Author Topic: First time bike touring in Europe ???  (Read 2316 times)

john1711

First time bike touring in Europe ???
« on: April 16, 2013, 01:31:35 pm »
Hi all, I've recently brought a thorn raven and am hoping to take it across the channel this summer. I was just wondering if anyone here knew of some nice 1-2 week costal routes? I have heard that Croatia has some amazing coast line. It would be great if someone could reccomend a few routes.... Thanks John

Andybg

Re: First time bike touring in Europe ???
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 04:05:58 pm »
Croatia is certainly a consideration. Dubrovnik and down the coast into Monte Negro is all very scenic and the roads are reasonably quiet although you will get a lot of climbing in as the roads dip and climb in and out of the bays. Another consideration is one or more of the mediteranean islands. I have just got back from a couple of days cycling in Cyprus and can certainly reccomend it for cycling. Other considerationns are the Greek coastline and Islands.

If you are looking at more bang for your buck I can reccomend the black sea coast of both Bulgaria and Romania with the possibility of covering some of Euro Velo 6 (The rivers run) along the Danube

Cheers

Andy

Peddrov

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 05:06:30 pm »
I've cycled around Croatia a little in 2010. It's very pretty there, but I would personally stay away from the coastal route, it gets very busy in summer with all the tourists. The islands are much better in that respect. Also, as soon as you head inland it gets much quieter and cheaper (but more hills to battle). If you're not set on coasts, Bosnia has lots of quiet roads and beautiful landscapes, but make sure you take spares, since there aren't many bike shops. The Danube trail is probably worth it if you want it flat. I've cycled this from Germany to Budapest, and that part is very easy to navigate and traffic free (in Germany and Austria at least). It's also quite boring in my opinion, but could be the right first trip.

If you want spectacular coastal landscapes, think Norway. It's an absolutely stunning country, very little traffic (in the North at least), very considerate drivers, good infrastructure with lots of bike shops (although distances between towns can be far in the North). It is also very very expensive. It's legal to wild camp though, and I have had good luck with knocking on people's doors to ask if I could camp in their gardens/fields. Usually got me a free shower and sometimes dinner or breakfast :) Also, in Summer, you'll have a lot of daylight (sun doesn't even go down in the North in June), which is brilliant for touring.

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 04:45:16 am »
Hi John, and welcome.

Here's a blog on Crazyguyonabike, on touring along the north shore of the Med, and via Croatia into Central/Eastern Europe:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/watsonsonbikes

Should have a fair amount of useful comments, and since it's happening as we speak, you could contact David and Colette Watson, the riders/authors.

Good luck, and enjoy!

John

john1711

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 12:33:28 pm »
Thanks everyone ... Your posts have been really helpful. hopefully I'll be hitting the road very soon!!! :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 06:01:41 pm »
Welcome to the Forum, John, and congratulations on your new Raven! Very best wishes on your upcoming trip -- the places you're considering sound fabulous!

It would be wonderful to see photos of the bike and your trip in the gallery on your return. Happy times ahead!

Best,

Dan.