelfiend:
Front mudguards can be a pain.  You can carefully hacksaw off the top of the guard mount leaving it open, then push the guard up high before tightening the brake nut.  Shimano brakes are better for this as the arm profile is wider and higher than on the Campagnolo brakes which tend to foul the guard when the brake is applied.  Salmon guards are better for Campag but still awkward to fit.

The top mounting clip supplied with salmon was S*** so I discarded it.  I have drilled 2 small holes 2.5mm perpendicular to the guard and the ran a small zip tie through the holes & around the top of the brake bolt assembly.  It works great. If you try this with SKS style guards to help clearance you may have to drill out and remove the origional mount.  I Zip tied the rear one too with a bit of rubber between the brake bridge & brake to stop rattles.

The best fit I have done with SKS types (only try this if you are clever and patient) is to fit two 6mm springs with the guard mount between them up the fork crown.  Then fit the brake bolt (a small screwdriver first). The allen key nut will compress the springs holding the guard in place.  This looks very neat but make sure the nut is tight against the fork crown, if not the springs are too long and 'coilbound' Good Luck !

Billy:
For a good way of fixing front guards look at this:-
http://www.gillesberthoud.fr/anglais/fiche_detaillee/fiche.php?refArticle=219SIL100

SPINNERS:
Talk us through it Billy!

Fixedwheelfiend:
Billy are you french? I agree with spinners - what does it mean and what is the picture of??

Billy:
Sorry! I've been away. What happens is the hole in the top of the bolt fits over the brake bolt with the thread pointing down, you need to make a hole in the  guard, then fit the washers(rubber against the fork crown) guard and finally the nut.
P.S. I've changed the link above so it comes up in english.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version