Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Brake blocks for chrome rims

(1/2) > >>

lowweiyang:
Hi. I have a road race bike with a what looks like a chrome-rimmed front wheel and am looking for brake blocks for it. Anybody with any idea where I might be able to find them? Thanks!

Wei Yang

luceberg:
A chrome rimmed wheel sounds very unlikely on a race bike, unless it is an antique!

If the bike is even remotely modern, then the rims will be aluminium, in which case  normal brake blocks will be the ones you need.

More information please.

lowweiyang:
Sorry. Correction here. It's actually a steel-rimmed wheel plated with chrome. It really is that old a bike. Raleigh Reynolds 501. Built in 1989. To further describe how old it is, it only has a 6-speed sprocket , so you can imagine how much force I would have to generate to pedal up the slopes. (That's a whole new topic anyway). Having a lot of trouble finding a pair of brake blocks suitable for it.

lowweiyang:
Oh ya.... You may be wondering why the hell I'm not getting a new bike. Cos' I don't have the money to get a decent new road race bike....

luceberg:
Well..the brake blocks suitable for steel rimmed bikes are generic rubber blocks. I think almost any block would do. But none of them work well in the wet, taking a few revolutions of the wheel before there is any braking effect at all. Aluminium is much better, both for brake block grip and for lightness. A light rim accelerates more easily. Might be worth upgrading? A 6 speed block is ok. It's the overall gear range that counts...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version