Author Topic: Butterfly Bars  (Read 3158 times)

jomouk

Butterfly Bars
« on: February 28, 2014, 02:35:40 pm »
I am a big fan of butterfly bars, meet my needs perfectly.  I have had Modolo Travellers on my Thorn Nomad since new, 10 years ago.  I now have a second bike, and would like the same bars for that.  Modolo Travellers seem to be extinct, however.  Does anyone know which of the other brands available are most similar to the Travellers?  SJS now stock Zoom, and I know that Humpert also make them, and I dare say there are others.  Ideally, in Black!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Butterfly Bars
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 04:29:14 pm »
Hi Jamouk!

Always nice when a product hits the mark spot-on for a user.

A quick check shows the Modolo Yuma Traveller is available from a number of vendors. Is this like your preferred design?
http://www.modolo.com/yuma.html

Not seeing too many at UK vendors, but they appear in the inventories of German, Swiss, and Italian firms; 'Merkin as well:
http://www.cyclocamping.com/panniers/modolo_yuma_traveller_multi_position_trekking_handlebar/TRAVELLER_B-39.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

jomouk

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 05:02:30 pm »
Thanks!  Yes, this is my preference, as shown in the first link.  But the item shown in the second link looks different - slightly shallower, or am I mistaken?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 06:08:15 pm »
Hi Jamouk!

The photo of the 'bars in the second link does indeed look a bit more shallow, but I think it is a trick of perspective.

They are *supposed* to be the same, but I've found 'bars in the past that differed slightly in both bend and reach from the original photos on the manufacturer's website. I'll keep an eye out for a UK-based vendor for you. It would be really ideal to see and hold these firsthand.

Best,

Dan.

jomouk

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 12:43:03 pm »
Thanks again!  You are probably right about the perspective.  It would be ideal to see and handle them first, although maybe not possible.  I notice that SJS are now selling a different version - made by Zoom - http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/zoom-multi-position-easy-rider-handlebars-254-mm-clamp-59-cm-black-prod30951/?geoc=us  They look pretty similar - do you happen to know anything about the quality?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 06:22:54 pm »
Hi Jomouk!

I've found Zoom to be a good and reliable brand. Zoom is really Hsin Ling (pronounced Sin Lun), a respected Taiwanese maker of well made but inexpensive (read that as "high value") components, primarily stems, handlebars, and seatposts.

I would view the Zoom version sold by SJS Cycles as a value-conscious alternative that would serve you well, provided any minor variations in the bend suit your needs.

Best,

Dan.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:43:05 pm by Danneaux »

phopwood

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 08:25:15 pm »
Hi,

Sorry I can't help with your query. But this is an interesting thread for me, just yesterday I brought some butterfly bars from the LBS the same as these, http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/raleigh-trekking-comfort-handlebars-silver-prod21511 they even gave me some bar tape to go with them.  I have put the bars on without the tape yet and set them up to fit me, I am just looking at a way to get my brake levers on the outer edge (vertical part) so it would be like riding on the huds of drops with brake access.  I did a few miles today to test and they do seem very comfortable.

Peter

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 09:16:24 pm »
I am just looking at a way to get my brake levers on the outer edge (vertical part) so it would be like riding on the huds of drops with brake access.
This may help, Peter: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=56407&p=472033#p472033

Best,

Dan.

phopwood

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 10:28:21 pm »
Thanks Dan that helps I will need longer brake cables but that's easy enough.

Peter.

jomouk

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 06:57:21 pm »

I've found Zoom to be a good and reliable brand. Zoom is really Hsin Ling (pronounced Sin Lun), a respected Taiwanese maker of well made but inexpensive (read that as "high value") components, primarily stems, handlebars, and seatposts.

I would view the Zoom version sold by SJS Cycles as a value-conscious alternative that would serve you well, provided any minor variations in the bend suit your needs.

Thanks Dan - sound advice!