Author Topic: Lidl cycling goodies  (Read 2056 times)

in4

Lidl cycling goodies
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:14:25 pm »
Lidl have a variety of cycling in store from Thursday. Clothing, tools, spares etc. No idea re. quality but worth a look probably.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?id=16

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Lidl cycling goodies
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 07:36:01 pm »
"Oh!", says Dan wistfully, "I wish we had Lidl/Adi stores here". I loved the ones I saw in the NL and BE. Rarely, a local grocery outlet will get food items from Aldi, but that's it.

Except for the rear-mounted kickstand that seems to be missing a brace, the rest looks pretty workable at astonishingly good prices.

Reminds me of some of the Amazon and eBay offerings I've seen.

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks cheap stuff at great prices can still be serviceable over a shorter lifespan and occasionally works well for a surprisingly long time)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:46:06 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:53:34 pm »
A. I like Lidl.

1. I cycle in the summer in Lidl running trouser (I don't like padded "cycling" trousers) and they're good and cheap.

2. I have a mini pump that I bought from Lidl a long time ago that is superb (it was made by Beko but the Lidl price was less than half of what it went for at the cycle shop or on Ebay).

3. I have a set of bits with a ratchet handle from Lidl that is absolutely superb, and has been in my prime, A1, go-to in a crisis, don't let go with any bike I sell no matter how much the buyer whines that his need his greater than mine, toolkit, rubbing shoulders with the expensive stuff, for donkey's years. It's branded Powerfix but it looks like it was made by Witte, a German toolmaker I like very much (except for their prices!)

B. But not all Lidl gear can be recommended so highly:

1. Cycling jacket from Lidl had limp storm shields that get caught in the zip every single time. Threw it out.

2. Lidl multitool won't hold together no matter how the bolt is tightened. Flopping pieces of steel will soon mar your bike's paintwork. (Didn't buy it to use; knew it would be crap as a multitool by simple examination. Bought it only for the ali side plate with 8, 10 and 15mm "socket" cutouts, for the toolkit of a lightweight bike I was building. Still have the lightweight toolkit as I sold the bike on my first ride, just long enough to discover it was monstrously uncomfortable on those miserable narrow, high pressure  tires, to a guy who called to me from the pavement and pulled a roll of notes, and didn't stop counting off notes until there was more in my hand than twice what the bike cost me) I replaced the multitool in the kit with a good quality one I already had, and gave the entire bag of stuff to a Polish girl who used to cycle with me. Years later she still uses the toolbag, which is well-made and by itself worth the few bucks the entire kit costs.

3. Lidl standpump stopped working after three or four uses.

4. Lidl ziptops were not warm in winter and too hot in summer. But then I'm prejudiced against poly-anything, preferring cotton, cashmere and wool, or just plain tarpauling with a Goretex layer. I bought several in different colors and they hung on my cycling clothestree for years until my wife gave them to Gorta.

So, while I'm generally impressed with Lidl, I suggest you inspect specifically cycling gear carefully before you buy. Lidl's suppliers are German where Germans can be found to make something, and they make good hefty stuff but have little talent for lightweight gear.

Andre Jute
The standard of living in my town improved after Lidl came, and the cost of living decreased...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:56:37 pm by Hobbes »

jags

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:08:30 pm »
bought a gilet one time in aldi great until it rained  >:(
totally useless get what you pay for.